Which Engine Should be Used?

Fox McCloud

If we were to only have a single engine on our map, which should it be?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've never seen waste gas temperature causing any problem with the to vent supply mix, so why is everyone such a great fan of connecting the coolers to the waste section?

You can actually have a fire going on inside your waste loop pipes, especially if you syphon a plasma fire somewhere. This fires almost never go out on their own, because the moment you syphon a room somewhere else (for whatever reason) you add new oxygen to the fire and the heat that already built up in the pipes incinerates the oxygen instantly.

This high temeratures will obviously result in very high pressure which makes the filter system constantly pump extremly hot air into the nitrogen tank. A big chunk of the oxygen will transform into CO2 so the oxygen tank should not heat up that much and nobody cares how hot the stored CO2 is. But the nitrogen tank will slowly gain temperature and since the Nitrogen makes 80% of the stations air, it will have a good impact on the mixed air.

Due to the massive amount of nitrogen that is stored and also the massive amount that gets pumped into distribution these days, it takes a good amount of time to effect the actual stations atmosphere and the rounds are usually to short for it to be noticeable.

But beeing inside atmos you can actually see that comming and obviously you want to work against it.

What's makeing no sense is just blindly cooling down the waste air below 20°C (like many people tend to do, for whatever reason) because it will have the opposite effect if you keep that going for to long. But the rounds are usually to short to notice that either.

God, everytime i write something about atmospherics, i have to control myself not to mention how carebear this job has become. Well, guess it didn't work this time.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why you don't siphon a fire, you vent a fire. Make a breach in a wall/floor tile and void off that area. Much faster than siphoning and doesn't clog the waste loop with hot air / plasma. Once the fire and plasma is gone, fix the breach and re pressurise with air pumps.

That's why you don't siphon a fire, you vent a fire. Make a breach in a wall/floor tile and void off that area. Much faster than siphoning and doesn't clog the waste loop with hot air / plasma. Once the fire and plasma is gone, fix the breach and re pressurise with air pumps.

If you have the time, if only one single room is burning, if no one is actually inside or near that rooms fighting for their lifes and an outside wall is even available, then yes, this is a preferred method.

What should actually happen during a space station fire:

1) firelocks close and cannot be opened in any way whatsoever.

2) emergency floor panel self destructs, venting the fire

3) firelocks return to a "can be unlocked by engineers" state

4) engineers enter the voided area in eva suits, repair the breach and repressurise.

Three dead crew from venting a fire is worth saving a quarter of a station. If there was one patch I would make if I could, it would be to stop fire locks being opened by anything short of an engineer's/command id, and punish those who open them in a way that endangers the station.

To be honest this should fall under "keep the station intact for everyone to use" but it's not applied because firelocks are ignored so often (by idiots).

Rant over.

To be honest this should fall under "keep the station intact for everyone to use" but it's not applied because firelocks are ignored so often (by idiots).

What?

WHAT

Jesus Christ, are you INSANE?! Do you have ANY IDEA what happens when those emergency shutters go down? No, of course you don't. NO ONE does. Who KNOWS what could be going on in there! I mean sure, maybe there's a plasma fire burning with the fury of a million exploding suns. MAYBE. But MAYBE a wizard has filled the room with guns and pizza! MAYBE the clown and mime are performing a rendition of "O Brother Where Art Thou?" with nothing but pantomime and balloon animals! MAYBE the HoP is giving out all-access passes to the station! It's like the goddamn Cave of Wonders from Aladdin - riches beyond measure, all for the taking if you are brave and clever enough to enter!

When I see an emergency shutter, I don't see a warning - I see a CHALLENGE. A challenge that MUST be overcome with this stolen crowbar, and which will reward me with riches and adventure the likes of which no man has ever seen. The slim possibility of the station imploding under the weight of my stupidity bravery is a small risk to endure.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use