New Karma Role: Science Officer

flimflamm

I'm making this thread to get feedback about an idea I posted in another thread...

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2725&sid=07641cf327a31d052408c07a06b0989f#p14386

So the function of this new security guard would basically be to chill in his office in science and generally respond to any security threats in or around the science area. They would be a fully fledged member of security but they would also have access to some science departments, a science radio encryption key in their headset, and they would work closely with the RD whenever required.

An important greater function that this role would fill is to be the link between security and science that currently does not exist. Science has long been quietly building and using advanced weaponry for their own desires, while security rots with their honestly crappy weapons selection. With the implementation of a science officer along side the new lock-boxes, the HoS, Warden, and the security team could be poised to take advantage of science and research in ways that previously have never (very seldom) happened before.

I would put this at a 10 or 15 point karma role, maybe more (mostly to ensure competence).

Thoughts?

Main problem is fitting in the security office but that could easily be done by replacing the current break room as it sees very little use.

Quite like the idea though.

Edited by Guest

It would be all locked up so only the science officer would be able to dish out weaponry.

That said, all you need to do is deconstruct a flame thrower, then a stun prod, then two durand or gygax weapons chips, and weapons research is pretty much maxed. There would be very little raiding of sec gear for pro-lathe research i think. People have even stopped stealing the xenoarch stun baton!

Yeah, I can see it now. Sec tries to take all of Xenoarch's cult blades, RnD's laser cannons, Robotic's Gygax, Telescience's plundered goods, and General Research's Bombs. Then gets promptly robusted, and everything is right in the world.

I'm not suggesting that sec needs more access, merely that a science officer would have science access because it is they area they are meant to patrol and guard.

The real boon I see emerging from this is that instead of scientists and roboticists arming themselves and becoming vigilantes, they will actually be able to arm their science security officer, who in turn can deliver weapons and such to the rest of the sec team if necessary.

Aside from being armed and kitted out by science every round because they are the protector and hero of science, nuke ops rounds, alien rounds, and other such station wide danger rounds will finally be able to see a full strength response from the sec team!

P.S I also really do like the idea of having security posts in and around the other important departments, but really science would be the one that has the biggest impact on inter-departmental relations. If science is too independent, as has been suggested elsewhere, then this will bring a little bit of law their way while giving them a reliable and consistent way to interact with security.

Erm... You know security can get access from the HoP, right? That's essentially what you're describing, no need to make a karma job. But I would like security posts in each department beyond medical.

Getting science access from the HoP every round is time consuming, and the HoP is going to likely give you a hassle about it and ask for stamped and signed signatures from umpteen different people...

Usually running paperwork errands is the most boring and time consuming part of the game, for me at least...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use