Making the M911 an orderable security sidearm.

evilmattyg

This suggestion is quite simple, but I believe bringing the M911 out of admin-only territory and into a viable alternative to the miniature laser gun would be good for the game.

Here are some reasons why:

Gives people an easily concealable ballistic weapon as there is a lack of non-syndicate ones

Utilizes the .45 ammo, which is widely underused

Alternative to the miniature laser gun, which falls short with a small battery

Good for any aspiring antagonist that can't buy a stechkin but need a covert gun

Should be super-dooper easy to implement, just add a crate for it, as all the other code is done.

• fastparrot 1

Security is, as far as I'm aware, very much intended to not have ballistic weapons readily available, as they can just fill their bag with ammo and fight until it runs out, whereas energy weapons have to be recharged; in all aspects, security's use of mid-powered laser guns is intentional so that they don't have overbearing lethal firepower. The 1911 should definitely remain an admin-only weapon.

30 minutes ago, LiberatedWaveMan said:

Security is, as far as I'm aware, very much intended to not have ballistic weapons readily available, as they can just fill their bag with ammo and fight until it runs out, whereas energy weapons have to be recharged; in all aspects, security's use of mid-powered laser guns is intentional so that they don't have overbearing lethal firepower. The 1911 should definitely remain an admin-only weapon.

Then we should rebalance the M911 with the same principles as the WTT50, which has never seen regular use but is still readily available to security, like making it have less damage than current, and making the mags for the M911 bigger.

Having a bunch of generic admin guns is just clutter. Remove or rebalance.

54 minutes ago, evilmattyg said:

Then we should rebalance the M911 with the same principles as the WTT50, which has never seen regular use but is still readily available to security, like making it have less damage than current, and making the mags for the M911 bigger.

It's an admin-only gun, intended for use by Centcomm officials; I don't see it being removed anytime soon, and I don't know why it should be? It's absolutely fine existing in its current state, it doesn't have to be an ultimatum. Either way, it's not going anywhere, and security does not need another ballistic weapon option.

4 hours ago, evilmattyg said:

Not going to get too involved in this but to point out:

If admin-only clutter was this, we'd have a huge issue. Its not only guns, its:
-Clothes, mobs, antags (hi revolution), tools, etc

Also before any of this you'd have to talk to the Balance and most likely Design team(s) as giving security a readily available, and seemingly really easy to order concealeable gun would be a vast change of current playstyle, and it'd also need to be tossed with the WT's style where you only order them when HoS/Captain approve and only use them when guns are being allowed to use - It wouldn't really be a sidearm security officers could use anytime early on, since giving sec lethals early is a bad bad bad idea.

Problem is it’s just a worse version of a WT. The only time security is gonna pull out ballistic weapons is for nastier antags. If the level of violence has escalated to that point, you need a WT rifle not a pistol. 

Since a pistol is still a ballistic weapon, it just doesn’t really fit in to the scale of escalation IMO. Any ballistic weapon is a BIG escalation, it’s not a middle ground of any sort. If you need a pistol, you need a WT. 

Ultimately it wouldn’t be a big change gameplay or balance wise, I just think it would be a very pointless purchase, akin to buying a crate of e-pistols. Why buy a pistol when you can buy a rifle? 

I also don’t like the idea of command being encouraged to buy a crate of them for sidearms at roundstart. 

To be fair i like ballistic pistols, they just don’t fit into the current gameplay loop right now. 

Honestly the WT sprite looks more akin to a pistol anyways, iirc. 

Regardless; if you add a ballistic pistol option it might be more interesting (at least in terms of aesthetics) to make it more ss13-ish. Something Sci fi and unique rather than a simple M1911. 

• clown 1

10 minutes ago, Spacemanspark said:

Honestly the WT sprite looks more akin to a pistol anyways, iirc. 

Regardless; if you add a ballistic pistol option it might be more interesting (at least in terms of aesthetics) to make it more ss13-ish. Something Sci fi and unique rather than a simple M1911. 

I always kinda saw it as an SMG or short barreled carbine. You wouldn’t see me complaining about a new sprite for the WT, and quite honestly eguns and laser rifles as well. I always thought the WT looked extremely weird for a gun. 

Don’t even get me started on the AEG… that thing has a sprite only a mother could love lol. 

• clown 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use