Controllable Microbes (Virology Suggestion)

IamnotDave

Here's a scatter brained idea I had to make Virology more useful in situations other than outbreaks. With mutating microbes and manipulating their RNA with radium (you know, the "mutant strain detected" method) to create a particular microbe that can breed rapidly and form together to become a singular entity (like an adamantine golem or maintenance drone) that can be controlled by dead players. By altering their RNA further (or DNA in the case of bacteria) you can change the shapes they can form together into.

The forms I have in mind are the adamantine golem-like one I mentioned earlier, and maintenance drone type ones who can plug breaches and make floors and walls by splitting off parts of themselves that breed (be created) in ten seconds, at the cost of 10% of their health, that regenerates quickly or dissolve them (or living beings) with the same bacteria (that then comes back to them, giving the health back, also in 10 seconds). They could also be affected by hunger, dissolving virus food (nutrient agar?), food and living beings to restore hunger, and they don't have to obey their creators (the Virologist's) wishes (but are still under space law), making it impossible to use their abilities to kill or break (Virology antag is already easy enough for assassinations).

If someone could tell me how it can be implemented (if it's even possible) and I will go into further detail. Griefing rules will (naturally) apply.

Heh, but still, it's the future, we can explain it away as super breeding bacteria specially made by altering the bacteria's DNA that stops multiplying after a certain number (it would be billions, possibly trillions, in the case of the golems, quadrillions, but still) but bacteria are still solid matter. Would it be possible to implement?

Sounds more like nanites. Nano-robotics.

IRL, I think the future of microelectronics will involve hybridization of organic and tech. For instance using the body motorics, metabolism and brain of an insect, but manipulating its senses and instincts to have it respond to an artificial/augmented perception of the real world.

No reason why a bacteria will not be employed the same way.

I've never seen mass of bacteria so dense it forms a physical object.

If you have this idea and replace all mentions of bacteria with BEES then we have something awesome.

Yoghurt?

Specially bred bacteria + Nanopaste + Space Milk = Yoghurt Monster. Could be fun :)

But a sentient player-controlled bacteria doesn't neccesarily need a body at all, it could work like a Cortical Borer and control whatever creature it's currently infecting.

Possibly, but they are sentient, can't spread far and can be held under !THE LAW! (in the way I think it should be, blob and biomass is bad enough) so if they do that they'd probably be executed. Another mindlessly spreading mass of cells and airborne viruses is boring, let's make a sentient one that can build and bake cookies (without the death, unless you fuck up it's creation)!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use