With Great Power: A Guide to Vigilantism

TheFlagbearer

[WORK IN PROGRESS]

Disclaimer: Areas and item seen in this guide are not entirely representative of the Paradise Station experience.

Chapter One: Origins

"Griff bleeds across the halls, it burns from toxins, it sprays from chemistry, it stomps from robotics, and it honks in the corridors. Is griff is inborn, is it learned? Griff breeds more griff: incompetent security arresting the victims, Corrupt lawyers releasing the guilty, clowns and chemists lubing the halls to frame innocent janitors, murders in the hallways without any justice done. My station screams for a hero, and am I that hero this station wants? No, I am the hero my station deserves! And from the shadowy trees of the station, I will strike the guilty." - The Owl

There is no doubt when one says the halls of NCS Cyberiad are violent. A distant squeaking comes closer and closer, stopping right outside of the locker you're in. The door swings open violently and the tunnel clowne honks a sour note. His axe raises into the air when suddenly...

*BZZT*

A stunprod from across the hall knocks him down. A man in a mask stares at you silently before stunning the clowne once more and restraining him. Silent, no ID, an Unknown. He nods and disappears from the maintenance tunnel from whence he came. Who was he? He has no name, he is everyone aboard, he is no one.

You were just saved by a vigilante. He inspires you and you begin your journey, coming upon this guide.

Vigilante.png

On this day, a hero was born.

Chapter Two: Suiting Up

Before you can hit the station, taking down criminals left and right, you need the proper attire. There are several different styles to choose from. Your appearance is only limited by your own imagination (or what's left in the autodrobe).

Vigilante2.png

A Civilian suits up with a combination of items -stolen- borrowed from across the station.

Vigilante3.png

The Chaplain prepares to lay down the law of the Lord.

Rule #1 of Vigilante costumes is always wear a mask. ALWAYS. If your secret identity is discovered, you can be sure that security will come after you, intent set to Harm Disarm. The most effective way to hide your identity is to wear a mask and place your ID in your PDA. Whenever someone examines or mouses over your character, "Unknown" will appear.

Jackboots, which can be vended from the autodrobe, make you move faster than those wearing shoes(LIES) but your stealth factor is lost. Plus, they're quite stylish.

Gloves are also a must for being a Vigilante. Assuming the detective is actually scanning crime scenes, having your prints all over an area will get Security on your ass faster than you can say "4noraisin." Latex gloves are the easiest to acquire. Most doctors would be glad to lend you a pair, seeing as no one ever really wears them unless there's a shit virus on the loose. Oh god my asshole burns with the white-hot fury of a thousand suns.

If you can get your hands on some armor or a helmet, you'll have added protection for when George Melons swings at you with a toolbox. The easiest way to acquire some armor is by asking. If you're friends with someone on the inside, you can get them to get some sec armor for you. However, in the off-chance that security is filled withshitcurity fine officers of the law, Cargo is your next choice.

Vigilante4.png

Justice... Only 15 Points!

Chapter Three: An Armed Society is a Polite Society

Now you're dressed for success but without any weapons to defend yourself and take down criminals, you're just a maniac in a suit.

Vigilante1.png

Griefers beware!

Assuming you aren't a traitor or the bartender, you won't be getting your hands on ballistic weapons any time soon. Fortunately, there are a plethora of makeshift weapons and items you can use to your advantage. First up on the list is the Mk. I Tesla Baton TSU-420, colloquially known as the "Stunprod."

Vigilante6.png

An intrepid Vigilante's main tool.

In order to create this magnificent device, you must first acquire these tools:

Vigilante5.png

Wirecutters, Cable Restraints, Metal Rods, A power cell of your choice.

The first step to creating the Stunprod is wiring a metal rod with the cable restraints. (NOTE: You must click the cable restraints with the rod to create a wired rod. The inverse will not work.)

Metal Rods + Cable Restraints --> Wired Rod

Once you build the rod, you must attach your wirecutters to the end. Criminals won't know what hit them once these fine, wirecutter prongs make contact with them.

Wired Rod + Wirecutters --> Stunprod

One final step to go. Take your power cell and attach it to the stunprod. Activate and you're ready to take on wave after wave of enemies until the end of time charge runs out! Praying to the gods may or may not yield a fancy Infinite Power Cell. (NOTE: Infinite power cells are not infinite. They just hold a large charge. 50,000 last I checked.)

Vigilante7.png

Changeling scum never knew what was coming.

To recharge the stunprod, all you need to do is unscrew the power cell and charge it OR get a brand new one

Screwdriver + Stunprod --> Charged Power Cell + Stunprod --> Electric Justice

(NOTE: Additional items will be added to this chapter. It is still a WIP.)

Chapter Four: Robusters Assemble!

"I believe in an idea, an idea that a single individual who has the right heart and the right mind that is consumed with a single purpose, that one man can win a war. Give that one man a group of soldiers with the same conviction, and you can change the world." - Captain Nanotrasen

There is strength in numbers, especially on board the NCS Cyberiad. Even a duo of Vigilantes can have a profound effect on the crime rates aboard the station. Even Batman had his Robin.

(NOTE: Additional items will be added to this chapter. It is still a WIP.)

Edited by Guest

KNOWN CASES OF VIGILANTISM

(The following is a true story of Vigilantism, taken yesterday by the author. The vigilantes' names have been redacted to maintain their privacy. All people seen in this chapter are REAL players and not monkey-humans.)

[CLASSIFIED INFORMATION FOLLOWING]

[|||||| Station Time, Tuesday, |||||||||||||||||| 2558]

[NCS Cyberiad Hidden Bar Feed]

[Corruption detected in Feed]

[Playback...]

[unknown 1]: 2 Stunprods, 3 IEDs. I can get some more shotgun shells from Cargo.

Vigilante9.png

[unknown 2]: You can store it in the booze cabinet.

[Further scans show 2 Stunprods hidden in the cabinet. IEDs invisible to detection.]

Vigilante10.png

[End Playback]

That security camera tape shows two unknown men preparing themselves for a war on crime. 5 confirmed arrests have been made thanks to these two. Central Command has identified these two as [REDACTED] and [REDACTED]. They've turned a blind eye to them due to their profitable arrest rate.

The following shift, one of the two was attacked by a Syndicate agent. [REDACTED] managed to save [REDACTED] by scaring off the agent but not before having a hatchet embedded into his chest. In a case of extreme robustness, [REDACTED] pried the hatchet free from his chest and continued to battle.

[ERROR IN COMPILING VIDEO FEED]

Crew Monitoring records show that he took less than 5 brute damage in the attack. His partner [REDACTED] had life-saving surgery upon arrival of Central Command Salvaging Teams. In the end, [REDACTED] had an energy sword ripped from his chest to be used in combat by [REDACTED] alongside the hatchet [REDACTED] ripped from his own chest.

-------------------------------

[COMPILING FEED]

[source: Bathroom Camera]

[Feed loaded]

Vigilante11.png

[REDACTED] is shown meeting with The Owl in one of his many incarnations. A single Hoot is all that was said before the two parted. No further drop in crimes detected so far.

------------------------------

[COMPILING FEED]

[source: Hidden PDA Camera]

[Feed loaded]

Vigilante12.png

[REDACTED] is seen meeting with Jack Jones, the self-sponsored hero know as Mr. Blue. The Clown, 'Skiddles', the leader of the Prank Gang is being interrogated. Following this interrogation, a leader of the prank gang bust in and attempted to murder the leader. [REDACTED] sustained heavy damage but managed to make 4 arrest afterwards. Mr. Blue received a Medical endorsement.

Edited by Guest

[Announcement from Security Officer Daniel Me]First of all, security are at the station for a reason. The station don't need unlawful vigilantes (who don't know proper procedures for arrest or space law) who wield (improvised) weapons and armor without a permit. So any form of vigilantism are to be discuraged. Remember, if a "citizen arrest" is generally not accepted or legal, and could lead to being charged for a §102, 106, 205, 215. Also, yer not supposed to risk yer own health by interfering with a violent criminal, that can be dangerous to ye as well! If the criminal successfully owerpower ye, they can steal yer gear, using them with bad intent. Be smart and safe, stay away and call proper security! [Announcement end]

When being discreet, I've learned to actually just get a pair of black shoes from the dorms. But I've figured that its discuraging to criminals to hear the patrolling set of jackboots running around, and might also let staff and civilian know that there might be an officer nearby. 8-)

Cool post. I'd actually love it if we could get small profile clips of successfull infamous vigilantes in the future. Mabye the librarian or reporter will running around trying to get some pictures or film-clips. :idea:

Edited by Guest

Really like the guide so far, i hope you keep adding things :)

Totally agree with Nano. I like that yer updating the original post as you goe. :)

Also, note that a usable stun-prod can not be used with a regular capacitor. Also, ya could add that ya need to use a screwdriver on it to remove the capacitor for re-charge or replace with a backup or more powerfull capacitor. No idea if the potato- or slimecapacitor works though. And is that yellow capacitor a... fired capacitor?! ;)

If security notice yer vigilante actions, we will most likely NOT have intent on harm. Ya may be pacified on-sight do... expect a "shocking" fast arrest if we suspect yer using illegal weaponry... :!:

[sECURITY CLEARANCE]

[|||||| Station Time, Tuesday, |||||||||||||||||| 2558]

[NCS Cyberiad Security Archives]

[Report from Security Officer, Daniel Me]

Today we got a call over the radio of blood near the mining shuttle. I decided to check it out. With the approval from the current HoS and HoP, I got my access extended with shaft mining access. After checking both the outpost and the docking port for the miners, I conclude that the miners just had not followed proper procedures, causing depressurization, damaging themselves. I talked to the Quartermaster about the matter.

Next, I found a dead civilian at the disposals office, top of his head cut off. I called the detective, who scanned the body. A mining-bot claimed that the civilian had been made into a bot... Robotics should know that dumping bodies into disposals is not proper way to handle corpses. This is clearly breach of §116. Hopefully the detective will determine which roboticist is guilty through interview.

As the detective and me were scanning and interviewing the mining-bot called [REDACTED], I noticed a tresspasser in the cargo main office. I quickly told him to leave the immediately, and not interfering with the investigation. He was dressed up in an owl-costume, and answered me with silence. On further inspection, the unknown person was wielding an Uthani-spear, and seemed to be one of those vigilate types I've heard rumors about.

"The Owl" did not cooperate, but as he was holding a dangerous weapon, I took no chances. I quickly lobbed a flashbang into the room (note that The Owl was alone in the Cargo Office at this point), and closed the door from the Cargo Disposal Office as he charged me. Finding the lawbreaker prone on the ground afterwards, The Owl was quickly apprehended.

After a full body and bag search, I confiscated an Uthani Spear (handed to HoP for immediate return), a flasher and a PDA (w/messages of possible collaberation with the Clown). "The Owl" was unmasked, and was actually a civilian named [REDACTED]. He was charged with §215, 106, 102 and 101 for a total of 17 minutes brig time. Note that I had to remove a broken light bulb from him during a power surge, and offered him illumination my leaving my flashlight outside his cell - he seemed fearless and just shrugged.

I recommend that these vigilante types be unmasked and their identity broadcasted over radio or newscaster if caught breaking Space Law, if populaity keep increasing at this pace. We really don't need more crasy maniacs running around on the station.

[Report End]

Persona Data, Vigilante No.2558-01-66:

Alias: "The Owl"

Name: [REDACTED]

Description: Owl costume, monocle, satchel (fanny-pack).

Criminal Record: §215, 106, 102, 101.

Incarcerated By: Security Officer, Daniel Me.

Items Confiscated: PDA w/suspicious messages with Clown, flasher, uthani spear.

Threat Level: Low.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use