Stray away from jobs costing karma

block1

All of the jobs being created are all costing karma and I feel as if it's doing more harm than good.

Roleplay shouldn't restrict you from being able to play certain roles and having jobs that cost karma is doing that. Races that cost karma is understandable since that's more of a cosmetic thing but jobs definitely isn't. Yes, I get that these karma-jobs often put you in very significant roles or roles with high power however It doesn't allow everyone to gain a chance of being that role unless they worry about earning enough karma to get it.

I feel everyone should have a chance to be any role on the station, and that also means these new karma jobs. Not to mention most people usually forget to award karma to others and don't think much of giving but earning. I feel at the beginning of rounds (or when a player joins) a pop-up similar to the end of the round should appear reminding people of rewarding good roleplay. Another thing to take into account is the social aspect of earning karma, when the 1% of the server earns enough from peers to buy jobs such as blueshield, magistrate, nt rep. The other 99% who would like a shot at being that role will never get there unless they spend months hoping they'll earn enough to purchase that one role just for the coders to release another karma job that they'll have to save up another month or two to get. Jobs that cost karma is taking away the fun in roleplay and is making it more stressing on the "average" roleplayer who just wants to casually role play and be whatever job they'd like.

I was discussing this with IcyV earlier and he did bring up a good point which is, normally the more karma you get signifies that you're a more suitable person and will have more usefulness for whatever role that costs karma. That is true however a decent majority of the server doesn't just roleplay all day, some of us are only on once or twice a day so earning karma can end up taking us months to accumulate, what I'm trying to say is that either karma should be more easily obtainable (letting players that join know to reward karma to players you feel are very good roleplayers.), lowering karma prices on jobs so at least it'll be much more fair to the other 99% or just simply start straying away from creating jobs that cost karma and simply work on making jobs that are available to everyone (or removing karma costs on most of the jobs and simply refunding the karma to those that bought it already.).

I'd appreciate if this was taken into consideration and perhaps discussed between the admins and the community shipping in their thoughts on this matter. Many new players are discovering this server and they should feel welcome and free to be any job they want without having to worry that if they don't invest enough time into the server they won't be able to play the "mighty significant" role each round has to offer. It's also another thing to say that many of the average players that play on paradise everyday don't want to always play the same wheel of roles that have been around for years, with these new jobs popping up we all want a shot at playing them without needing to worry if we have enough karma or not.

Thanks for reading this and I'd like your thoughts on this.

tl;dr Karma should be pointed towards races, ambassadors, etc instead of jobs. Everyone deserves a chance at playing a role they desire without needing to worry if they have enough karma to afford it or not. It takes the fun out of roleplay and replaces it with stress and investing a lot of time to enjoy something and hopefully end a round with a few more karma.

I like jobs required by karma. I dislike, however, most jobs being over priced. The fact that magistrate is a needed job and is 30 karma is kind of retarded. I wish it were lowered so people can afford it. That way we don't have Hitler captains like the one we had last round. Ordering executions without trails..

I like jobs required by karma. I dislike, however, most jobs being over priced. The fact that magistrate is a needed job and is 30 karma is kind of retarded. I wish it were lowered so people can afford it. That way we don't have Hitler captains like the one we had last round. Ordering executions without trails..

Agreed, I think any job thats 30 karma+ should be lowered to 10 - 15 Karma

Let me see if I can maybe clear some stuff up, maybe give some insight. From where I stand, things look differently to me, often times.

So, I want to open with a scenario that -very quickly- ran it's course as soon as it started. When the karma job of custom officer first opened, it seemed everybody rushed to unlock it, so that they too, could become the supreme asshole of the station. The first -20- sometimes less, often times more, with little exaggeration, minutes of every round, customs caused a medley of problems, inconveniences, and nuisances. With each new round, there would often be a new customs officer, as it seemed everybody felt they were the best customs officer, and rushed to ready up at round start, or apply for it at the start of each shift. Many players got job banned from customs, as simply put, they flat out -sucked- at it. Rather quickly, the customs hype, ran out. Seems most shifts, customs lays empty.

Bare this in mind, as the topics are going to be steered in several directions. I will clarify in the end, however, if the ideas were presented in a more linear fashion, I do not think they will have the same effect. On the topic of races, there are a variety of races open to the public, for free. The races that cost karma are meant for more experienced roleplayers, who will likely know how to RP as those races, and hopefully will have a good understanding about the background of those races. An examination of each race provides many details that will entice different types of people. For example, some details may entice certain types of people to, let us agree on Vox, but, they may be steered away from, perhaps we shall agree on Greys. The races available, which are Slimes and Vox for 45, as they are decided to be the hardest to RP, the Greys, and Kidan, which are 30, and the last, which is the machine people, for 15. The most popular, so it seems, are all but Greys, being the least popular, and the Kidans, although at one time, the kidans were rather popular. We will explore more of this, later. The important thing to take away from here is, there are plenty of viable free races, yet many people opt for the most expensive unlockables.

Back onto the topic of a variety of jobs. Barber, which is 5, is rarely touched. However, for the same price, at 5, Brig Physician seems to be growing in popularity. As a doctor assigned to the brig, they get not only medical access, but security, as well. Two other jobs, priced the same as each other, blueshield and NT Rep, are also growing in popularity. Blueshield is often times seen running errands, and the rep seen harping on heads about paperwork. Each have a hefty amount of access. However, the mechanic, which could be argued as still being a work in progress, is still in game, for the same price, is rarely touched. In fact, it seems a fair amount of rounds, somebody simply breaks in to make a pod for themselves.

As a prediction, however, I simply do not know much about the roles, I will strongly assume that the new roles put in I assume today, which are the recruiter, and security pod pilot, will likely go rather unused. My guess may be the same for the ambassador jobs, as well, however I don't know what ambassadors will be tasked with. As a flip side, I will assume that magistrate will be rather popular, however, this simply may be a form of wishful thinking.

Now, for all the explanations, and how it is all relevant, if the ideas have not coherently been pieced together as of yet. Karma is meant to keep the jobs with power from the people that shouldn't have them, but, the system assumes that people would logically provide karma to those who are best suited for karma jobs. It does not assume that the system can be manipulated. Many people have large amounts of karma, while others struggle. This, on the surface, may be assumed that those with copious amounts, are rather good roleplayers, however, if this is the case, roles such as barber would be abundant, and races such as Greys would be the most popular. Instead, it is observed that Vox and Slimes are rather popular, as well as brig physician and jobs with high access. For some food for thought, which would likely gather more karma? A funny, borderline stupid character who ends up saving the day, comically, or, a complete coward who does next to nothing, save for stealing and being a general nuisance for all involved? Perhaps another example, an energetic being who comically appears in random places, unannounced to deliver half witted news to the majority of the station, or perhaps a non intellectual being who is compliant, and simply does the menial tasks they are assigned?

Karma is not about RP. It will not, does not, and can not promote RP. The player base is diluted, and will not provide any of the intended purposes for karma. The argument is that karma positions should be cheaper. Perhaps this may be true. Perhaps it is not. When races and jobs are used only for the access and racial abilities, sometimes at best, mediocre RP, karma simply delays the inevitable for the masses. There is a reason machine people immediately dropped off as soon as they became "under powered" with the implementation of overheating. This would be the same reason if Vox had the leap ability removed. Alternatively, slimes having some of the bonuses removed, or kidans bouncing off marauder fire being nerfed. The reps and blueshields are often times given free reign to do as they please. Should the magistrates be popular, I can only imagine them to simply be replaced by those who do as it is done now, no trial, execution by batons KOS, only, legally. Mandated, even, by central command officials.

In conclusion, I don't feel lowering karma prices will help, I don't feel removing karma will help. Certain races and jobs are gravitated to by certain types not for RP reasons, but for access, abilities, and sometimes allows for them to be the supreme assholes they wish to be. For karma to be effective, I feel jobs and races simply need to be purely RP.

TL;DR: chivalry Karma is dead, and the playerbase killed it. But, it honestly wasn't given very good breeding grounds to begin with. Sorry, pal. Somebody has to lose the draw, looks like you are it.

Exactly. I have seen a great deal of terrible slime people, but have not earned enough karma myself to play one total. I complain about karma because I worked hard to get machine people, then they were made unable to use a space suit or heal themselves. Looks like I will have enough for sec pod pilot or mechanic in six months or so.

The karma system really needs to be reworked, maybe only allowing mentors+ to reward karma instead of players. Hairy was pretty spot on but I'm still very skeptical that because someone sucks at a certain job means they shouldn't be able to play it, instead of restricting them from being something they should be taught instead, if it's obvious they're trolling than restrict them.

As Hairy said as well, karma is normally not rewarded as it was intended to be rewarded, people just give it to the moron causing shenanigans or someone just plain goofing off. I feel like people giving karma is more out of being amused/entertained then actually seeing roleplay out of the person. That's why as I said earlier perhaps only mentors and above should be allowed to reward karma, so that'll mean more karma for the players and less people getting karma jobs that haven't contributed any decent roleplay.

I complain about karma because I worked hard to get machine people, then they were made unable to use a space suit or heal themselves.

But that's the problem that players have with the karma system. The karma system's rewards shouldn't be the most powerful of anything, the reward should be a sidegrade - maybe even a downgrade. The reward should be something which is different to what you have as standard. This keeps rewards fresh without reducing what players who don't have karma get. I also feel that the karma system should never include roles like captain, head of security, or whatever. If it were, I feel it would feel very "pay to win", and those systems nearly always suck.

That being said, it would be nice if Machine People could repair themselves - it sucks when you keep dropping stuff just because you accidentally burnt yourself while lighting a lighter :P

Oh boy, another thread of whining how karma is impossible to get and thereby bad in every way. :roll:

Another chucklehead that plays some spotlight heavy role and gets all the karma, stepping down from their pedestal on high to put the low karma commoners in their place.

Is a it really a bad thing if people play characters that other people enjoy? If everyone was Jim greyshirt the game wouldn't be very enjoyable.

Not everyone can be Fred McPantshead. Some people have to be normalish. The admins say playing Ian and doing is a karma farm. I played my heart out for about five rounds, no karma.

Oh boy, another thread of whining how karma is impossible to get and thereby bad in every way. :roll:

Captain Rumi, why not give the Janitor some respect too!

I have karma'd the janitor more times than the condom. One janitor was drinking whiskey in the bar and telling stories about wars he had been in, the longer you listened, the surer you were that the story was utter bullshit and that the janitor was actually just a delusional old drunkard. It was well played nutjob, not the usual "LOL IM KRAZY xD"

Is a it really a bad thing if people play characters that other people enjoy? If everyone was Jim greyshirt the game wouldn't be very enjoyable.

Not everyone can be Fred McPantshead. Some people have to be normalish. The admins say playing Ian and doing is a karma farm. I played my heart out for about five rounds, no karma.

Sorry, less LUL CRAZZY people and more people that are robust/contribute to the round. I agree that playing something like Ian and earning lots of karma just due to you playing Ian is rather broken.

Another chucklehead that plays some spotlight heavy role and gets all the karma, stepping down from their pedestal on high to put the low karma commoners in their place.

I got enough karma to unlock slime people while I was only playing the geneticist, and they spend the majority of their time shut away in their lab, really not in the spotlight. It's not what you play, it's how you play it... and I've never played anything like a nutjob.

I got enough karma to unlock slime people while I was only playing the geneticist, and they spend the majority of their time shut away in their lab, really not in the spotlight. It's not what you play, it's how you play it... and I've never played anything like a nutjob.

I have gathered a lot of karma playing as assistant just going around the station and trying to bevhelpful

I have no problem with Karma jobs. I do think though, that some thought should go into whether or not the function of this karma job could be used to improve an already existing job. It would also be nice if people stopped suggesting overpowered (and I do mean overpowered, not powerful) species or jobs and lazily use karma as a way to balance them.

Karma prices for species/jobs are balances depending on how hard the job/specie is to RP and how potentially powerful the mechanics are. None of the vanilla jobs have been added to the karma system even though that was suggested many times.

You aren't OWED custom jobs, they are there as rewards for players that are popular or contribute to the community at large. Don't have enough karma? Then get involved with the sprite contests, start working on updating the wiki, or have popular in-game characters. Being interesting, being especially robust, being helpful are all good ways to get in-game karma.

tl;dr, karma system isn't going to change anytime soon.

Actually having seen the karma list, I wouldn't say that it frequently goes to the spotlight-grabbing attention seekers. Many of the higher karma totals on the server belong to some of the more quiet and unassuming players who often have nothing that they can spend it on anymore. If nothing else, the spotlight chasers tend to spend time sitting out in the ban appeal forum and not getting any karma while they can't play.

When I admin I sit there watching the chat-logs, and my karma for the round almost always goes to the person I see having an actual conversation with someone else in character. Someone once made my day by noticing that my assistant had the same hairstyle as them and started trading hair-care tips.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use