Security tweeks and ideas

Innocent Fire

Let's start off with security. Playing as security is quite hectic these days. With all the civilians running into the kitchen, deep frying literally everything gets quite annoying, but what's even more annoying is when there's 35 civilians and only 1-5 security officers. The officers have a hard enough time trying to keep up with all the petty laws and arresting a bunch of civilians for trespassing and vandalism and trying to kill people for their ID cards. There needs to be a way to stop this, other than the very harmful flash-bangs.

If there were more officers, and officers with ranks / specific jobs then security would be a little easier. Like maybe a drug unit, a homicide unit, an assault unit, a riot unit, etc. And I know you're probably thinking "Oh great more shitcurity" And while that may be so, I feel like it would be a cool addition to the game. Hell, even if we add more officers, it would make life a hell of a lot easier for them.

There could also be an loyalty implanted on-station response team to serious threats, such as malf AI or aliens and mutiny/rebels. Giving the crew a better shot at surviving such things.

I believe that all officers should have a sleeping tracker implant, so when they fall asleep, an alarm goes off. That way we can recover the gear they're wearing when they go SSD. I hate spawning in as an officer and not having any gear because the previous officers all went SSD in the middle of the hallway, and the Head of Security doesn't have a care in the world.

I also think there needs to be a better way to report crimes, rather than just yelling over the comms that "x is killing x in the kitchen.". It gets drowned out by random retards yelling in comms for no reason... But I can't really think of a way to do so, because every way will be abused by morons who don't care that they'll go to jail for a minute or two for abusing the system.

Anyway, yes. I believe that more security is needed, or at least a new role that deals with civilian's petty crimes so that the officers can worry about the real threats without getting gang raped by the gray tide for their ID and shiny beating stick.

I also think there needs to be a better way to report crimes, rather than just yelling over the comms that "x is killing x in the kitchen.". It gets drowned out by random retards yelling in comms for no reason... But I can't really think of a way to do so, because every way will be abused by morons who don't care that they'll go to jail for a minute or two for abusing the system.

Create a separate coms channel only for reports (:r?), give it a different colored font. When a full name is said on that channel it gets automatically added to a list of "suspects". When wearing "video googles" these names become clickable allowing to wearer to quickly see through the nearest camera, ascertain the validity of the report, and toggle arrest status.

I was thinking that as well, but I foresaw people spamming in it for attention. Good idea, though.

Part of the issue is that most security staff are already far too busy, no one has time to wait around and oversee the system. I guess whats really needed is a separate Security AI who role is identifying violations of space law, setting wanted states, and filling in criminal records.

So:

Separate channel for reports gets read by the Sec AI.

Sec AI then uses camera magic to discover if the report looks accurate.

If not then the reporter is charged with filing a false report and set to arrest.

Thats the Warden. Or maybe there could be a brig secretary.

A brig secretary might work, but who would really wanna play that role? I feel like the Warden should be actively ensuring proper treatment of prisoners, not getting bogged down with other tasks.

Yes, we need more ways that witnesses and a dispatcher desk job would benefit the officers effort on the station. I did suggest more HUD functionality. It was well received, but hasn't been implemented yet.

I also think that the curfew during red alert should be enforced to a greater extent. During red alert, people shouldn't be in the bar causing trouble, out playing laser tag, or figuring out how to lube up the floor. The clown shouldn't be pranking engineers or the security force. People should actually RP being concerned about being without a space suit on a space station that is being threatened.

How about we use the newscaster to report crimes.

Imo that would be too slow.

I also think that the curfew during red alert should be enforced to a greater extent.

It would help if there were instructions given to the crew about where to go. That and all airlocks leading to non-essential areas having their access requirements changed.

• 4 weeks later...

It would be great if the timers used at brig showed who the name of last user who activated it. :)

I hate asking again and again on the security channel who gave Mr. X an exuberant amount of time, bucklecuffed em to the bed and did not bother with doing a proper search. Mabye even add a comment field. :evil:

Having a name would kinda make whoever sets the timer, so more easy detect who is breaking procedures, or just have not read space law. :!:

It would also be good if change in wanted status made an entry in the security record of the person, so that we could see who set the status.

I believe that due process and proper update of security records will be more important as the magistrate role kicks in.

I really like the map view of the suit sensors at Medbay front desk. HoS office / Brig should have a map like that to better coordinate officer efforts. The Chief should probably have one to direct his engineers to alarms, too.

One should also be able to access cameras from the map.

It would be even cooler if there was a visual indication whenever an officer used the "Halt" command, either through hailer or mask.

I have requested additional Security statuses, "person of interest" and "believed to be armed and dangerous", in another thread. It is my understanding that these are already queued for implementation.

I believe that these changes would encourage the department head to spend more time at his desk and instead concentrate at seeing the larger picture and perform support for the officers.

It would also be good if change in wanted status made an entry in the security record of the person, so that we could see who set the status.
Yes! That! :!:

I believe that due process and proper update of security records will be more important as the magistrate role kicks in.
Sounds great! Out with shitcurity, inn with goodcurity! 8-)

I'd also like a section with weapon license and such that can be revoked. :idea:

Postby Streaky Haddock » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:52 am

I'll admit that there are faults on both sides, if there weren't, I wouldn't sign up as regulatory jobs so much.

Regulatory? As in jobs with lots of regulations like Security, Robotics (with cyborgs) and Chemistry (regarding poisons) or jobs that uphold regulations, like Internal Affairs and Security?

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use