Name review Speckels

Jamuro

Byond Key: Jamuro

IC Name for Review: Speckels 

Race: Human

Is this a Mime or Clown Job Name? Clown name for non clown job

Reason/Backstory:

I got informed that my charactername "Speckels" is not allowed since it could be interpreted as a clown name and only clown roles are allowed such names.

I asked if it was too similar to a random generated clown name and got (if i am not mistaken ... it has been a while) as answer that it doesn't matter and any name that could be considered clownish is only allowed for the clown job.

During all the time i played i never thought that the name could be problematic, since i thought it wasn't a memeish name or one that particularly breaks the immersion.

Especially since well nt is a moraly bankrupt company that sends people on a station filled with stuff like chicken suits, clown masks, wizzard outfits and so on.

From my point of view a name like Speckels wouldn't raise any eyebrows.

But like i said in the other thread i would very much understand if taking command positions would be not acceptable with such a name.

The goal for my appeal is to idealy be able to keep the name speckels, since i played that char for years but if that is not possible to get some clarification/help as to how exactly to interpret the clownish name ruling.

Speckels as a character has always been the clown version of a fish out of water ... a clown/or wannabe clown thrust into an ordinary job who ends up being dedicated to fullfilling his task as best as possible until the inevitable clownish relapse happens.

For that to work a clown like name is i feel kinda important.

Here is a link to my original thread in case it is needed as a reference or something:

In short:

I am basically asking to either be allowed to keep the name Speckels or need a clear definition on how close to a "clownish" name i can get without breaking the rules.

For that i need to know what defines a name as too clownish.

Edited by Jamuro
  • Like 1
  • clown 1

Hi there, thanks for submitting this.

I did a bit of googling and found an actual clown called freckles speckles!

http://frecklespeckle.com/

Some census data showed speckles as  real, if rare, name.

Speckles alone comes off clownish to me, but "John Speckles" or the like is quite realistic. 

Generally mononyms that are an odd word come across as a stage name or the like, where as NT would use a real name for crew records, payroll, etc. It'd be odd to have a coworker named just speckles or freckles or honker (who wasn't a clown at the time).

I think it'd work best to throw some name on the front for that feel. You could also ICly complain about NT forcing their culture on you etc 🙂

does this seem reasonable and workable? Only had  few minutes to check over and type this on my phone atm

Yeah, i was mostly worried that the clownish name ruling would extend to the char concept as a whole since it does borrow a bit from the clown role in behavior.

I already explain the lack of clown voice by nt being culturally insensitive and forcing a clean se on my char ... thanks this will work.

• Abydos locked this topic