Civilians - What can we expect? What do we want?

Daniel Me

Civilians - Post your ideas about how to make this exciting, or just plain fun!

*Civilian District - An open area where civilians can set up their own business and residency.

*Blackmarket - Pose as a business offering "legit" surgery (extra fun if they could harvest/implant organs or do plastic surgery to change identity), company equipment and/or illegal goods and such. Could be a great place for the investigator to do stakeouts, going undercover to unveil illegal activity. Security could even raid it once in a while, send prisoners off to work at the asteroid.

*Civilian Stores - Working in the shops like chineese restaurants and barbershop and such.

*Form Gangs - Making those hard working business people give you a tithe or free service/goods. Gangs could also do deals with botany and chemistry and such to get their hand on some illegal goods.

*Hackers - Hacking a laptop so it gets "upgraded", giving them the option to hack into others credit accounts, PDA notes or message logs, tap into AI's camera nettwork and/or fire/atmos alams? (Just brainstorming, could be cool, must not be imba.)

*Meth Lab - Civilians making drugs in a bad way, making meth or whatever illegal stuff is needed. Mabye brew strong spirits? Make molotov cocktails? Bad drugs? I smell security raid!

We could be very creative with the civilian addition. What do you guys think?

Maint access shouldn't be too hard- just get a job.

The intention with civilians was to have them as non-crew, since assistants generally act that way anyway. This allows the AI to not care about them as much, and security to be able to tell them to leave areas, etc.

If they want more rights, they can sign up and get a real job.

We intend to expand dorms/bar/chapel areas to be one big civilian area.

Some of the passive antag ideas I love - things like gangs though I see being problematic.

Yeah, I think the whole black market thing would be more viable if the civilians were focused in one large area. So if some 'entrepreneur' gets his hands on security gear, he can trade it out in the civilian area.

We could try and make credits more important for civilians - NT covers employees food, drink, medical but civilians could have to pay for theirs.

Thats a great idea! If an easier money system was introduced for the civies (maybe some kind of special card) that made money less of a massive pain in the arse to work with, the money system could really be used rather well. Civies would have to directly pay for cargo orders, properly buy drinks, ect. Allows for that aspect of RP without forcing it onto other jobs that have much more imporant uses of their time.

Never know which it was, but when I was finding a server to play on in my first week I was on one that paid their employees at regular intervals. I thought it was neat that it had pay days. Not sure if that would be a simple thing to add.

Maybe some kind of system where if you work a full job (shift start-crew transfer) you would get a paycheck. Could change with different jobs/some would give danger pay.

Problem is you have to factor in things like people goofing off, job changes, late arrivals, shuttle recalls....and also early shift ends, like shuttle calls or blob rounds, antags, so many damn things it just wouldn't work. Plus why bother implementing it when there a bigger things you could code?

We could try and make credits more important for civilians - NT covers employees food, drink, medical but civilians could have to pay for theirs.

Thats a great idea! If an easier money system was introduced for the civies (maybe some kind of special card) that made money less of a massive pain in the arse to work with, the money system could really be used rather well. Civies would have to directly pay for cargo orders, properly buy drinks, ect. Allows for that aspect of RP without forcing it onto other jobs that have much more imporant uses of their time.

This is in reply to this comment and the comment in the thread about making currency more relevant. All that's actually needed to make currency viable is a pin and chip type of machine. This machine can be set to a certain person (or department)'s account, which is where any funds from transactions are sent. The person making the charge enters the amount to be charged, and then the person paying swipes their ID and enters their pin. Transaction done.

The ability to pay for something by swiping your ID card already exists in the code, you do it every time you use a vending machine. I'd add the entering the pin if we're making currency more important else we'll have ID thefts in order to get the credits. For this scenario you have a simple check... if it's an NT service (eg you're paying NT or a department of NT) and you're not a civilian there is no charge (this check could be performed before you enter your pin, so employees don't have to enter it all the time).

The Chef, Bartender and probably the Librarian have those. I think Cargo also has those , or used to.

However when I brought up its usage they either paid or gave me the finger. Bunch of a holes.

Wow. Never play those positions so didn't know what the EFTPOs were for. Just had a play around with them and they'd be almost perfect. The only thing that would need to be added for my scenario would be a check for if the account to send the funds to is NT and the payee is an employee then there's no charge.

I've checked, and the EFTPOs are available for order from cargo. When I was checking this I had another thought. The QM isn't going to be happy if all his supply points are going on civilians wanting stuff to make money with.... so have certain (civilian safe) crates available either via SP or for a fixed amount of credits. If it's paid for with credits it's auto approved. Both the prices and payment could be built into the request computer so it's no more effort for cargonia. Civilians now have the ability to set up their own businesses.... Want to set up a pizza parlour? get an EFTPO and a pizza crate, find somewhere to set up shop, and you're in business

However when I brought up its usage they either paid or gave me the finger. Bunch of a holes.

Because its a pain in the ass and crew members shouldn't have to pay for damn cargo supplies!

The QM isn't going to be happy if all his supply points are going on civilians wanting stuff to make money with.... so have certain (civilian safe) crates available either via SP or for a fixed amount of credits. If it's paid for with credits it's auto approved. Both the prices and payment could be built into the request computer so it's no more effort for cargonia. Civilians now have the ability to set up their own businesses.... Want to set up a pizza parlour? get an EFTPO and a pizza crate, find somewhere to set up shop, and you're in business

Like the sound of this. As long as the crew doesn't have to pay for gear (apart from the civi stuff) its fine.

Because its a pain in the ass and crew members shouldn't have to pay for damn cargo supplies!

It was actually for BOOOOZE.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use