What does it take to be able to play as AI?

thursday0451

Hello my name is Thursday, I've been rping in various games for over a decade and am extremely interested in roleplaying as the AI. I've familiarized myself with the controls and read a lot about how the AI generally functions in roleplay and would like to try it out for a spin. Unfortunately I don't even see AI as a job option when I am starting out. Is this an admin only position on this server or do you have to gain experience as other roles first?

Hello Thursday, about your question, you need few hours(5 or 10h I think) of gameplay as borg, before AI unlocks, same for command members of other departments.

First, you need to learn what you can, and cannot do by playing as borg. For example lawset is your master, lawset is your limit, for example you never harm crew members on crewsimov. Each lawset has its purpose, and limits, and you need to be sure to stay within them. AI is master of borgs, and gets to order, manage, or blow up/lock them down.

Second, you should know at least in theory, about purpose of command members and rights. As AI its usually more calm, and there are less important things to do. When you want to wipe core(cryo), you ahelp. When you are in doubt what you can do, or not, you mentor help. When borgs request orders, when situation is in chaos, you give them orders.

Once you unlock it, I hope you have fun.

Edited by Blaze789

Ok then, I will research the borgs and try to get some game time in as them. I have some experience on tg station, but paradise looks like it has its own rules and systems.

Before I play as AI, I will probably start a new thread in the appropriate sub forum addressing questions I have about conflicts between the AI law sets and the Space Law the crew operate under, as it seems that a highly literal interpretation of either lawset would lead to conflicts with Space Law. For example, if the lawset is crewsimov and the first law is 'no harm to humans', would the AI not be forced to intervene in an execution for someone convicted of a capital crime?

59 minutes ago, thursday0451 said:

Ok then, I will research the borgs and try to get some game time in as them. I have some experience on tg station, but paradise looks like it has its own rules and systems.

Before I play as AI, I will probably start a new thread in the appropriate sub forum addressing questions I have about conflicts between the AI law sets and the Space Law the crew operate under, as it seems that a highly literal interpretation of either lawset would lead to conflicts with Space Law. For example, if the lawset is crewsimov and the first law is 'no harm to humans', would the AI not be forced to intervene in an execution for someone convicted of a capital crime?

You do have to intervene, yes, but don't do something like electrify all the doors to stop them from getting executed - rather, try locking off access to the execution room, or sending a borg to save the to-be-executed prisoner. A good rule of thumb is Server Rules>Your Laws>Space Law. So you can't bolt down all of security because one guy's getting executed.

Thanks for the advice, that makes sense. Interpretation of the AI laws is complex because 'harm' can be interpreted many different ways. I would think the least harmful way to prevent an execution would be to do as you say, lock off access to the execution chamber. Sending a borg could cause injury to other humans just trying to do their job.

As a reminder as well, you do need a few hours in Synthetics (playing as a cyborg) as well to unlock this field. When you look on the Occupation Preferences menu it should let you know what requirements, if any, that you're missing.

So here's something to also note for the whole "crew harm" law. Part of Legal SOP is to declare someone who is being exiled or executed as "TERMINATED" via their ID. As such, no crew harm is occurring because the person being executed is not a member of the crew. Thus, you attempting to prevent an execution might get you carded or destroyed so please be careful.

I highly recommend that you spend some time reading through and understanding the surrounding SOPs for various reasons as it will ultimately intertwine itself with your job. As previously stated, however the chain of command for your law set is: Server Rules > Your laws (and their hierarchy) > Space Law (considerations, you aren't held to space law in the same way as anyone else would be due to your station status as  being the AI. That being said, you need to know what is Space Law to otherwise inform others OR to assist with security matters).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use