Karma rebalance

andrewmeythaler

Now all I can do is pray someone feels kind to me for points as I can only reallt afford barber until I can double my points. At my current rate I will be able to buy a new job in September or October. That is my issue. Several anecdotal points of people getting a lot of karma and telling us to stop whining and play harder.

Same boat

Yes indeed.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you could play someone like blueshield and make good use of the communication console. Or play a crazed atmos tech with a fireaxe. (No wait, thats already taken)

Or you could learn how to sprite. Theres plenty of guides on the wiki.

Or maybe help get good pictures for the wiki.

How about we make "combos" so you can build a race + magistrate for more than the cost than any single one but cheaper than both together.

We can make packages too like a "security package" ->Customs + Blueshield

Oh, sorry, forgot it was a karma job. But Blueshield is a rather good way to earn karma.

But my point still stands. Good use of the communication console can completely change how a round plays out.

You could play an engineer that helps everyone and builds some cool areas.

How about we make "combos" so you can build a race + magistrate for more than the cost than any single one but cheaper than both together.

We can make packages too like a "security package" ->Customs + Blueshield

This is a brilliant idea!

Even in Medbay, you can spend the entire panic understaffed hour cloning people and/or operating and receive nothing. I think what they mean is that, you pretty much have to be robust in critical moments or be an interesting character to gain karma, that is kinda hard to achieve in cargonia or scientopia in certain cases

I guess the karma system was made to be that way though. I don't really mind it, since the only thing that attracted me was brig physician, and i haven't even tried it out yet.

Perhaps now that we have the Employee records subforum, that can take a role into gaining karma? If your character is a really good cargo tech, you earn some kind of Cargonian badge and some karma for it

I just need to stop complaining really. Medical and engineering do not appeal to me, and I am very unrobust, so sec and blue shield are out. I was going to try HoP last night, but was made QM.

I've karma'd many competent QMs that run their department well.

Cargo is rather difficult to play well without a fully stocked deparment. Setting up normaly takes long enough alone but if you want to do anything special you either need some slaves to order around or an extremely long and quiet extended round. So thats pretty much why cargo is rarely staffed/has competent people. Its a shame though as next to RnD it has the most potential for cool stuff.

Cargo is rather difficult to play well without a fully stocked deparment. Setting up normaly takes long enough alone but if you want to do anything special you either need some slaves to order around or an extremely long and quiet extended round. So thats pretty much why cargo is rarely staffed/has competent people. Its a shame though as next to RnD it has the most potential for cool stuff.

Other night we had excellent miners. They got us enough plasma for 3000 supply points. I ordered them pizza and beer, but they were too professional to stop for it.

So..... I got about 20 corgi crates instead.

Half of me wants to agree with the Op... and the other half is happy with how difficult it is to achieve.

I've been playing for 2 months now and I have exactly 20 KARMA. Which I think is the average for most players really, so about 10 Karma a month. It's definitely hard and difficult and I agree there should be OTHER ways to get Karma.

However the fact that it's so difficult to get Karma and unlocks most of the stuff is what makes the server unique. It's nice not to see half the crew playing a Vox. Let's be realistic, if it was easier to obtain or the cost was lowered.. 50% of the station would be Vox and the rest would be all other species aside from human.

Certain jobs need to be lowered though. Mechanic, Customs Officers, Blueshield, Representative's.. should all be lowered. Playing 2 months to unlock the freaken customs Officer is ridiculous... Plus having these in-game would NOT hurt the station and would be fun to see more of them.

Races are honestly fine though, I like what they're at and I think they are personally fair.

Certain jobs need to be lowered though. Mechanic, Customs Officers, Blueshield, Representative's.. should all be lowered. Playing 2 months to unlock the freaken customs Officer is ridiculous... Plus having these in-game would NOT hurt the station and would be fun to see more of them.

Customs Officer was raised because the amount of grief it can cause is high, therefore limiting it through high karma cost. I can see the same problem with Blueshields, and NT representatives. Mechanic is the only one I'd even entertain the idea of lowering the cost for.

I don't know how much GRIEF could be caused with NT Rep or Magistrate, but they must remain high priced so you can be sure that at least 70% of the time, it's filled (when it's filled) by someone who knows what the hell the role is about.

I don't know how much GRIEF could be caused with NT Rep or Magistrate, but they must remain high priced so you can be sure that at least 70% of the time, it's filled (when it's filled) by someone who knows what the hell the role is about.

I agree that there is a lot of room for abuse in the magistrate sector, and the pricing on that is fine. However NT Rep can't abuse much. CentCom usually either ignores it, or takes their advice with a grain of salt. And you can sure as hell no one on station listens to them.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that I've noticed is that a surprisingly large amount of people simply do not give out karma. No matter how many players there are, as long as its even, there's enough karma for every person to get karma. But instead, most people only get even a single karma point after dozens of rounds, meaning that most people don't distribute karma, period. Every round, I make a note to give Karma to someone, even if it is a random person, but a lot of people don't.

I feel like GIVING karma should reward a player in some way, to give more incentive. Like you recieve a fraction of a karma point for every point you give out. If I give a karma point, I receive 1/3rd of a point for example, so after every 3 karma points I've rewarded I gain one myself.

I also feel like there should be automatic channels to get Karma; like achievements. One method I'd suggest is after every some number of rounds, you automatically receive X amount of Karma. Like say after your 25th round you get 5 karma, then after your 50th you receive 15, and after your 100th you receive 30, then you gain like 2 karma after every 10 rounds following. Maybe on holidays like Christmas every player could receive 5 Karma.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use