Trainee job roles

claytonchris2k

Hi all,

I am new to the server and play regularly under the name Carl Wilson. I have played Ss13 a while now but took a break that left me rusty. 

I enjoy the harder roles to play but like to play them in a trainee role until I'm fully qualified to play them. 

I think adding trainee roles that offer limited access than the main role (ie engineer not having access to the main power console) would help rusty and new players get in to the bigger roles. 

Maybe even add a tutor role in for other experienced players to train new folks up

Thanks for your time 

Chris 

A lot of people state that this is what the "Assistant" role is technically for, but funnily those same people refuse to accept trainees out of fear they might break things or be traitors - Security especially. I do think that either a trainee role or just a significant change in the mindset would definitely help newer and rustier players.

I second @thatdanguy23 in that the mindset needs to change. Unless it is a station emergency (ie nukies, shadowlings, the cult is JUST about to summon their god(s)) then you shouldn’t be afraid to let new guys work, help them out, and ask for help. People often forget just how unforgiving it was to learn when they were starting out. I personally take it upon myself to teach someone if they are asking for help. Conversely though I take no pity on those who refuse help and get frustrated at learning ?

Usually people are willing to help you learn if you speak up and ask for help. Everyone's had to start somewhere.

In regards to "tutors", we have mentors which are essentially that. You can hit F1 and select "mentorhelp" and ask questions

I had the experience that a CE often enough was willing to let me into engineering as a "Rookie Engineer" when I asked at the HoP desk. Same with medical. So in my opinion that is a good way to learn a job and people will know not to expect you to be a top-notch engineer/surgeon with a "rookie ID".

Security is a bit of a different matter, of course, so the best would be to join into security from the start and ask another officer to show you the ropes and let you tag along. People are mostly helpful and a lot like to teach.

Well, and as Ty said, using mentorhelp is welcome, too.

Thanks for all your reply

Maybe I'm thinking too much in to the role play side but when the round starts it is just another day at work like in real life you shouldnt really think oh there maybe a traitor or changing. 

The tutor role was more of a roleplay thing instead of asking via F1 and going out of character.  Maybe shadow a engineer who can show you in game. 

I currently just start as a assistant but the only problem being is that some rounds may not have a HOP 

Thanks again guys maybe something that may be looked at in more detail 

Chris 

50 minutes ago, Ty Omaha said:

Usually people are willing to help you learn if you speak up and ask for help. Everyone's had to start somewhere.

In regards to "tutors", we have 

you shouldnt really think oh there maybe a traitor or changing

That is completely correct and the mindset that one should have while playing the game. As already said above it's not hard to get a "Assistant - Doctor, Engineer, Scientist" ID if you speak with someone from the department and ask him to teach you a little. 

When it comes to security it's a little bit more complicated, that's true but I managed to convince several HoS's to hire from the crew and even if it's a traitor we are hirering, it would only spice up the round and make it more interesting. 

Point is you can get people to teach you a job in every workfield if you speak with the people. Also a tip for the future, if there is no HoP the Captain is responsible for changing IDs and asigning people to new jobs, so make sure to poke him about it.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use