Wiki Workshop

Fathuran

Hey there fellas, I've been working on the wiki lately and I've been disconcerted as of late. Maybe I just haven't been noticing it, but I think we should take part in a more active collaboration when it comes to wiki contribution.

As it is now, people can and will edit over other people's work and even change large swaths in itself. While rewriting for the sake of fixing language while keeping the same "gist" of the article. As it were, there is always the risk when you may be working on an article over the course of a couple days, only to see everything you've been working on completely redone, for better or worse. This is something that will always be evident when there is no communication and talk pages are not used.

This is the way wiki contributions happen, but I think we as contributors should come together and discuss what our plans are, who's writing what, and bounce our ideas off of each other so related articles can flourish with continuity and not contradict each other. I've been working on the Skrell page over a few days and stopped at species relations as I brainstormed each race. On the Grey and Diona page, there was already information even if just slightly, on how the Grey and Diona as societies react to the Skrell. So, instead of writing my own blurb, I decided to take my ideas and mesh them with what already exists.

So, here I am, proposing a workshop for us to come together in this thread as contributors and talk mechanics, lore, and jobs; to work together and make sure the wiki is up to date and everything actually looks like a wiki, and not a series of half-done guides that all have differing narrative tones. We can sort things out, decide as a team who might be working on what, and especially, with input from the admins for what goes and what doesn't in regards to writing lore. Not only do I want to gather existing contributors, but everyone who's been thinking of contributing but haven't yet for whatever reason. I hope we can all come together and make things great.

So, who's interested?

I'm glad to hear that there is at least a little bit of interest to make a concerted effort to help improve the wiki. In regards to Streaky Haddock, I noticed you've been working on Grey, as well as made a languages article, which is awesome. I keep an eye on what you write for Grey so I don't contradict things when I wrote how the Skrell interact with them. I'll also write up a blurb about skrellian on the languages page.

Bone White, I'm curious to know what articles you have your eye on. I'll browse a few articles to see any that need help and tend to just do some language fixing, but I don't want to undermine anything that you're working on.

And TheDemonic, more contributors are always fantastic, just browse the wiki and check out what might be in need of help.

As for everybody, what we need are more images. There are a lot of images for items and a couple of job sprites that don't exist at the moment, so uploading a simple image of the sprite would be fantastic.

Here is a basic checklist for everyone and anyone who's interested in fixing up the wiki:

-Images for the Barber, ERT, and Cortical Borer roles are needed.

-The Mutiny gamemode does not yet have an article and needs to be written.

-The Medical Items article is just a link to baystation's wiki at this time.

-Images for many many items. Check out all the object articles and see what's needed.

-The Surgery page really needs images for the surgical tools in each and every procedure.

There's definitely a lot more, but I think this can give people an idea of what would be good to work on and clean up. My efforts right now consist of writing the skrell page and doing some language cleanup here and there.

Feel free to grab whatever task you think you can help out with, and also please be sure to list more things the wiki needs help with. The more stuff we're aware of, the more people can go and fix where it'd be nice.

I'll be working on the mutiny page, but I could use a little bit of help when it comes to the fine details, such as what Directive X usually is, and what you're allowed to do to win.

I'll be keeping this post up to day with everything that I can.

Changelog:

:arrow: Removed Baystation race application link.

:arrow: added Ethnicities section.

:arrow: added Njarir'Akhan

:arrow: added Hharar

:arrow: added Zhan-Khazan

:arrow: Revived xenobiology page from and linked it to the scientist page

:arrow: added Clone memory disorder page(still need work)

:arrow: Added Death page.

What still need to be done:

:? Tajaran Culture page.

:? Ahdomai page

:? Humans page

:shock: Locations page.

:? most room pages.

:? Morgue page could better.

:? Guide to Hydroponics needs pictures.

:?: Xenobiology page needs a proof read.

Edited by Guest

Bone White, I'm curious to know what articles you have your eye on. I'll browse a few articles to see any that need help and tend to just do some language fixing, but I don't want to undermine anything that you're working on..

Virology & Surgery guides, so basically let's just assume all the medical guides and pages for now.

I'm really happy to go on the recent changes page and to see all the contributions compared to a couple of days ago. It really makes a difference and things are already looking awesome.

I'll be working on the mutiny page, but I could use a little bit of help when it comes to the fine details, such as what Directive X usually is, and what you're allowed to do to win.

That's awesome to hear. I've never been captain during a mutiny round and never been a lead mutineer either, so there's little I can do to help out. What you have down so far is a great start though.

TheDemonic, I'm really happy that you're taking the time to look through things and help bring to light some of the stuff people can look at, also good job on expanding the Tajaran!

Virology & Surgery guides, so basically let's just assume all the medical guides and pages for now.

Good stuff, medical can use a fair amount of refurbishing and overall just some cleanup.

Also have to say thanks to Streaky Haddock and Tigercat2000 for their contributions, the languages page is a nice spot for some extra fluff and the new images on surgery makes things look much, much better.

And just a general THANK YOU to everyone that has contributed thus far even if I haven't mentioned em by name. The wiki thrives on people simply taking their time to work on these articles.

If folks are still wondering what they could do, check out TheDemonic's post for some ideas, some other things include:

- The Vox Raider game mode page can probably be looked over and expanded to. On Paradise it's not all about going in and stealing all you can, there at times is a lot of roleplay involved and proper trading may not be a common occurrence, but it is more than viable a strategy and play style when one is this role. Someone experienced with the game mode can probably shed some better information to expand the article.

-Map images for the following articles: Arrivals Checkpoint, Bar, Brig, Emergency Shuttle, Engineering, Head of Personnel's Office, Medbay, and Solars.

-More location articles in general as well as adding more information to existing ones.

Right now personally, I'm still working on skrell lore and all that jazz. I'm finishing up relations and recently added Machine People and Kidan information to it, so if anyone has any questions or concerns and think they may not be accurate, hit me up. I'm also planning a large revamp and expansion of Jargon 4, which is the skrell homeworld. I -may- decide to look at Unathi and see if anything needs cleaning up there, but I don't think I'll be doing anything major.

Atmos! :P

Anyway.. I keep finding things elsewhere that are relevant to our code, so there is that. Contributing is always nice :P

I've never uploaded a picture.. how do you do so and link it? Can I be directed somewhere? :P

I've never uploaded a picture.. how do you do so and link it? Can I be directed somewhere? :P

PicUp_zpsc9ac7707.png

Just click that link on the wiki, which as you probably know can be reached up by the banner of this site. The page afterward is pretty straightforward. On the page itself it shows you how to make the image show up on articles. After that it's just a matter of formatting.

I can help with anything on the atmos side of things.

That sounds fantastic, both you and Matt. Here are a few pages that you guys might be interested in scrutinizing.

Guide to Atmospherics

Atmospherics Objects

Atmospheric Technician

Additionally, there doesn't seem to be a page for Atmospherics itself as a location, so that might be a project you can consider as well.

There's always work to do when it comes to wiki stuff!

I'm working on Virology currently, but now I want to add pictures. How do I access the images to from my client, so I can upload them to the wiki? Is there a filepath to the images from Paradise, or are they stored in some other format? If so, how do I view them?

I'm working on Virology currently, but now I want to add pictures. How do I access the images to from my client, so I can upload them to the wiki? Is there a filepath to the images from Paradise, or are they stored in some other format? If so, how do I view them?

To be honest, the easiest way would be to grab the build (it contains both icons and the code), but then again the Bay12 build will suffice for looking for images with the Dream Maker. Then again you could go next to the object, alt click it ,a objects bar will appear, click it and take a screen of it. With a little fiddling around with the Dream Maker/Paint/Photoshop you can make the background transparent :roll:. This will ,however, take loooong.

Then you can upload the image and put it in the thread.

I can't log in. When I click on the log in page I get this:

"No such special page

You have requested an invalid special page."

Confirmed. You cannot log out either.By the way we need the Spider page constructed and the Cult page revised. Also adding the rest of antags to the list in the Jobs section with links to their guides.

The wiki login is linked from your forum login, all you have to do is be logged in at the forum with cookies and it should log you into the wiki. Mine's still working.

http://80.244.78.90/wiki/index.php/Guide_to_Virology is nearly up to scratch now I've uploaded the images and re-written a lot of it. Not quite finished yet but worth a look if you play Virology anytime soon.

Alright, I think I've gotten skrell to where I'm happy with it. I finished up interspecies relations and did a bit of work on Jargon 4. Previous all it was, was a small list of species, which I cleaned up a bit, as well as added various geographical info.

I updated the Machine Person page with a sort of silly IC PSA about repairing a machine person. I put it near the top given that it's perhaps the first thing anybody should know about machine people.

I read that, it was pretty funny, however I'd suggest to turn it from a silly IC thing with your own character to more of an actual guide with points and clearly outlined details. I'm not saying that what you have now isn't clearcut, but I'm not sure if how you wrote it is wiki material. It's a good thing to have, because more people need to know how to deal with machine people, but I'm not sure if an IC, rant, per say, is the best way to go about it. Definitely keep it towards the top of the page though. This is all just my opinion though.

worked on Cloning memory disorder page but I think it still need work on.

It's a good start at least! It's just a shame that more people don't RP out the cloning process more and most doctors just say, "Yo, you died, here's your stuff, get out of my gatdam medbay."

http://80.244.78.90/wiki/index.php/Guide_to_Virology is nearly up to scratch now I've uploaded the images and re-written a lot of it. Not quite finished yet but worth a look if you play Virology anytime soon.

Great looking guide! The images really help and because of it I might actually give virology a shot sometime. Skimming through it, it looks really concise and details things nicely.

By the way we need the Spider page constructed and the Cult page revised. Also adding the rest of antags to the list in the Jobs section with links to their guides.

Thanks for bringing that up!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use