[Bad idea] Make jetpacks work indoors

Miraviel

Edit: Disregard this.

Proposal: Make jetpacks work indoors just as they work in space.

Reason: If there is a breach indoors, it is quite difficult (or in most cases, impossible) to get from a depressurized room to a semi-pressurized one without magnetic boots or someone throwing you across the room. I believe if you had an active jetpack, it could serve as a substitute for magnetic boots.

Why would it be a good idea: Jetpacks in the EVA room are rarely used while the magnetic boots are (almost) always looted. During meteor storms/nukies or rounds with major hull damages, this could let two more crewmembers safely move around. 

Why it might NOT be a good idea: Miners can buy their own smaller jetpacks, effectively arm cargo (or their antagonist teammates) with ghetto magnetic boots. This might be a balance issue or a welcomed help for the supply department - I am not quite sure.

What are your thoughts? Also, would it be realistic? I will be honest, I am not quite sure how jetpacks work in vacuum and in depressurized/pressurized areas.

Edit: If they were used indoors, their gas draining rate should be drastically upped for balance.

Edited by Miraviel

Jetpacks are just miniature rockets. Jetpacks designed for space have very low thrust to weight ratios as they don't want to injure or kill their pilot by over-accelerating. If gravity comes into play, you're probably not going to get anywhere. Maybe if you're on wheels you could use them, but your feet are more than enough traction under normal scenarios. Now if you remove the gravity, but keep the atmos, air resistance at low speeds is negligible, so you'd be fine to use it.

Edited by IK3I
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, IK3I said:

Jetpacks are just miniature rockets. Jetpacks designed for space have very low thrust to weight ratios as they don't want to injure or kill their pilot by over-accelerating. If gravity comes into play, you're probably not going to get anywhere. Maybe if you're on wheels you could use them, but your feet are more than enough traction under normal scenarios. Now if you remove the gravity, but keep the atmos, air resistance at low speeds is negligible, so you'd be fine to use it.

So it might work when gravity goes down. Thus being of very limited use.

Ooh I see! Yes it is very rare to have no gravity + major hull breaches without a shuttle being called... It wouldn't worth the effort to code this for such niche scenarios.

And I don't really want anything unrealistic added by me. Thanks for the clarification!

Jetpacks already work in a no gravity environment, not just in space but on the station. It's actually to advantage of the likes of Nuke Ops to blow the grav gen.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use