A different way to get Karma

TheDemonic

I would really like a new way to get Karma without having to wait for some random people to give out karma to you, which I have never received in all the rounds I have played and I am posting this because I have pretty much given up on receiving karma.

Giving people a more definite way to gain Karma will give the server more variety in the races and jobs played, Also giving people who aren't that great at RP or combat a way of earning Karma.

I was thinking maybe giving people 1 karma per a certain amount of time played or every round survived. But these are just off the top of my head and there are probably better ways of doing it.

Edit: Before anyone gets confused I'm not saying to remove the current way to earn karma just add a different more definite way of earning it.

Edited by Guest

You'll start earning it the longer you dwell around here anyways, people get to know you therefore you may be more stimulated to RP and do heroic things that may probably yeld you karma. I've been around for a long time and I can tell you I rarely get any karma.

You'll start earning it the longer you dwell around here anyways, people get to know you therefore you may be more stimulated to RP and do heroic things that may probably yeld you karma. I've been around for a long time and I can tell you I rarely get any karma.

Since I don't like to play the big important RP that leads people since I don't know this game enough yet and I'm not the quickest typer in the world I just try to help out. ether I'm unlucky or people only give to the main RPer of the group and I'm sure there are a load of people who also struggle to get karma since not everyone is great at RP.-Not the best reply ever, sorry.

One karma per week of not getting banned.

Honestly a week seems a little much but yeah I would like something like that, I mean if its 1 a day at least that's a slow but steady income that would let people eventually get what they want and would take them about 290 days or whatever to get everything they want without any given karma. honestly that seems kind of fair if its 1 a day.

The current Karma system is just fine. It gives people a reason to strive to stand out and/or not be a jerk. I got Vox without asking for a single Karma point; just doing my job and trying not to be a jerk, and occasionally doing wacky things to stand out.

I would encourage anyone who complains about not receiving karma to at least make sure you're giving out karma as well. Don't be part of the 'problem'

The current Karma system is just fine. It gives people a reason to strive to stand out and/or not be a jerk. I got Vox without asking for a single Karma point; just doing my job and trying not to be a jerk, and occasionally doing wacky things to stand out.

In my opinion that is the problem, you got vox without even trying to get karma and people like me try their best too get karma just to play the race and job they want. its incredibly inconstant and having a system that will give you karma slowly will give people who are unlucky or just not as good as others in RP a way to buy what they want from the karma shop. But the system would be like for example 1 karma a day only when you play that day, that would let people get what they want but wouldn't be fast enough take away the reason to try and stand out.

But that is the problem, you got vox without even trying to get karma and people like me try their best too get karma just to play the race and job they want.

That's your problem right there. It seems to me that you're almost playing to get karma, and not just playing the game. It might not be easy to do if you 'really' want that karma, but just - don't think about karma whilst playing. Don't type eloquent emotes because you hope you'll impress somebody for karma, and don't do your job 'just' for karma. The karma system, at its base, was made as a reward for people who show good roleplay or otherwise do something cool in the game. Additionally, everything rewarded by karma are just goodies that the station can easily live without. With that said, I'm one of the people against karma getting automatically handed out because of an arbitrary reason.

They should not be a carrot on a stick for you to base your play around. I've accumulated well over 100 karma without asking for it and playing like I always do, and you shouldn't worry about it either. This includes not complaining that you aren't earning them or not earning them fast enough, because they are as an aside. Play your job for the game, and roleplay a character because you want to actually convey a character, and not because you think it's necessary for the karma. I mean, you can even get karma for doing sprite work for Ponies or make good contributions to the server wiki so long as you show him your contributions and see what he thinks, but working on those as well shouldn't be just to do em for the pure sake of some extra karma, do em cause you want to contribute to the community.

Additionally, roleplay does 'not' mean typing out a long diatribe. You can convey a good character through speech alone and not have to worry about typing a 'me'.

As an example, whenever you approach a desk, what is it you hear most commonly from the chemist, a cargo tech, or a roboticist?

"Yes?"

How boring! That's what everyone says, and the acknowledgement usually goes unnoticed and is just something to get people's attention. Now, don't get me wrong, you don't need to go like, 'Qilla Vshen places her elbows on the table and offers the man who approached a smile, her nictitating membranes sliding over her ashen black eyes momentarily before she offers a, "Greetings, sir, what do you need?"

With a very quick four word sentence you can set yourself apart from the crowd and be like,

"What do YOU want?"

Me personally? I'd be liable to award a karma just for that! Already I can gain so much vibe from a character just based off of that sentence and can simply imagine the gruff, annoyed tone without them typing out an emote going into detail into their physiological state.

If you just think of a basic personality, then you're already halfway to a character. No need to overly think it, and no need to spend a bunch of time typing out a me if you think it might take too long. Play the game for enjoying the game, and while you might really, really want that species or job, you have so many others to choose from. I mean hell, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you out with making a character (I love brainstorming people's RP ideas) or just give you tips on a job you're having an issue on that the wiki might not be able to entail.

Anyway, I do wish you the best in getting the goodies you want, just don't base your play around getting those goodies.

Edited by Guest

I like what Fathuran is saying here, Karma is not something you need to play the game, it shows that you've done good, and players have given you karma to show for it.

Karma shouldn't be your reason to play, that would just be taking the fun out of the game.

And lastly, if you did some research on this, you could have seen that we do give out karma for stuff like Sprites and spriting contests.

How boring! That's what everyone says, and the acknowledgement usually goes unnoticed and is just something to get people's attention. Now, don't get me wrong, you don't need to go like, 'Qilla Vshen places her elbows on the table and offers the man who approached a smile, her nictitating membranes sliding over her ashen black eyes momentarily before she offers a, "Greetings, sir, what do you need?"

Legitimately made me laugh, I would love to see someone actually do this.

feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you out with making a character (I love brainstorming people's RP ideas) or just give you tips on a job you're having an issue on that the wiki might not be able to entail.

Anyway, I do wish you the best in getting the goodies you want, just don't base your play around getting those goodies.

Thank you very much for the offer and I might take you up on that offer at some point. Also just to clarify over my horrible way with words I've only played my last like 5 rounds out of god know how many, trying to get karma the other ones I've just been learning the game and having fun which I have been. But I hope you can see why I'm getting a little frustrated with the karma system when I really want to play the different races since I find the races one of the most fascinating things in the game with the different ways their lore tell you the way they act, talk and the different mechanics they have to other races.

I personally at the moment like the Tajaran race as my main guy is one.His personallity is that he is quite curios, friendly yet blunt and straight to the point and energetic even hyper at times when exited by something. He's also loyal to his friends and has a hard time believing the accusations from the radio or even when attacked by them.(which doesn't get much RP out of since they try to kill you before you can type anything)

Lol when did this become a character bio? anyways I've wrote it now so I'm just going to leave it soooo yeah... enjoy!

And lastly, if you did some research on this, you could have seen that we do give out karma for stuff like Sprites and spriting contests.

oh really? didn't mention anything like that on the wiki, that's pretty cool.

The karma will come.

There are three things you need to do for karma:

Be an Effective engie/atmos/medic. Doing a damn good job WILL earn you karma.

Be robust. Killing an entire nuke op alone WILL gain you karma.

Roleplay extremely well and have a FUN character. No matter how well you roleplay very little karma will come if you have a boring, or even worse, enraging character.

But even after doing these, you still need to wait. It will take time to earn it.

You will eventually win the karma you want. It took me a loooong while to get enough karma. I don't really like talking and I suck at RP, so it's helping people and saving them that gets me some karma. Of course, saving others doesn't always guarantee you rewards, but you shouldn't work for the rewards, there are very rude people out there and you will get fed up quickly if you do

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use