Virology and Pathology are not the same

CaesersLegion

Having pointed this out to Necaladun already i'm still not satisfied with how this is set up in the game.

Before the round starts you obviously get the option to choose your next role, when you cycle to medical you get all sorts of jobs, but what caught my attention was the fact that if you picked virologist you could also choose a sub-role (Pathologist, Microbiologist and Virologist).

To make this fully clear, Virology and Pathology are two separate branches in medicine, i am not saying that they are not connected but it is falsely presented in the game.Virology is a branch where you obviously develop and follow the development of viruses, their chromosome structure changes etc....

Pathology on the other hand is quite different. Pathology (pathos- meaning pain or suffering and logos meaning science) studies how an illness killed its victim. Very simple yes? They follow the order in which organs shut down and determine the decease, they do urinary or blood culture in order to see  in which stage of the decease the patient had passed away etc.... Meaning the study the flow of the decease and how it came into the body. They do not partake in developing the virus.

So i generally understand the confusion here, so many of you will probably ask and i quote `` But what is the coroners job then ?``.

Believe it or not his job is almost the exact same, HOWEVER, in order to even become a Pathologist you need to go through 4 more years of extra emancipation, in short, you need to specialize in this field.

I am not writing this post because this is some major crazy issue that needs instant patching but considering that i myself work with these people on a daily basis i couldn't allow this to go unnoticed. 

NOTE, i did not want to make Neca lood like a fool here. He didn't fully understand the text, no biggy. WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES.

Hi, thanks. This looks like something that belongs in the suggestions thread--the wiki reflects the mechanical realities of the server, and thus this isn't subject to change on the wiki unless it changes on the server. So long as the alternate titles are available, the wiki (though I don't believe it presently does anyways) will reflect this.

Subsequently I've moved this topic to suggestions, as I believe you're making the suggestion to remove these alternate titles.

Edited by Shadeykins

I guess if it could make you feel better about this if nobody takes this up: in your headcanon, maybe medical education got so advanced that people learn both virology and pathology at the same time? Random scientists always seem to be breaking into the ORs to do neurosurgery anyways.

There are other things with job titles that clash a little bit with reality. Like our coroner is really more of a medical examiner, but at this point changing all the database entries probably isn't something somebody would want to do.

Also, a better way to word your post ?:

Spoiler

Here's the thing. You said a "pathologist is a virologist."

Is it in the same family? Yes. No one's arguing that.

As someone who studies medicine, I am telling you, specifically, in medicine, no one calls pathologists virologists. If you want to be "specific" like you said, then you shouldn't either. They're not the same thing.

If you're saying "virology family" you're referring to the grouping which includes things from microbiologists to pathologists to coroners.

So your reasoning for calling a virologist a pathologist is because random people "call the virology ones pathologists?" Let's get paramedics and medical doctors in there, then, too.

It's okay to just admit you're wrong, you know?

Nurses, Surgeons, and Doctors aren't the same either - alt titles aren't meant to all be the same job specifically.

It might work as an alt title for coroner (which could also use medical examiner as an alt title), but considering the virology department is the only one to work with disease, it makes sense to me that's what it'd be an alt title for.

• Like 1

Well considering everything it's not a big problem anyhow and also considering that i'm the only one who noticed it should be kept as it is, but if you do want to replace it as an alt title for the coroner then feel free to do so because it is correct.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no I concur. You are wrong you can use an HIV/AIDS infected body and draw the blood to create a super aids virus that is air born.

My solution to the problem is to merge pathologist and virologist and just use the name Aids Spreader.

So you will have two title options for that job.

Aids Spreader and Microbiologist.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use