Spacemanspark - False attribution admin complaint

Birdtalon

Admin Key: @Spacemanspark

Your Discord name (if applicable): Birdtalon

Complaint:

Good evening,

At the time of posting this complaint, the round in which it refers to had just ended.

My complaint is as follows: the time is 23:15 GMT approximately and the Electric Guitar PR #7694 had just been merged the previous round. I was playing on my character Kahkiri; an Assistant and lacking anything meaningul to be doing, I purchased an Electric Guitar from the vendor and proceeded to play it around the station. I was soon joined by some other players and their own electric guitars and we formed a ragtag marching conga line. We marched around the station for a while playing music and I believe there was six of us in the line.
The meat and vegetables of my complaint come to an incident which occured involving a Botanist "Jake Speed." As we were marching east past science, he took issue at our playing and began disarming members of our troupe. We of course took issue at this as he had broken our line and disarmed our guitars.
"Nat Wheeler" hit him twice with her electric guitar and "Jake Speed" tried to disarm me. I responded by hiting him once in the upper body with my electric guitar. I would like to point out that the electric guitar does 12 damage, and allow me to quote the server rules here:

Violence capable of inflicting serious damage to someone, especially anything that places them into a critical state, is reserved for Antagonists. Outside Self-Defense, this kind of violence is not permitted;

At this point in time, "Jake Speed" would have received at most 36 points of damage, 24 from "Nat Wheeler" and 12 from myself. This is far below the 100 required for a critical condition.

--EDIT-- Upon reflection with a fresh mind, I was actually false according to my log. My attack was only the second attack making the above stats incorrect. I did not realise at the time that the first attack was actually upon "Yiiikiii" by "Nat Wheeler." The correct stats are as follows;

At this point in time, "Jake Speed" would have received at most 24 points of damage, 12 from "Nat Wheeler" and 12 from myself.

The incident then was escalated by my fellow players into what I believe resulted in "Jake Speed" being beaten into critical condition. About 2-3 minutes later I am PM'd by Spacemanspark asking me to explain the situation - which I did. I explained to him exactly what I have explained here minus the more specific details. However he held me responsible, citing my position as Mentor and that I should, quote; "know better."

He also proceeded to give me a warning and I imagine also a note on my account, despite my defense. Which I shall reiterate here for your benefit:

I attacked "Jake Speed" a total of one time, that is the total of my physical interactions with him according to my logs. The attack was also at the beginning of the incident, while he was still standing, and completely capable of disengaging and ceasing to aggravate us further. However he proceeded to do so which resulted in the other players attacking him further including while he was on the ground. Spacemanspark also stated that I caused the fight - I do not believe that a single attack can be held responsible for the entire fight consider that I "Jake Speed" once. I am not in any way responsible for the actions of the other players in this scenario, which Spacemanspark implied.  I will append the logs from my end at the bottom of this thread which support my statements in this complaint.

It is my opinion that I did not violate server rules and as such the warning and note is invalid considering that my entire actions in this incident were before the fight was escalated excessively, he was perfectly capable of running at the time which my attack took place and I did not at all encourage the other players to continue attacking him. At the point I which I attacked him only one other played had taken any hostile action. When the "beating" took place I was a good 4-5 tiles away from where he was being attacked. And you will also see from the logs that I did not contribute to pushing him over, nor did I make any hostile action against him after the initial admonishment. I also did not know that the other players were going to escalate this incident so excessively and I did not have any control over these other players or their actions. As such I do not believe I should be held responsible.

I have appended the logs below for your observation, your logs should also support this scenario. Unfortunately my game crashed upon pressing the "Save chat log" button so I can not quote my exchange with Spacemanspark.

Jake Speed loads the SmartFridge with the plant bag.
Jake Speed has thrown the plant bag.
Jake Speed attempted to disarm Victrola Salt!
Jake Speed has pushed Victrola Salt!
Jake Speed attempted to disarm Nat Wheeler!
Jake Speed has pushed Yiiikiii!
Yiiikiii has been crashed in the upper body with electric guitar by Nat Wheeler!
Jake Speed attempted to disarm Kahkiri!
You put the the electric guitar into the satchel.
Yiiikiii pats Jannon on the head.
Jake Speed has been played metal on in the left foot with electric guitar by Nat Wheeler!
Iiyiki has disarmed Jake Speed!
Jake Speed has been smashed in the upper body with electric guitar by Kahkiri!
Kahkiri puts the electric guitar into the satchel.
Kahkiri points to Jake Speed
Kahkiri points to the floor
Jannon has thrown the proximity sensor.
OOC: Pazneria12: Dont think you are Apol
Kahkiri says, "SKREK OFF"
Victrola Salt has thrown the glass shard.
Yiiikiii has been hit by the glass shard.
Victor Brindavoine says, "..."
Jake Speed has pushed Nat Wheeler!
Iiyiki has pushed Jake Speed!
Iiyiki has been shredded in the head with electric guitar by Yiiikiii!
Jake Speed has been crashed in the head with electric guitar by Yiiikiii!
Jake Speed has been knocked down!
Iiyiki clawed Jake Speed!
LOOC: Heroo2012: Guys, I am tempted... To delete all guitars.
Jake Speed has been smashed in the head with electric guitar by Yiiikiii!
Victrola Salt punched Jake Speed!
OOC: Apol793: I know
Victrola Salt has thrown the glass shard.
Jake Speed has been hit by the glass shard.
Nat Wheeler says, "WOAH"
LOOC: Spacemanspark: Don't beat the botanist to death guys
LOOC: Spacemanspark: Jesus fuck
Kahkiri points to Iiyiki
Jake Speed has broken P.U.R.E. B.E.A.N's grip on Yiiikiii!
You put the the electric guitar into the satchel.
Kahkiri points to the floor
Jake Speed has pushed Kahkiri!
Kahkiri says, "SKREK OFF"
Iiyiki attempted to disarm Jake Speed!
Jake Speed has been crashed in the left leg with electric guitar by Victrola Salt!
Jake Speed has thrown the electric guitar.
P.U.R.E. B.E.A.N shakes Kahkiri trying to wake him up!
Jake Speed has pushed Iiyiki!
Jake Speed attempted to disarm Victrola Salt!
Jake Speed has been shredded in the head with electric guitar by Victrola Salt!
You hear a loud cracking sound coming from Jake Speed.
Jake Speed screams!
Jake Speed has been shredded in the head with electric guitar by Victrola Salt!
P.U.R.E. B.E.A.N gives Victrola Salt a hug.
Victrola Salt has thrown the electric guitar.
Jake Speed has been hit by the electric guitar.
Jake Speed has disarmed Yiiikiii!
Jake Speed has disarmed Iiyiki!
Jake Speed has pushed Yiiikiii!
Bit declares, "MORE GUITAR!"
Jake Speed screams!
You hear a sickening cracking sound coming from Jake Speed's head.
Jake Speed has thrown the electric guitar.

Many thanks, I will await your consideration.

Edited by Birdtalon
Corrected a mistake from interpreting the logs

From witnessing this happen myself I can testify to @Birdtalon only hitting the botanist once. This does not excuse the behaviour of him hitting them.

On the other hand I personally believe @Spacemanspark came down a little harder than required on Birdtalon as Birdtalon did only hit the botanist once with a low damage weapon (guitar). I do not believe someone can be blamed for the actions of the group without reason, as was done in this case. I also believe that the fact he was a mentor should have given him more respect then he was allocated by spark. 

Overall I believe both parties are at fault in this case.

Edited by Saul Argon
Removed request due to its impossibility

Hitting the botanist once before any serious harm has come to the botanist is not grounds for admin interference, though he may have set a wordless example for his conga line, this does not mean that he fully intended nor ordered the beating of the botanist. 

I don't believe it was fair to consider the event as being at the fault of @Birdtalon exclusively, though according to @Spacemanspark no note was left, and it was intended to be a talk regarding awareness of how one's actions influence the actions of others in a sort of mob mentality. Bringing up the rank of mentor wasn't appropriate, and escalated the scenario to a point that seemed overly forceful where it didn't need to be.

As a note wasn't given, I'd only ask that @Spacemanspark lighten his dealings in the future when handling things of a similar nature, the amount of force used in the conversation was inappropriate, and should understand that bringing up the position of a staff member during the talk tends to only make things harsher. I'll leave the complaint open for a bit for more discussion, then close it by the end of the day if nothing else is to be said.

Thank you for reviewing my complaint @Dumbdumn5. As no note was left on my account, I am perfectly happy to conclude this complaint. All I would ask is that @Spacemanspark in future considers the responses to his questions and evaluates the situation before delivering administrative action. As anyone who knows me will know, I am happy to participate in a cordial discussion and more than happy to provide information as to my role in any situation. While I am sure that Spacemanspark did not intend to, he came across as condescending during this short exchange and dismissive of my perspective of the situation.

However I am happy to move on from this incident with this resolution.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use