Make Uncloneable Species Unable To Be Changelings

Jared12100

Just as the title says. Uncloneable species can't be changelings or used by changelings for DNA points/diguises. The logic is fairly simple: If you lack the DNA needed to be cloned, how exactly can you have the DNA needed to copied by changelings?

An alternative idea to fix this weird situation is that a maxed out cloner can clone slime-people/vox. Just as how the cloner can't clone a husked body due to the DNA missing, but CAN clone it if the the cloner is maxed out. Obviously this wouldn't apply to machine people because they literally have no DNA at all.

I dunno, it just seems inconsistent, and I'm very tired so this is poorly written, sorry. Anyways, I'd like to hear thoughts on this. I'm PRETTY sure there used to be a thing where slime/vox couldn't be changelings anyways...? Although that was probably before I started playing.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jared12100 said:

Just as the title says. Uncloneable species can't be changelings or used by changelings for DNA points/diguises. The logic is fairly simple: If you lack the DNA needed to be cloned, how exactly can you have the DNA needed to copied by changelings?

Simple. Cloning is human technology, based on human biology. Changelings are a very versatile species, capable of copying all manner of organic molecular structures. And changelings don't need biomass, for what that's worth.

1 hour ago, Urlance Woolsbane said:

Simple. Cloning is human technology, based on human biology. Changelings are a very versatile species, capable of copying all manner of organic molecular structures. And changelings don't need biomass, for what that's worth.

But cloning works on every single non-human organic life form except for 2 (unless I'm forgetting one). 

And it seems (based on how the lore is written) that changelings absorb DNA to copy the appearance of another entirely, including the unique functions of said species, if it was just looks that would be one thing, but this is a perfect replication: a cling vox can survive in space, a cling slime can regrow limbs, etc.

which seems odd they could perfectly replicate this, but a maxed out cloner could not due to insufficient DNA.

I prefer to think of it that Changelings are simply that much better then technological machines when it comes to DNA harvesting. They, as a species have adapted to this as a lifestyle and perfected it. Same way way some animals can end up doing things modern science still can't figure out how the fuck they do those things.
This is an incredibly advanced biologically based alien species.

They probably know a thing or two more then humans about cloning and DNA or Genetic manipulation, just like how the Vox (Vox Auralis specifically) are basically demi-gods of Bluespace fuckery, when NT only knows a little about the extent of what Bluespess can do.
But that's just me, iunno, seems fine to me.

• Like 1

This'd make being a vox or slime less fun to play as due to the decreased chance of antag, as well as make them much more trusted to not be changlings. 

I don't see this as particularly inconsistent - NT cloning tech just isn't up to the vast differences of vox and slimes, where as changelings are able to do it.

6 hours ago, necaladun said:

This'd make being a vox or slime less fun to play as due to the decreased chance of antag, as well as make them much more trusted to not be changlings. 

If only you were there when they removed vamps and Clings for IPC's. Having both two gone really reduces how many times you hit roundstart antag as an IPC.

21 hours ago, necaladun said:

I don't see this as particularly inconsistent - NT cloning tech just isn't up to the vast differences of vox and slimes, where as changelings are able to do it.

15 hours ago, Saul Argon said:

If only you were there when they removed vamps and Clings for IPC's. Having both two gone really reduces how many times you hit roundstart antag as an IPC.

Is exactly what I was going to say. Don't get me wrong though: IPC should not be able to be vamps and clings for... what I hope is obvious reasons.

On 6/14/2017 at 2:46 AM, Dinarzad said:

I prefer to think of it that Changelings are simply that much better then technological machines when it comes to DNA harvesting. They, as a species have adapted to this as a lifestyle and perfected it. Same way way some animals can end up doing things modern science still can't figure out how the fuck they do those things.
This is an incredibly advanced biologically based alien species.

They probably know a thing or two more then humans about cloning and DNA or Genetic manipulation, just like how the Vox (Vox Auralis specifically) are basically demi-gods of Bluespace fuckery, when NT only knows a little about the extent of what Bluespess can do.
But that's just me, iunno, seems fine to me.

This is reasonable. Yeah, I can agree with you. 

At the end of the day this was mostly just my over-tired, slightly drunk, ramblings. Don't mind me. But I AM curious as to why originally slime/vox couldn't be changelings now.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure slimes and vox used to be exempt from changeling eligibility some time ago.

As for why that was changed, I believe part of the problem is that gamemodes like Changeling rely on a certain, overall level of paranoia and distrust between living crew. Indirectly, having several species that were known to be ineligible for changelings made changelings more difficult to play, since there was a wider pool of players that could be fully trusted by other crew. IPCs somewhat fall into this category, but their EMP vulnerability means that they still have every reason to be afraid of changelings as well - even if they have no genomes that a changeling would be able to harvest.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use