Limit borg weaponry charge

TermedClepe2

Currently borgs have as much weapon ammo as they have battery life. After a measly super cap cell upgrade this becomes a negligible resource during combat, meaning they can carelessly spam their weapons for minutes without pause. With botany/xenobio cells, which are quite readily available for the majority of an average round, borg power management becomes a non-issue.

I propose their weapons require a recharge at the borg charging station instead of draining battery life, with ammo count being similar to their humanoid tool counterparts. By weapons I also mean the disabler. Syndi borgs should be exempt from this due to not actually having a ranged energy weapon but rather a magical machine gun.

Edited by TermedClepe2

I've argued that the disabler cooldown could use some tweak. Even without rapid cooldown, it still can fire a lot of shots constantly.

I feel that's a better fix.

Then why have a borg? Borgs ALWAYS have absurd powers. This is downplayed by the fact that they are borgs and are very specialized to be good at what they do.

Don't try to robust a combat borg. EMP the shit out of them from a distance. Or just run away and weld a door.

• Like 1

Humans can also install a xenobio cell into their stun batons, and then eventually get self-recharging AEGs from research as well. The spammability of disablers isn't that big of deal, especially because they're not instastun. Also, you'd be removing secborgs' only way to not drift off into the void of space.

This recent wave of hatred against sec borgs is so weird. Why now, all of a sudden, people want to neuter secborgs to the point of uselessness?

Being able to spam any weapon with no delay isn't fun or good game design. The reason any gun has ammo or a recharge delay is to prevent someone from constantly spamming shots, without having to worry about aiming or conserving ammo. Currently, disabler shots do drain a secborg's cell, but so slowly that there is effectively no reason not to constantly zone out a target with disabler shots.

@Tayswift This won't make borgs useless, it'll just make their disabler in line with almost every single gun in the game. Security borgs currently decimate the average crewmember. When I say average crewmember, I don't mean a member of security or an antagonist. I mean petty criminals, people who engage in crime without antagonistic intent. If we give those people who RP being a criminal little to no chance of surviving a security borg, we eliminate a large part of what makes ss13, ss13. 

I guess my thought is that most encounters end before the whole infinite ammo thing really comes into play. Most of the time if someone has missed that much you've probably had time to escape, given how slow borgs are supposed to be (they're fast right now, but that's a bug). That or you're trapped, in which case infinite ammo or not, you're screwed.

I think borgs should be a very formidable force. If a petty criminal can defeat a borg then it's not particularly useful. I think there maybe could be an upper limit on the number of secborgs in the round, but then again, I've seen very few situations where there's a genuine spam of secborgs. People are unhappy because borgs are harder to defeat than human security members, but that's how it's supposed to be. A greytider can banana peel an officer and steel their taser, but a greytider should not be able to banana peel what is essentially Robocop. If an average crewmember not equipped with syndicate tools can defeat a secborg, then something's wrong.

The average crewmember shouldn't be able to defeat a borg, god no. But they should have a fighting chance to at least escape a borg, instead of security borgs being instant brig-time. 

13 hours ago, Tayswift said:

Humans can also install a xenobio cell into their stun batons, and then eventually get self-recharging AEGs from research as well. The spammability of disablers isn't that big of deal, especially because they're not instastun. Also, you'd be removing secborgs' only way to not drift off into the void of space.

This recent wave of hatred against sec borgs is so weird. Why now, all of a sudden, people want to neuter secborgs to the point of uselessness?

The difference is a self recharging aeg takes a while to recharge.

Give the sec borgs disabler gun a certain amount of shots and then it needs to recharge each one over time. Chalk it up to the capacitors charging it something and refilling the disabler "Magazine" is what drains the power

Edited by Cyiko

22 hours ago, Jared12100 said:

Energy based weapons draw power from an energy source... whats the issue here again?

People complaining about something that is suppose to be hard to deal with by unprepared people, being hard to deal with. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use