Remove BYOND membership icon from OOC

PJB3005

Ok, I'll play by your rules. No shit flinging, forum post before PR, a "proper" argument.

We should remove the icon in OOC for BYOND members. We shouldn't endorse BYOND in any way, as all money goes to Lummox, who is essentially holding the engine hostage without properly improving it, but rather maintaining it with hack job and poorly designed systems. The result is showing, 511 is buggy, getting things to work as a developer is painful, and actually important reworks and issues are being overlooked.

Just now, Spacemanspark said:

The maintainers and head admins have specifically stated "no".

Which was after an argument that consistent of shit flinging and was mostly attacking my method of proposing the change.

I say we have the actual proper discussion here.

1 minute ago, PJB3005 said:

Which was after an argument that consistent of shit flinging and was mostly attacking my method of proposing the change.

I say we have the actual proper discussion here.

What was so improper about what Spark said?

I wasn't arguing about what sparks said. I was saying that the maintainers and headmins should bring forth their reasoning properly.

Edited by PJB3005
Typo

I don't think calling holding it hostage is fair. I'd love the engine to be open source, sure, but these methods are questionable on methods and effectiveness. 

Activily choosing to disendorse byond - which it now would be - would be a very stupid move for us.

We currently are gaining from byond with no cost to ourselves. A tiny in game advertisement in game seems more than fair. Hell, if byond had a steady income it could even expand to more than 1 guy one day.

You have to keep in mind that without lummox, we'd have gained a ton more already. He is the single handedly the reason for tons of pain and why developing DM code is so hard.

You are having a cost though. For one thing if BYOND used threading then server hosting costs would already drop tremendously, but that's dreaming.

You have to remember that if you're not paying, you're the product. You're already paying with ad money that pops up whenever you have to reconnect because your viewport froze.

Also, lummox has actively refused volunteer work under NDA from some extremely well respected BYOND members. I doubt he wants a second employee.

It could be better is not a cost. Until someone shows an actual working alternative, disendorsing byond is all risk with no real gain.

It's a pretty big leap to say to openly disendorse byond will lead to us getting open source. There seems to be some missing steps.

I wasn't talking about open sourcing it, it would be more "Lummox, if you want support, you need to show there is something to support"

Support him when he shows that he genuinely can write something other than poorly thought out hacks. This is rewarding somebody 101. At the current rate of development BYOND is just gonna collapse in on itself.

We really can't get behind a campaign started the way you did there. If anything I'd prefer cross server fundraising for byond for specific coding goals than to start out with a passive aggressive approach communicated via prs and reddit posts. 

The idea of punishing lummox seems risky, and a bit mean. We don't know his or byonds finances or situations, and reducing the income could result in less time being dedicated to it. 

• Like 1

I'm fine with bounties for BYOND features, but the bounties should be placed after important issues. Not the kind of features Lummox is currently chasing.This is the kind of "if he wants money he has to show that he can make something worth money" I mean.

Lummox treats BYOND as a full time job, I believe. And BYOND Software is a company, so you treat it like one. I suppose I could make a post on the forums to say "we need to turn this engine around. Seriously." but I highly doubt he'd listen anyways.

A full time coders wages sound pretty hefty for byond. That doesn't add up to me for the number of players etc, but I havn't checked. 

Without any evidence it'll work all I know is that it will decrease the attention to ss13 that lummox pays.

A single post on the forums would likely do little. An email to him from multiple donors saying why they cancelled their subscription would, however. 

A full time coders wages sound pretty hefty for byond. That doesn't add up to me for the number of players etc, but I havn't checked. 

BYOND makes money from ads and cuts from anything involving money and BYOND too, I believe.

A single post on the forums would likely do little. An email to him from multiple donors saying why they cancelled their subscription would, however. 

Ah, see, now you get it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use