Antag unlocking by time-playing

SideCat

You've been assigned as nuclear operative, but there's one greytide in your team that immideatly ruining round by buying items without restoring TC to everyone equaly or accidently pulling grenade in front of you? Blob that can't do shit, because it's his first time of being blob and all in all he's a fucking new player and he doesn't even know the game mechanics? Wizard that fireballing himself in front of the crew? Are you tired of this? No worries, because I've an idea. Idea is very simple - all we need is to just put all responsible antags roles such as: Nuclear Operative, Wizard and Blob under lock by time-playing, just like jobs have. The time you'll need to unlock those antags is ~1 month, because I think that's enough time of playing to get the knowledge of atleast basics of game's mechanics. Such feature will give a positive feelings to community, because there's will be less ruined rounds, there's will be much less greytides in your nuclear team and ofcourse new players will be not stressed out or dissapointed in themselfs if they've been assigned by quite responsible role and they've nailed it. So.. What do you think? Give this topic your thoughts about this idea!

P.S. My english is poor.

This is already in operation on the server managed via a certain play time in hours before you can have certain Antagonist roles.

Edited by Birdtalon

6 minutes ago, Birdtalon said:

This is already in operation on the server managed via a certain play time in hours before you can have certain Antagonist roles.

Pardon me, kind sir, but how much hours do players need to play on server to get nuke ops, wizard or blob role?

Here are the hours required for the specific antagonists

Traitor: 3 Hours
Operative: 10 Hours
Changeling: 3 Hours
Wizard: 3 Hours
Revolutionary: 10 Hours
Xenomorph: 3 Hours
Cultist: 10 Hours
Blob: 3 Hours
Shadowling: 10 Hours
Abductor: 10 Hours
Vox raider: 10 Hours <-- Wut? I thought this didn't exist now.
Vampire: 3 Hours
Cortical borer: 3 Hours
Slaughter demon: 3 Hours
Positronic brain: 5 Hours
Revenant: 3 Hours
Guardian: 5 Hours
Morph: 3 Hours
Trader: 5 Hours
Giant spider: 3 Hours

Edited by Birdtalon

For reference, the playtime requirements for antag roles are defined here: https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/blob/6eabd49a02e11a5778987714db77051f88363ec4/code/game/jobs/job_exp.dm#L3

The numbers listed are in hours.

For consistency, there are time requirements defined for all antag roles, even roles not currently enabled, like Vox Raider and Giant Spider.

We could raise the requirements for certain antags, but bear in mind that not everyone acting foolishly is new.

Playtime gating can help prevent 4-hour-old players from attempting to play nuke ops (yes, before playtime gating was implemented, I saw this happen), but it cannot solve all skill/competency problems.

Edited by tzo

Code wise i don't like gating this behind time locks too much. Playing 10 full shifts as a janitor or doctor can be 20 hours and give little experience for nuke ops.

The best bet code wise is better descriptions and explanations in game of how to use things and making them more intuitive. 

Non code wise, its about making the wiki better, and being helpful to new players. Yelling that they're idiots (even "icly") wont help and makes people scared to ask for help.

2 hours ago, Birdtalon said:

Here are the hours required for the specific antagonists

I think some of the antag roles are not enough and where's space ninja!?

2 minutes ago, SideCat said:

I think some of the antag roles are not enough and where's space ninja!?

The ship containing all the space ninjas  crashed into an asteroid, forever.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use