Racial secondary languages

MarsMond

I think it would be interesting to add some more languages only certain groups can speak, like a combinatio n pf light and sound for Kidan that have the glow organ. If they don't have the organ, but choosen the language, they could at least understand it. Think some sign-only language might be too problematic as you would be able to communicate while being deafened. Some languages i did think of:

Glowtin, Kidan: Combined use of light and sound signals to be able to relay information faster. Used by the sub-species of Kidan that have the needed glow organ.

Siik'Maas, Tajaran: Basically Bay's Siik'Tajr, our Siik'Tajr does equal Bay's Siik'Maas.

Rootsong, Diona: Rootspeak combined with flowery aroma. Used by Dionas that decided to settle on a planet rather than becoming a big gestalt in space.

Compressed Datastream, IPC: Using the TV-like head to display data while also sending Trinary signal for re-combination with the visual data for decompression. Utilised from the older IPC models, designed as it needed less talk, and such, more work done with the same communication.

Vox Apgin, Vox: Vox utilising a short range telepathic communication, origin of that would be the vox apex, besides using normal shrieking. Came from vox that wanted to have some more secure talk to the other members of the vox.

I figure you could give every race such a semi-vocal language, would just need some lore fluff around, more precisely why it would have happened in the first place.

I would at least like to see some semi-vocal languages, the system for them would already be in place, so why not use it?

• Like 3

Honestly, it sounds like races will be made even more snowflakey. It's hard enough with some races constantly speaking over t-comms with their own language. Especially if two of the same race happen to be traitors. 

Here's a scenario: two Vox are speaking to eachother with the mini-hivemind about murdering a sec officer while that sec officer comes strolling in. The sec officer can't hear them, and so he gets jumped and dies because of the secondary language.

This is an...

12 hours ago, Malphystoh said:

Interesting concept! 

but in my opinion I think we should just keep it balanced and not add secondary languages, especially when most species already have them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bluscout78 said:

Honestly, it sounds like races will be made even more snowflakey. It's hard enough with some races constantly speaking over t-comms with their own language.

Mmmm, people calling something snowflakey is a pet peeve of mine, so apologies in advance.

In a role-playing context. Your on a scientific space station around some gas giant, with a crew of ethnically diverse species and peoples. Of course they would all speak unique languages and dialects. Drawing from my own personal experiences of going to a European university, different languages are par for the course especially in scientific persuits with students from across the world. As for it being hard to understand, I think that's kinda half the fun of languages. But hey that's just my opinion.

26 minutes ago, Bluscout78 said:

Here's a scenario: two Vox are speaking to eachother with the mini-hivemind about murdering a sec officer while that sec officer comes strolling in. The sec officer can't hear them, and so he gets jumped and dies because of the secondary language.

Again, I reference my earlier point. This is kinda half the fun in my opinion.

13 hours ago, MarsMond said:

Vox utilising a short range telepathic communication

That's not a hivemind, if I'm right he's effectively giving vox the same thing greys have currently. Which is fairly short ranged and balanced.

29 minutes ago, Bluscout78 said:

but in my opinion I think we should just keep it balanced and not add secondary languages, especially when most species already have them.

If we followed that logic nothing would have changed in my time playing on this server ;). Throwing in a few flavour languages for some of our more popular species doesn't sound too balance effecting, considering they already come with secondary languages.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Saul Argon said:

In a role-playing context. Your on a scientific space station around some gas giant, with a crew of ethnically diverse species and peoples. Of course they would all speak unique languages and dialects. Drawing from my own personal experiences of going to a European university, different languages are par for the course especially in scientific persuits with students from across the world. As for it being hard to understand, I think that's kinda half the fun of languages. But hey that's just my opinion.

Just remove xeno from premises, that will fix this heresy snowflake nonsense dead in it's tracks.

And no more lizard-man mafia running the station

Spoiler

;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bluscout78 said:

The idea is that the languages that get added are part vocal/auditory, part non-auditory. So you in your example, the officer would still hear them, but not understand them. Not sure if it's possible, but if they would understand pidgin at least, maybe they understand half of it, or get it translated into some misleading/senseless sentence, as the character hears the words, and tries to make some sense into it. It wouldn't be that much different talking local as it is currently with the existing languages.

About more species specific language on comms, this would do nothing, as the headsets only transmit the auditory signal, and such, half of the message would not be understandable: "** code sh** **ble l** th*", which was "The code should scramble like this", manually scrambled.

About the vox getting this telepathy, for which they also need to shriek to utilize it, i figured that would be a lore fitting explanation of how they would have a non-verbal component, rather than giving vox, taj, vulp, and unathi tail movement as non-verbal component.

• Like 2

Everyone complains about races not being unique, then everyone complains that any attempt to make them not unique is a buff and we need a non buffing way to make them unique that is not purely cosmetic.

Nobody is able to offer such a way.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2017 at 2:44 AM, MarsMond said:

The idea is that the languages that get added are part vocal/auditory, part non-auditory. So you in your example, the officer would still hear them, but not understand them. Not sure if it's possible, but if they would understand pidgin at least, maybe they understand half of it, or get it translated into some misleading/senseless sentence, as the character hears the words, and tries to make some sense into it. It wouldn't be that much different talking local as it is currently with the existing languages.

About more species specific language on comms, this would do nothing, as the headsets only transmit the auditory signal, and such, half of the message would not be understandable: "** code sh** **ble l** th*", which was "The code should scramble like this", manually scrambled.

About the vox getting this telepathy, for which they also need to shriek to utilize it, i figured that would be a lore fitting explanation of how they would have a non-verbal component, rather than giving vox, taj, vulp, and unathi tail movement as non-verbal component.

They have cortical stacks which houses "them".  Perhaps it has a radio?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allfd said:

They have cortical stacks which houses "them".  Perhaps it has a radio?

Auralis are psionic and I'm 90% sure that Primalis are built of their genes, albeit heavily modified. I don't think it'd be too far to assume that the capabilities for a short ranged telepathic communication between other Vox, though probably touching distance

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I mean, we have plenty of languages and species anyways, and if you speak anything but common... I hope you like getting yelled at. So to keep it brief: yes to more secondary languages, no to them being species unique. To me its not about if it's snowflakey, it's more so that other people DO care if it's snowflakey, which causes big fights, which makes people mad, which ruins the good time.

To me its like this: If i'm a slime and I want to talk to other slimes, i'll probably use bubblish, that's realistic. But if we go TOO far with this, suddenly we have people becoming... well, "overly unique" might be a way to word it. But I suppose it raises the question of: where is the line between a unique person and a special snowflake? Some people hate the idea of something even being called a snowflake, others do not. Being unique is one thing, being COMPLETELY different and feeling the need to shove that in everyones face is, to me, snowflaking, and just cringe. I feel adding sub languages to races will only encourage that. But if ANYONE can learn a secondary, its not nearly as bad.

No one is completely unique, that guy walkin down the street has a different personality, voice, appearence, etc. but we're both people and we both have emotions, etc. there are no neon green human beings who are actually birds. 

I dunno, it's always been a grey area for me. A kind of: you know it when you see it. Simply put: be yourself, don't try and be someone who is so incredibly different from EVERYONE it hurts.

Also. No absolute private chat please. That goes beyond RP and starts to become a game-play advantage. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use