Introduction and questions

GreenCactus

Hello all,

I discovered this game on reddit some days ago browsing random subreddits and decided to try it, so far I like it very much. I've been reading the wiki and getting familiar with the game playing as an assistant, later as a janitor and cargo tech and doing what I could with my limited knowledge.

Yesterday round start placed me in the role of botanist and I tought I was doing well after looking up the wiki, being able to satisfy the chef demands growing some wheat, tomatoes and corn. Afterwards, looking at a guide on this forum I learned a lot more things the wiki does not cover like DNA splicing and such, and in a second round things went much more smoothly. Problem is, i do a third round as botanist and this guy comes and 15-20 minutes after, the trays are yellow not needing any water or fertilizer and there are nymphas all around taking care of plants giving them nutrients and the like. That leaves me dumbfounded: What else I don't know the wiki and user guides don't cover?

So here I am, a new player with absolutely no idea how the game works and with a lot of questions requesting your help.

• I have not found an exhaustive guide with chat commands, I've looked in various wikis and I think I have some idea how it works, to use an emote is Say "*<emote>", is it correct?
  • Where I can find everything I can do in each job?
  • How is the correct way to report something to security?
  • How do I request medical assistance when I need it? I go to the clinic front desk but far more times than not there's no one attending it or I'm just ignored.

Those are my main concerns, I hope to not be a hassle to anyone and be a positive addition to this community, thanks.

Though botany may be an undercovered part of the game, I'm sure mentorhelp (F1) can help cover gaps of knowledge. Also you can feel free to learn stuff IC. Just ask the other botanist how it works and they may be willing to teach you.

Oh yeah, here's some answers to some of your questions:

On 4/29/2017 at 10:29 AM, GreenCactus said:

How is the correct way to report something to security?

Depends on how competent security is at the time, but there are a bunch of ways to do this. You can use common chat, which is the easiest thing but may get ignored. Or you can run up to the brig and try to talk to an officer or the warden or even the head of security. Sometimes, using your PDA to message the warden or head of security directly can work too. You can also try talking to the AI by activating an AI holopad on the ground or messaging. Sometimes, security is just really bad and won't listen to you no matter what, so don't get discouraged.

On 4/29/2017 at 10:29 AM, GreenCactus said:

How do I request medical assistance when I need it? I go to the clinic front desk but far more times than not there's no one attending it or I'm just ignored.

Unfortunately this happens to everyone, especially when medbay is stretched or just purely nonexistent/incompetent. You can try to ask on common chat for a doctor to come to the door but that rarely works. Worst case, ask the AI to open the door for you or find an engineer to hack it open.

• Like 1

Yes, that's something that I've started to realize, sometimes things just doesn't and you have to put up with it, last shift for example I survived the round on cup noodles because the chef was missing but oh well...

• Like 2

On 4/30/2017 at 10:44 PM, GreenCactus said:

Yes, that's something that I've started to realize, sometimes things just doesn't and you have to put up with it, last shift for example I survived the round on cup noodles because the chef was missing but oh well...

I unfortunately don't think many experienced players enjoy playing chef too often, I end up living off vending machines more often than not.

I agree with what Tay say about reporting stuff to sec but also wanted to add that if it's later in the round sec can usually be very busy. The busier sec is, the less likely they are too care about smaller crimes. I know when I'm HOS I'll sometimes get bombarded by PDA messages about people reporting stuff that we either can't or don't need to do anything about. When I'm warden or HOS I mostly try to keep an eye on comms. 

Medbay...sort of like the food...hit and miss depending on who's working. When I'm in Medbay I make it a point to try to treat everyone as fast as possible, some people are either not as capable or just lazy.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use