More Cro-Storage Pods In Dorms/Shorten Time

Smudgyglasses

As of right now Dorms only has three pods in which SSD or dead crewmembers can be put to free up their occupations and clean up the station. If anyone here has ever played a round with a player-count exceeding 40 people, they know that this is not nearly enough to keep up with the amount of people who go SSD in a given round. I suggest that the layout of Dorms be changed to that of one similar to BestRP's, where instead of having three other rooms with beds they too are replaced with cryo-pods.

Either instead of this or alongside it I also suggest shortening the time between entering a pod and exiting the game and actually being put into cryo-storage.

Expanding on cryo (storage / sleepers) actually sounds like a good idea.

I suggest replacing the beds in the upper bedroom ("Dorms 2" ?) with cryo pods, too. The rest could stay as it is.

And perhaps shorten the time just slightly.

I disagree, this is more an issue of people not actually putting people in the pods or paying attention to when they can put more people in, as well as sometimes people just want to lay on the bed in the secondary room to AFK for a bit. If the cryo period were too short it would be too easy to put people temporarily disconnected inside and have them lose their RP for that round by having to restart.

I disagree, this is more an issue of people not actually putting people in the pods or paying attention to when they can put more people in, as well as sometimes people just want to lay on the bed in the secondary room to AFK for a bit. If the cryo period were too short it would be too easy to put people temporarily disconnected inside and have them lose their RP for that round by having to restart.

You are missing the point of the cryo pods, I think. The problem is valuable items theft, not ruining the AFK's person round. If you have to go AFK, too bad for you. It's an online game, you have to deal with "losing the game" when you disconnect or go away for an extended period of time. You can't just compromise everyone else's round by allowing an AFK person's ID to be stolen in order to " save this person's RP ".

Also, the main point of cry pods is to allow other players to join the server with roles formerly occupied by SSD characters. If you SSD (without coming back), your role is taken for the rest of the round.

There are ways to AFK properly. Laying down on a bed in the dorms to AFK is the stupidest thing to do. Stay inside your department and RP taking a nap, it's far better if you don't have to be AFK for too long.

You are missing the point of the cryo pods, I think. The problem is valuable items theft, not ruining the AFK's person round.

Also, the main point of cry pods is to allow other players to join the server with roles formerly occupied by SSD characters. If you SSD (without coming back), your role is taken for the rest of the round.

Stealing from cryo or SSD in general is against the rules, it's bad RP and those people shouldn't even be playing. Report them and get them banned, although sadly I've found most admins don't actually enforce this rule.

7. Meta:

Don’t take advantage of factors outside the game.

Don’t log in with multiple accounts - if a friend is on the same IP, just adminhelp to tell us.

Don’t mess with SSD characters especially if you’re an antagonist. It’s too easy. This includes stealing their equipment. If you -really- need to, adminhelp first.

How short are you thinking the cryo time needs to be shortened too? I do alot of medbay work and end up with SSDs around frequently when people drag them to medbay instead of the cryo tubes, part of the problem is not enough people are taking the time to be nice and/or responsible with SSDs even to put them in cryo in the first place. So once again I don't think the problem is needing more cryo tubes at least, it's players that are the problem for abusing SSDs and not even putting them into cryo in the first place.

I have seen entire rounds go by when I ghost of an SSD QM in their office or botanist in the back of hydro and no one noticing or doing anything. So if anything maybe shorten cryo time, not add more cryo sleepers.

Not sure about the actual time, it might need tuning but shorter.

As the AI, I've often seen people stealing IDs or other sensitive items from SSD people in cryo pods in the dorms. I've always managed to get these people arrested and make some time for it. But I guess it's not sufficient.

The problem you are mentioning with medbay lobby is real but at least since there is usually a lot of passage, people would be less likely to steal from SSDs in that place. I've also used the patient ward to take care of SSD people (because I had no time to get them to the cryo).

What I'm also doing somtimes is taking the person's ID, giving it to the HoP and sending a PDA message to the SSD person stating that his ID is at the HoP's for his own sake. Very rare though, only with head positions (in which case I also message the Captain).

Also, I think that overall, if you (you = everybody) need to take a break, stay inside your department. Your coworkers are really less likely to steal from you.

If you have to leave and are sure not to come back until the round ends, put yourself inside a cryo and your character will be deleted in 10 seconds. If it's an unexpected absence (internet disconnection), pray that responsible players will take care of you :P

Hm.

I think the responsibility lies with those who go afk or leave, primarily. If you leave for good go to cryo if you are perfectly fine (not dying / disabled somewhere in a dark corner without the ability to call for help). BUT (!) PUT YOUR GEAR BACK BEFORE DOING THAT.

It's fairly useless to free up spots only to have the new people arrive in front of empty lockers or storage rooms. For temporary breaks (naps, etc) you should use your department or, if there's no alternative, one of the small dorm rooms. If you want to be safe, put an additional note down saying you will be back soon, edit your flavor text or just lie down but stay in the game (Alt-Tab to do other stuff). That way it does not show you as SSD, or disconnected.

If others find someone who apparently SSD'd / left in the middle of a corridor, bar or etc then they should be brought to cryo, considering the role. As for the others: Keep in mind that people taking stuff from people at cryo do not always have to steal it. It might be someone who's retrieving any excess gear, too. Try to keep it in mind before yelling "THEFT!" or "BAN!". I also saw a "retrieve gear" command at the sleeper console but I don't know how long that works.

So, to summarize: Manage your characters, bring others who apparently did not to cryo if you suspect them to be gone forever and if their roles need to free up. Put any gear back before going to cry, retrieve any from anyone you put in there.

I also suggest slightly lowering the removal time of characters. It should be high enough to allow random DCs to be overcome w/o problems, but not too long to take forever. With only 3 pods. I do not know the exact timer, but I suspect it is something around 5 minutes or way past it. I suggest 2-4 minutes as removal time. Or 5 if it's way past 5 minutes by now.

As far as people not putting their gear back, I think if you use your ID it should show you anything in cryo-storage that applies to your department. For example, if the CMO leaves with their hypospray in their pocket and the new CMO obviously doesn't have one, they can use their ID on the cryo-console and get it back. I don't know how well the system works now however as the only time I've ever seen items in storage is when it was a CMO's biosuit and...a hazard vest. So I have no idea how it works right now. :?

I assume that stuff like the hypospray you start out with as CMO is just a convenience. The station is supposed to be able to resupply future personell from R&D protolathe, Cargo autolathe or cargo shipments.

If special items (plot devices) were supposed to be recycled from using the dorm cryos, then one way would be to have it enter normal disposals to be redistributed by cargo techs/QM.

After some more thought I'd like to add that it should be possible to put suicide victims into cryo-storage. Too often people suicide right off the bat because they don't get antagonist or the role they wanted and don't bother to cryo first.

After some more thought I'd like to add that it should be possible to put suicide victims into cryo-storage. Too often people suicide right off the bat because they don't get antagonist or the role they wanted and don't bother to cryo first.

There's a place for that called the morgue. I think that dead people should not go into cryo... RP-wise, cryo pods are not meant for dead people. The morgue is.

You misunderstood me. Obviously if someone died and is unclonable, I'd want them morgued. I don't want to completely change how the game works by suggesting that corpses simply be put into cryo-storage to be replaced.

My point was that if someone commits suicide because they are bored, or right when the round starts because they did not get the role they want or are not an antagonist, their occupation can no longer be filled "naturally" through new players joining the round, which is my goal and why I suggested more pods/shorter times in the first place. You may tell me to take it to the HoP if I care so much, but first off, if you really want to go through the trouble of reassigning an assistant or department member to that role you have a whole other mess of problems to deal with the effort it takes. (Yes, I know that doing this is a ban worthy offense, but the damage is already done when they type "suicide")

I'm also trying to make a round more appealing to people joining after roundstart as sometimes people give up if only assistant is open, and it just seems like the nice thing to do.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use