Station Objectives - An Idea.

Radman2307

Hey chaps,

Something that annoys me with SS13 is the lack of motivation amongst the player-base to get things done and it's obvious why, there is no reason to get anything done! Every round seems to devolve into 'waiting for the station to go to hell' and the inevitable shuttle call, the answer to this? Well in my mind implement station objectives, the primary ones being around Plasma Mining, Smelting and Research, Plasma is at the end of the day why you're there - some ideas as to the 'station objectives' could be:

1. Process (Mine & Smelt) X amount of Plasma.

2. Export X amount of Solid Plasma to market (using supply shuttle.)

3. Research & Build Mech for more efficient Plasma extraction.

4. Set up Singularity Drive and ensure no catastrophic failures occur with engine.

5. Ensure atmospheric pressure is maintained on station.

7. Unlock the secrets of the Genome (unlock medium/high level genetic powers)

8. Maintain Hygiene and Cleanliness on station (no-more then x amount of messes)

9. Serve X amount of food/Drink types in Kitchen/Bar

10. Prevent Emergency Shuttle Call until X amount of time has passed

Medical, Security and Command type roles are there to ensure the smooth running of the station, they are at the end of the day 'support staff' to the rest of the crew, setting objectives for these occupations is a little silly in my mind and would require targets which wouldn't make much sense, hence why I believe 'Station wide objectives' should be in place.

To stave off boredom you could have a random time limit, say forty minutes where an Antag is selected to cause trouble and stir things up a bit to prevent boredom or rely more heavily on random events to mess things up.

I just figured it'd be a good way to get people motivated, admins could even expand this by awarding enthusiastic players with a little extra Karma for getting things done, alot can be said for an efficiently run Cargo & Engineering bay - if you wanted to take it further you could implement a:

"Crewmen of the Shift" - Karma award

Where the shift vote for someone who did exceptionally well, the top three are displayed at the end of the round (along with their position/rank) and are awarded a Karma point.

SS13 just seems to be so 'anti-team work' that there really is little point at times working with one another but its odd since alot of the nuts and bolts require team work in many respects.

Throwing it open to the floor,

Cheers,

Radish

This seems like fun. Along with additional individual Job Goals. (Their listing at the end game could be toggled on and off in pref.)

Just a way of getting the station functioning better, miners never seem to do what they're supposed to do, this would be more of an incentive for not only them but for command staff and quarter-master to ensure things are done properly.

The idea is good but I can see these kind of things in nearly every round, though. Reminding people to do their job is not a bad idea.

Here are my thoughts on these objectives.

These objectives are usually not taken care of because there is nothing to gain from it. It's just about the RD yelling for materials to build stuff. Does not happen every round.

4. Set up Singularity Drive and ensure no catastrophic failures occur with engine.

That's basically every engineer's task. Hopefully they do it. If they don't, they're going to get yelled at.

Powergaming incarnated. Most geneticists only care about that. You don't have to tell them about powers, that's all they are interested in (which is kind of their job but the intentions are somewhat biased). Sometimes they give interesting powers to interesting persons (Captain being invisible is nice during a rev round). Most of the times they only give them to themselves

8. Maintain Hygiene and Cleanliness on station (no-more then x amount of messes)

Nobody really cares about that, unfortunately. Might have an Ion Storm law for the AI dictating such objective or a Captain especially asking for cleanliness.

Really depends on the amount of people going to the bar. Might be hard some times.

This is a weird one because sometimes it is really unsafe not to call the shuttle. This objective might better suit an antag objective. Generally, calling the shuttle is a good thing.

The idea is good but I can see these kind of things in nearly every round, though. Reminding people to do their job is not a bad idea.

Here are my thoughts on these objectives.

These objectives are usually not taken care of because there is nothing to gain from it. It's just about the RD yelling for materials to build stuff. Does not happen every round.

That's basically every engineer's task. Hopefully they do it. If they don't, they're going to get yelled at.

Powergaming incarnated. Most geneticists only care about that. You don't have to tell them about powers, that's all they are interested in (which is kind of their job but the intentions are somewhat biased). Sometimes they give interesting powers to interesting persons (Captain being invisible is nice during a rev round). Most of the times they only give them to themselves

Nobody really cares about that, unfortunately. Might have an Ion Storm law for the AI dictating such objective or a Captain especially asking for cleanliness.

Really depends on the amount of people going to the bar. Might be hard some times.

This is a weird one because sometimes it is really unsafe not to call the shuttle. This objective might better suit an antag objective. Generally, calling the shuttle is a good thing.

Some good comments here, but here are my answers to some of the issues raised.

1) It's alright R&D shouting for Plasma ect but if miners aren't motivated to get mining in the first place then what is the point? It should be down to Cargo/Quartermaster to decide how much material gets siphoned off for station practicalities and the others to market, in reality the station doesn't actually need that much plasma, the target just gives miners, cargo and support/command staff a default central purpose, this would be the 'Main Objective' for the station to achieve.

2) Yup it is the basic engineering task but a fair few times it simply isn't done and even when the the singularity is up power failures generally get ignored (as do broken lights... A Surgeons worst nightmare in Medbay.)

3) Genetics is a bit of a dull one and yeah I agree it could be worded better.

4) Yup people don't care about station cleanliness but perhaps an objective at the end would make people care about it a little more, there has to be an incentive for crewmen to do their job better - crewmen at this moment are simply fodder for antags, very little legitimate gameplay actually gets done at the moment.

5) This is more of a 'prevent/contain' emergency situations - I think you've read into it incorrectly, I've been in some rounds where the Emergency shuttle has been called over a situation that could theoretically be contained IF the crew did their jobs AND most importantly worked together to sort out the problem.

If the shuttle is called prior to this time because the situation really is dire then so be it, the objective however will be listed as 'failed.'

I see what you mean.

Come to think of it, I think that there is a count at the end of the round that states how many ores were collected, how much mess was left on the station and other stuff. You get the general round score depending on these factors.

Except for getting stats on that, there might be " points " awarded to good employees, that should be great indeed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use