Suggestion, Mechanic and Mechanic workshop

Dasneko

Small things:

There should be a hand labler or the ability to rename space pods with a pen as well as keys to keep track of them.

There should be a wall safe to store spare keys or other more sensitive materials like weapon modules.

Should be able to produce lock busters. I mean he is the mechanic..

4 wide entrance and parking area so you could pass space pods around eachother.

A notice board would be nice for posting stuff like offers and prices.

Larger things:

Need to reduce the dependence on other departments. Having to depend on both the mining team AND the RnD to such a degree is very vulnerable. There should be something aside from simply building space pods that a mechanic could do like perhaps building, upgrading or repairing trolleys. Preferably something that does not entirely depend on having special resources like Uranium, or at most Plasma. Having a hidden built in goal of recovering and refitting the white ship could be a nice distraction in this regard. Basically allow the Mechanic to print out white ship circuits and gear something in the White Ship towards Mechanics. Perhaps a special blueprint for medical pod armours? (aesthetic or with sleeper addon?)

Sadly I have not been able to test what illegal things a Traitor Mechanic can make with the right RnD but I think a unique traitor item he should have access to is a module that allows you to open doors from the space pod and by extension lets you run around the hallways with it. Note this might be a bit powerful and should be priced accordingly.

The ability to build a whole new shuttle would also be really cool. Give it some size and equipment requirements and give it someplace interesting to go like a gateway mission. Could be interesting for a lofty goal needing ungodly amounts of materials and time to complete. Perhaps the clown can finally build a bananium computer and slap in whatever circuit it fits and go to his planet?

Anyway thats all for now.

Edit: Well that was a lie wasent it? Completely forgot about wanting a module for a GPS module so you can keep track of where you are in space. If not a GPS module since it would require a new function related to the GPS menu then at least print out actual GPS's.

Edited by Guest

Now that I think about it.. I want a flamethrower module. Weapons 4, engineering 3, Materials 3 and plasma 3 research perhaps? Might be a bit useless in space but it has its uses most definitely. Recharge with solid plasma and shoot out a mixture of plasma and oxygen I suppose. You know these things better then me but make sure its dual wielded as always *evil laughter*

Perhaps but they are alike in name only. It would not replace the job that our Mechanic does so is a bit of a distraction.

I would argue it's in -addition- to what they do now.

Think of it like Robotics. If Robotics was nothing but Mechas, waiting for science to research the circuits and waiting on mining for supplies and competing for them with RnD, it'd be a -way- less popular job. Because unlike space pods, you'd just have mechas you couldn't even really use for yourself, aside maybe a Ripley.

Giving the mechanic the job of implementing fancy doodads means there's a dedicated job for it. Scientists rarely deign to give them out to anyone but medical an maybe the kitchen. Mechanic gives them out all over and in his off time works on space pods an shit.

Seams really crazy to me though.

Not really.

Think about it, Science nerds research stuff all the time, both in-game and IRL. But it's usually not scientists that bother themselves with production of those items, that falls into the job of an engineer of some description.

It also gives Engies something to do when the station isn't being blown apart, work on machines and "Tinker", go upgrade and supe up various departments with better parts. Or just make personal projects and machinery.

Science already kinda fucks off an does their own things, Telescience, Xeno-bio, Toxins and would still have the protolathe. Just doesn't pump out the stock parts.

Science is the brain, the Research.

Engineering/the Mechanic is the Brawn, the Development.

Seams really crazy to me though.

Not really.

Think about it, Science nerds research stuff all the time, both in-game and IRL. But it's usually not scientists that bother themselves with production of those items, that falls into the job of an engineer of some description.

It also gives Engies something to do when the station isn't being blown apart, work on machines and "Tinker", go upgrade and supe up various departments with better parts. Or just make personal projects and machinery.

Science already kinda fucks off an does their own things, Telescience, Xeno-bio, Toxins and would still have the protolathe. Just doesn't pump out the stock parts.

Science is the brain, the Research.

Engineering/the Mechanic is the Brawn, the Development.

I am not talking about in theory but in practice. I cant really see it being integrated well. It if was like that from the start then perhaps you could design things with it in mind but bringing it in now is terrifying honestly.

Rename Mechanic to "Space Explorer" or something, since their relation to Engineering is questionable at best. (Both in theory and in practice.)

Supply them with a GPS to start.

Allow all cargo modules to be built from the start - I would understand the research limitation if you could have multiple at once but you're making a choice. Let that choice be made when you're building it.

Modify the bay so it's 4 wide instead of 3. That way you could, in theory, have multiple mechanics/pods.

It would also be nice to have a power system slot in the space pod where you can install modules such as extra battery slot, plasma generator (insert plasma instead of battery) or a nuclear reactor (insert uranium instead of battery). Perhaps if the pod blows with one of these the explosion will be enhanced with plasma fire or radiation/bigger boom respectively. There is also the question of built in mining scanner with the ore module to see ores in rocks since at that point its basically a mining pod.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use