Making everyone feel Safe again.

Warior4356

To surmise for those who are in a hurry I am proposing three separate suggestions.

1. Make the indestructible standing and floor safes no longer indestructible, specifically to any explosion with a heavy size of 3 or more.

2. Add a new syndicate item for opening doors and safes. Plus making an edit to an existing item.

3. Add an alarm to wall safes to make them usable.

Recently there was a large fuss thrown over a captain placing the NAD inside the safe in the vault on a Nuclear Operative round. The general complaints were that Nukies did not know how to open the safe, and that they had no tools that could either. On the first point I have written a wiki article explaining the safe for anyone who is interested. http://nanotrasen.se/wiki/index.php/Safe On the second point I am proposing that the safe be made vulnerable to large explosives, such as the syndicate bomb or anything bigger so it can be breached if need be.

Further this one is more of a stretch and I know it would be more work to code, but this is called the suggestions forum for a reason. I am proposing a new syndicate item called the suspicious looking drill, or heavy drill, call it whatever you want. What I am thinking is a tool that is a recolored surgical drill that is used for opening anything the Emag cant. The only things that come to mind are bolted doors and safes. I had thought for stats on the item, if I had to come up with them, same damage as a surgical drill, when attached to an object it takes 10-20 seconds to force open a bolted door, and 180 seconds to open a safe. In both cases it should make a loud grinding sound of some sort, and perhaps have it stall on occasion and need to be reset. Price: 4-7 tc.

Also adding a stethoscope to the surgury bag would be a logical place to give tratiors access to one. Seems like a quick thing to me to give traitors safe cracking tools for tc.

Finally on the subject of wall safes, they are never used because they are easily breached and can be Emaged open. The easiest fix to this vulnerability that comes to my mind is giving the AI the same warning it gets when a pAI hacks a door, to be sent to the AI when a multitool resets the code, or an Emag is used on the safe. For example: "The the bar wall safe has been overridden externally."

These are my suggestions and I welcome your feedback, thank you for reading.

Edited by Guest

Emag on safe = safe open

A Captain who locks the NAD in a safe and thinks it is safe. Is a moron.

The vault safe can't be emagged open; you need to open it the old-fashioned way.

As for safes being made more vulnerable, I don't think sufficiently large explosions should flat-out destroy them, though I wouldn't be against them being weakened by those explosions (I could imagine some kind of method like explosion - thermite - welder - crowbar - wrench - welder).

Are the safes really only two tumblers? If so, that explains why I always had trouble with them and had to do them more than once to open them because I thought it was three tumblers. A drill is interesting, however I really don't like using the safes as-is right now due to the lag in turning the dial.

In both cases it should make a loud grinding sound of some sort, and perhaps have it stall on occasion and need to be reset.

vMrmCNj.png

KEEP DRILLING YOU PIECE OF SHIT

But yeah, a drill would be neat for that sort of thing, and add way more tension than just emagging, plus would allow you to defend yourself whilst also taking longer in the process and being louder. A fair tradeoff in my opinion.

In both cases it should make a loud grinding sound of some sort, and perhaps have it stall on occasion and need to be reset.

vMrmCNj.png

KEEP DRILLING YOU PIECE OF SHIT

But yeah, a drill would be neat for that sort of thing, and add way more tension than just emagging, plus would allow you to defend yourself whilst also taking longer in the process and being louder. A fair tradeoff in my opinion.

We need armoured clown mask coming in complect with drill

I know for a fact I've destroyed the vault safe with C4 before (which carries the whopping price of 1 TC, and nukies get some free at roundstart). Granted, it also destroyed the NAD inside it, but there's most certainly a way to do it.

I do not belive you could ever do that, and I think that was a bug. Regardless as it stands now, nothing short of an admin deleting it or getting eaten by lord singloth will destroy the vault safe. If the NAD is inside it only comes out if picked. Wall safes can be c4ed however, is it possible that you were going for one of these?

I know for a fact I've destroyed the vault safe with C4 before (which carries the whopping price of 1 TC, and nukies get some free at roundstart). Granted, it also destroyed the NAD inside it, but there's most certainly a way to do it.

the safe is impenetrable short of something on the tier of the singularity

Purcahse the syndicate medical kit (it has a stethescope) and git guud at cracking safes.

Or just use C4 on it until it deletes it, then go for the respawned disk.

I do not belive you could ever do that, and I think that was a bug. Regardless as it stands now, nothing short of an admin deleting it or getting eaten by lord singloth will destroy the vault safe. If the NAD is inside it only comes out if picked. Wall safes can be c4ed however, is it possible that you were going for one of these?

the safe is impenetrable short of something on the tier of the singularity

Honk. I may not be a mentor any more but I still do have some idea what I'm talking about. It was a few months ago when I did this and afaik there haven't been any major changes made to that safe since then.

git guud at cracking safes.

Or just use C4 on it until it deletes it, then go for the respawned disk.

The based Fox god has spoken.

I tested an uplink's worth of C4 on both the safe and the tile the safe was on and got the exact opposite result, but my copy of the code is somewhat out of date, so i assume the X-4 PR made the safe destructable.

In that case this isn't *too much* of an issue though it's still a way to force ops to reset the disk and potentially still brickwall them if they happen to not have any C4.

Vault safe being an invalid disk location (after the freeze) might be the best solution here, since there's no real reason to put the disk in there aside from cockblocking otherwise successful nuke teams.

I tested an uplink's worth of C4 on both the safe and the tile the safe was on and got the exact opposite result, but my copy of the code is somewhat out of date, so i assume the X-4 PR made the safe destructable.

In that case this isn't *too much* of an issue though it's still a way to force ops to reset the disk and potentially still brickwall them if they happen to not have any C4.

Vault safe being an invalid disk location (after the freeze) might be the best solution here, since there's no real reason to put the disk in there aside from cockblocking otherwise successful nuke teams.

safe can git cracked babbu

safe cracking isn't a skill people should be expected to learn tbh, and even when you know how you can be there upwards of five minutes

I'm pretty sure there's less than 5 safes on the station, so it's pretty hard to learn how to do it aside from playing as the roles that get safes or as somebody that has to deal with the safes.

Safes sometimes spawn on the asteroid. I attempted to open one, took me 30 or so minutes to get it open and that was after googling how to open a safe, cause I had no idea what I was fucking doing.

So telling somebody to get better at safe cracking is stupid, specially when they are under fire from the crew

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use