Rule on Murderboning

Amnesia

Me and another were murdered by an antag (Double-Agent traitor) whom wanted to kill us 4noraisin. We were out of the way and not interfering with his objectives. No biggie, shit happens. Upon asking Admin Regens, he said the antag asked to kill us because he wanted to and he (Regens) gave an a-okay on the murders.

I'd just want to suggest if we could add that into the rules of the server for some clarity, that you can ask an admin to murderbone, and its not plain outlawed.

The rule itself:

The role of antagonist may pit you against the station, however this is not grounds for murderboning the entire crew if your objective is to steal a jetpack. You may, however, antagonize/murder specific people who will help you complete your objective or who are hindering you from completing said objective

Suggestion:

The role of antagonist may pit you against the station, however this is not grounds for murderboning the entire crew if your objective is to steal a jetpack. You may, however, antagonize/murder specific people who will help you complete your objective or who are hindering you from completing said objective. If you would like to kill others who are not interfering with your objective, always ask an admin first.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Guest

-1, antag freedom is already too strict

This does not restrict things any further. This just adds clarity. The rule already states you cannot do it. If anything, it lessens the restriction by adding an option to bypass the rule, which currently the option is unstated.

Nah, honestly I think the rule is over reaching if applied literally but is kept around because you don't want people being asshats trying to skirt the line between collateral damage/freedom and just plain griefing other players. Unless you are going around gibbing people for no reason or executing people already neutralized it doesn't usually get referenced.

Maybe the traitor had a reason to kill you and Regens did not want to state his reason during the round?

It's already inferred from other rules that you can ask admins for permission to execute certain plans in game.

Currently helping with a revision for some rules and will make note of this.

Maybe the traitor had a reason to kill you and Regens did not want to state his reason during the round?

It's already inferred from other rules that you can ask admins for permission to execute certain plans in game.

Currently helping with a revision for some rules and will make note of this.

Antags objectives were get file from clown, steal nuke disc (I believe), and escape. I also asked him that (being a slime, I cannot get cloned once dead) if I could have the context since I was now out of the round. Which he said the antag asked and he gave the go ahead.

I have to disagree. The whole 'antag freedom' ideology is less preferable than simply reworking objectives/#s. Seriously, if they wanna pick a fight with security using the DOZENS of ultra-specific antag items/powers, they can. Shooting a civie in a maintenance tunnel doesn't really progress the round, unless they are witness or there is some other IC motivation. If you want to get creative with your objectives, OK, just remember that, ICly, the syndicate will do something terrible to you if you fail. The fact that the objectives are contrary to the ideal function of the station and violate space law are the reason there is conflict; in other words,the antag/crew conflict is a microcosm of the NT/Hostile organizations conflict.

I'd like to note that Amnesia isn't proposing a rule change, just a rewording of the current rule to provide clarity. We've always had the loophole where if one gets permission from an admin to do something, it's perfectly fine. For example, we had a nukie round that ended fairly early, and guns were scattered all over the station. I grabbed a pistol and a box of ammo, and adminhelped if I could use the pistol to steal shoes. I got a greenlight, so I went on a shoe-stealing spree, popping victims who didn't hand over their shoes.

Perhaps a better revision would be to include a header note to the Antag and Self-Antaging section of the rules that plainly states the loophole, rather than attaching it to the murderboner rule.

I do not understand why we would want to even encourage there being an admin exception to the antagonist rules against murderboning. Nothing against Regens, as I'm sure we're not getting the whole story behind the request-to-bone (RTB) (no ERP!), but I don't understand why an admin would even consider an RTB (no ERP!), much less accept one.

If a player isn't even casually connected to your objectives, they shouldn't be a target. Simple as that. And I give a massive berth when I say "casually connected." Let's not forget - killing someone in-game has a decent chance of ending their round. Sure, there's plenty of ways to get back in the game, not least of which are being revived. However, antags have incentive to not let their handiwork be found, lest they be identified. I know I've stayed in my corpse hidden in maintenance for long periods hoping someone might find my body, but no one ever came. So then, 75% of the time, your best available choices end up being Ian, a maintenance drone, or YouTube for the next hour or so.

Having antags are meant to boost everyone's fun, those who play as them, and those who face off against them. Killing people 4noraisin is fun only for the antag player, and no one else. Nobody likes someone who hogs all of the fun. I think in exchange for that warm fuzzy feeling you get for rolling antag at 12:00, you should have some basic decency to consider that others who didn't this round might be trying to have fun too, and don't get the fancy powers/gadgets/objectives to do so with.

I really don't get this whole idea of trapping Antags in a cage.

Antags need more freedom, otherwise normal traitor shifts are just boring, nothing happens.

Don't restrict them even more.

If I'm understanding correctly, you ahelped this, and an admin said "Yeah, they cleared it with me in advance it's cool".

There's literally nothing wrong with this scenario.

If you're even remotely impeding an antagonist's objective in any form they've pretty much got the all-clear.

I do not understand why we would want to even encourage there being an admin exception to the antagonist rules against murderboning. Nothing against Regens, as I'm sure we're not getting the whole story behind the request-to-bone (RTB) (no ERP!), but I don't understand why an admin would even consider an RTB (no ERP!), much less accept one.

If a player isn't even casually connected to your objectives, they shouldn't be a target. Simple as that. And I give a massive berth when I say "casually connected." Let's not forget - killing someone in-game has a decent chance of ending their round. Sure, there's plenty of ways to get back in the game, not least of which are being revived. However, antags have incentive to not let their handiwork be found, lest they be identified. I know I've stayed in my corpse hidden in maintenance for long periods hoping someone might find my body, but no one ever came. So then, 75% of the time, your best available choices end up being Ian, a maintenance drone, or YouTube for the next hour or so.

Having antags are meant to boost everyone's fun, those who play as them, and those who face off against them. Killing people 4noraisin is fun only for the antag player, and no one else. Nobody likes someone who hogs all of the fun. I think in exchange for that warm fuzzy feeling you get for rolling antag at 12:00, you should have some basic decency to consider that others who didn't this round might be trying to have fun too, and don't get the fancy powers/gadgets/objectives to do so with.

The story was neither me nor the other person were remotely connected to the objectives, nor did I know why the antag wanted to kill us. We literally sat in holodeck for 30 mins. We were both slimes too, so we couldnt be cloned. Now on most servers I go on, admins dont authorize RDM '4tehlulz' kills. I figured it was a normal occurrence here, as Regens is a senior admin.

If I'm understanding correctly, you ahelped this, and an admin said "Yeah, they cleared it with me in advance it's cool".

There's literally nothing wrong with this scenario.

If you're even remotely impeding an antagonist's objective in any form they've pretty much got the all-clear.

As I said in an earlier post, we had nothing to do with the double-agent objectives in any way. He just felt the need to kill people it seems, and Regens said it was alright. And I'm not saying it was wrong, if you're implying I am. Each server treats its rules differently. I just wanted clarification so no one else is confused as I am.

You may not have been their objective, but you may have been impeding it in some fashion.

For instance, if you have the "Steal a Hypospray" objective and there's someone endlessly puppydogging the CMO, it's pretty well-accepted that you can take them out. As for Changelings/Vampires they always have and pretty much always will have the clear to go after their objective in whatever fashion they like so long as it doesn't cause massive station destruction.

If you want clarification, PM Regens about the situation and I'm sure he'll explain it to you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use