The Second Community Meeting! [Concluded]

FreeStylaLT

The time has come once again for us to gather around and hear any questions you may have for the Staff!

Hosts are going to be: Necaladun and Regen once again.

The meeting is planned for GMT 18:00 on October 15th.

Feel free to leave any questions you would like to have answered during the meeting as a reply to this thread. Otherwise, you can send them to any Senior/Head Admin through Discord/Forum PMs.

Why is the feature freeze so strict as to deny even desperately needed improvements like cleaning up the admin logs, or even minor things like letting the cluwne mask work with internals?

It doesn't seem like the feature freeze really increased the frequency of fixes, either. Is it really going to last until the end of the year?

As an aside, it was also pretty unfair for Kyep that he got hit with the feature freeze when he was forced to split Terror Spiders into multiple PRs.

To heads of staff: What are your plans for the next month, three months, and year? With regards to Paradise, what do you want to accomplish by the end of the year, and what do you want to do next year?

To senior staff members: If you could change one thing about Paradise, what would it be? What do you like the most, and what do you dislike the most?

To the admins and relating staff: In regarding the way the server is treated the same way as it was back when it was listed and heavy rp and the way this should be at least talked about if not changed

The biggest think that bothers me is that the rounds go on for 2 hours on average, getting through this as certain jobs is painful especially if you play rolls that rely on antag activity to have anything to do. Back in the listed days, you could pass this time rping and being social. Since the server has become listed it's a lot harder to pass the time this way as not as many people are willing, and those that do are from the listed days and rarely interact with those outside their group. On another note related to two hours rounds, i think if the round ends with a transfer, i think that's a failed round.

The other thing is partially related to the former, the restrictions on what antags can do and what they need to ahelp to do. Although i dont know the details because i dont play traitor when i am an antag, i would like this to be clarified.

Lastly is rules when it comes to playing in certain ways and rules about what is considered self antagging. Although i agree that mass greytiding isn't good for the server, but every now and then players causing shit can be beneficial to the round, depending if there isn't a major antag being active at the time. On a related note, i've also found that sometimes admins can become involved with things that should really concern security, and not admins, many things could easily be seen as breaking the zeroth rule but i think unless it's extreme, such as racism or repeatedly going after a certain play through different rounds, this should be handled by security.

So the question is, what do you think should be changed about this or do you even think this should be changed?

I generally agree with the points Kavrick is raising.

One, that most rounds time-out to the 2hr crew transfer and that this ought to be seen as the antagonists failing to get the shuttle called. Put differently, that we should encourage antags to bring the round to a climax and a closure after the 1hr mark but before the 2hr mark.

Two, that antagonist restrictions ought to be made clearer, regarding what is okay vs what is iffy. I suggest creating three broad categories, Direct casualties (ex. witnesses, security), incidental casualties (ex. caught in the blast), and mass casualties (ex. mass murder)

Three, that self-antagging (and the valid hunting counterpart) is somewhat common, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Especially on longer/calmer rounds, we can expect that bored crew will become shit disturbers and that's pretty fine as long as it doesn't become particularly egregrious.

Four, that there could stand to be a clearer seperation between Security and Admins, especially regarding Space Law. Full disclosure, I haven't actually read spacelaw and I don't play security so I can't make informed commentary, but I think Soman's got a fair bit to say about it.

On the question of game balance:

How do we maintain a balance where the average crewmember is unlikely to survive, yet through teamwork or specific gear is able to survive? In other words, how to make threats HARD for the crew and their resources, but not seemingly IMPOSSIBLE?

How do we maintain game balance as to ensure we can have an RP environment, while still allowing chaos to thrive?

How do we determine if a change was successful or not, and whether or not to revert the change?

How do we ensure that there exists multiple viable options for the crew and antagonists? An option being too overpowered or too underpowered, even in specific situations, proves to be another problem as well.

To sum it up, what I'm asking is: How do we balance our game as to make it fun and fair for everyone involved? Do note, I'm not saying that an assistant should be able to go to to toe with a xeno. Imbalances should exist.

"Imbalances should exist"

Not so much imbalances, but relative power levels. Important distinction

More or less the same thing, just different terminology. An imbalance of power levels.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use