Engineering renovation

GeneralChaos81

I've redone engineering this way a few times during rounds and feedback has been quite positive.

*edit*

Check out the PR on Git to vote this up or down, or make suggestions, and check out the latest version.

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/5226

Edited by Guest

LikeIt/10

There might be a few minor edits or gripes that other people will have, but off of my first impressions I like it.

I like this. Atmos doesn't feel so left out AND they can actually approach the CE office without hacking or breaking down windows.

wonder if something can be done about that damn 'construction' room that used to be the old grav generator, seems like it would make a better, less claustrophobic atmos office that could support 2+ techs in a crisis. Generally everything north of the Drone fab could use a pass over to make it more streamlined and functional.

I love the access near CE"s officer for atmo techs.

I don't like how cramped it all feels.

As for the construction room - I sometimes use that as an atmos tech for gas tests, frozen rooms as a drask, etc. But it's pretty niche.

Also, the lockdown shutters seem to be gone now? Engi can make it a fortress themselves pretty easily, but I've always liked those.

Atmos as of late feels like an engineer with less access, but that's a different argument. As for construction room.. yeah it's super niche right now and too cramped to be any reliable autism fort for engineers, the assembly line across the hall is more often used, and gives the truly anal engineers an excuse to illegally block off hallways with engineering only access doors to keep greyshirts and security out.

I definitely prefer this room to the old one with the giant table that blocked half the room. It's like Primary tool storage vs the locker room, both function as storage for nifty stuff, tool storage is utility while locker room has a lot of wasted space for fluff.

If I had one nitpick/complaint it's the borg charger. I've never licked it crammed behind the disposal chute, I know it's been there for ever, but personally I'd move the charger down to the other end of the room near the door to the engine and SMESes, and just put the garbage can in the corner like it should be.

Looks neat and simple, agreeing with some of the other points provided. Also like that this such a small remap instead of remapping entire engineering(perhaps?)

Construction area could perhaps be moved to some of all that maintence?

Comments

Construction room: Very rarely used. But I have personally used it a few times... but we also have like 4 new construction areas near the mechanic now, so it's increasingly superfluous. I think it could be used to extend Atmosia's office. I'll have a play.

Cramped-ness: The storage room was not cramped, but the lobby always was. Everything has a 2 wide walkway, and I don't think it can be much better than that.

Lockdown: Is at the front of engineering, instead of right in the middle. This is more like R&D (and engineering doesn't have a public area like Sec and Mec)

New stuff

Control Room: This is... I don't like this room at all. The computer layout is weird. The drone machine and borg charger aren't in the same room. Extra wall. A 'front desk' that I have never ever seen manned... The tank dispenser here is also slightly bugged. Tanks appear under the dispenser. Just... Do not like anything about it. But I also don't know what to do with it yet.

Chief's room: Double wall to the north why? RD only has single, and they arguably have better stuff. I kinda want to put windows and space, but chief's walls a packed with stuff.

If I had a suggestion on what to do with the current control room, drone fabricator and construction area... it'd be to get rid of it. Extend the lobby by a tile or two and put all the status monitors there, and turn everything else between the lobby and janitor's closet into maintenance. Utility storage, spare equipment, things that might be associated with engineering but don't require any level of security. If you wanted to build backstory, make it like an abondoned engineering section that would have served as life support while the station was being built.

In my personal opinion, I'd love to see the Clown's Office moved to maintenance. The construction room would be perfect. My idea here is that the clown basically becomes Milton from Officespace. Nobody really knows why he's here, he gets paid because of a glitch in pay roll. Lacking a proper office, the Clown takes over a utility closet (like the ones around maint with the Air Mix pressure canisters) and turns it into his cave, Clown gets a bed and his usual equipment spawns, but the door is public access and because the clown is a packrat/scavenger/stowaway on the station his office has a number of random item spawns like typical maint loot.

The clown office in maint was always something I liked about goon, because it helps cement the idea that the clown was never really intended to be on the station, but he manages to make himself at home despite everyone else's attempts to chase him off.

OK, so I moved stuff around. All this would fit into existing rooms, without much more moving, but I kinda snowballed into moving everything around.

engineeringupdate2c.jpg

Edit - Finished up this set of changes

Of note:

New maint door far fore, where the borg charger and drone factory is.

Replaced a lot of interior walls with normal instead of reinforced.

Engineers aren't to hip to be square at their break table.

'Front desk' now where people might actually see you.

You can see both atmos and station alert consoles from the foyer.

Bigger atmosia office.

Atmosia maint door moved, so you don't bump it going into the main room or when passing in maint.

I don't like where the deployable walls went

I have a problem with the windoor at the mule drop-off. It's rotated in the map editor, but not in game.

What do we think?

Dial it back, just foyer, storage and atmos office?

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use