General SOP --- Complete!

TullyBBurnalot

Alright, I... had a giant nitpick all typed out about three days ago, but my computer crashed after about an hour in and I lost all the work. I'm FINALLY coming back to this now, but I'm going to REALLY summarize my points here.

Sorry that this took so long to push out!

PINGS NITPICKS 3: WHY THE FUCK AM I DOING THIS EDITION (Short Version)

Ok, here are the major points that need to be sent across.

Random Searches/Suspicious Searches

Ok, the way I interpret this is that there are TWO types of searches: Random Searches and Normal Searches. Random Searches are done completely randomly with no provocation whatsoever. Normal Searches are done when there's adequate evidence or suspicion that the person in question has completed a crime. Got it? Sweet, let's move on.

As it is written right now, normal searches can be completed on code green if the person being searched is suspicious enough. This is clarified not ONLY here...

2. Random searches are not permitted without express permission by either the Head of Security, Captain or Magistrate. However, searches are still permitted if there is reasonable suspicion of a crime

...but ALSO under Security SoP, here:

7. Security officers are permitted to conduct searches, provided there is reasonable evidence/suspicion that the person in question has committed a crime. Any further searches require a warrant from the Head of Security, Captain or Magistrate;

However, code RED SoP seems to take is a step BACKWARDS by saying that Random Searches are permitted for suspicious personnel.

2. Random searches are fully permitted and recommended for suspicious personnel. Security personnel may detain any personnel refusing a random search in order to conduct said search;

Suspicious personnel sounds like a regular ass search to me. This is a step back from Blue SoP as well, since it allows for all personnel to be searched.

Now, the main reason why I spent so much time on this is because I really want searches to be clarified. A month ago there was a bunch of controversy that the CMO was searched by security without a warrant, despite suspicion being cast towards him, which would suggest that the search wasn't random and therefore didn't need a warrant. Granted, that entire situation was stupid as fuck, but I really do think that Normal Searches and Random Searches need completely reworked and clear definitions so that things like this don't happen again.

Suit Sensors

These mostly refer to General Crew 1. for all alert levels. Both Green and Blue say "It's recommended that suit sensors are set to max". That's... nice, but that's definitely not what the procedure is as far as I'm aware.

Code Green should say: "Suit Sensors are not required to be on."

Code Blue should say: "Suit Sensors are required to be on, but not required to be maxed."

Recommendations are great of course, and ultimately, maxed suit sensors are nice, but at least actually list what the proper procedure is for suit sensors instead of just saying "Eh, you should probably have them maxed anyways."

Department Transit (Ah boy)

Well first of all, if nothing in this section gets changed, at least change this

3. Visitors to the station (anyone with Civilian-level access) may transit freely through the station that they have access to

For... obvious reasons. There may be more cases of this in Blue and Red, but yknow. I'm lazy and don't wanna find them.

Anyhow, I'm completely against trying to keep staff members in their department for several reasons

-There is a confirmed threat to the station; in my opinion Security should be dealing with that threat that is confirmed, not playing Shepard to a bunch of Greytide.

-Jobs such as Engineering, Paramedics, etc. should be able to move around the station freely in case of emergency (I think they're addressed in Code Gamma, but not in Code Red.

-No ones going to follow this.

This has probably been argued about before in reply's before mine, buuuuuut I'm lazy and didn't read them. However, I'll stop talking about this now and move on. PLs remove.

The Rest of the Stuff that's super minor

-The NSS Cyberiad and NTV Charon seem to be regarded as two separate vessels, yet according to this page, Space Law only applies to the NSS Cyberiad. Just an oversight I noticed, but it still might wanna be clarified that the NTV Charons rules and the NSS Cyberiads rules are the same.

-Under Singularity Containment Failure. 2 and 3 should likely be changed to "a" and "b" in order to look nicer. Just a personal opinion.

-Under Tesla Containment Failure. The Tesla Matrix has a chance to drift of into space (I've seen it a total of one time), so cases where it leaves should be referred to in SoP. Also, locker hiding was nerfed in the most recent patch to the game, so that might need to be looked at again.

-Under Fires/Gas Spills. 3 and 4 could probably just be summarized into "Engineering Staff should proceed to restore the affected areas to workable(?) conditions."

If there were anything else I wanted to change, I've forgotten them. I'll probably remember what they are again after the SoP is finalized, cause I'm dumb. But yeah, that's all I have for now.

Edited by Guest

Actually a good point. "Suspicious personnel" redacted from Code Red SOP.

Edit: Wait, nitpicks in installations? OH YAS.

-snip about suit sensors-

Realistically speaking, there is no reason NOT to have them maxed out. Even if it's Extended, you're still working aboard a space station with multiple potential workplace hazards.

Safety first.

NEXT!

-snip about Department Transit-

Well, considering I removed the whole thing about forcing people into Departments, and the fuckass huge "Durrr obvious" value of this, striking those things as well.

NEXT!

-The NSS Cyberiad and NTV Charon seem to be regarded as two separate vessels, yet according to this page, Space Law only applies to the NSS Cyberiad. Just an oversight I noticed, but it still might wanna be clarified that the NTV Charons rules and the NSS Cyberiads rules are the same.

Anyone who tries weaseling out of being convicted because they're on the Charon can adequately be shut up without repercussions.

Besides, the Charon is a boarding shuttle, not really a station or a major ship like the Cyberiad or Icarus, respectively.

NEXT!

-Under Singularity Containment Failure. 2 and 3 should likely be changed to "a" and "b" in order to look nicer. Just a personal opinion.

Good taste. Changed.

NEXT!

-Under Tesla Containment Failure. The Tesla Matrix has a chance to drift of into space (I've seen it a total of one time), so cases where it leaves should be referred to in SoP. Also, locker hiding was nerfed in the most recent patch to the game, so that might need to be looked at again.

I did notice that PR. Tesla Containment Failure Situational SOP changed to:

Tesla Containment Failure

1. The Tesla Matrix is to be tracked at all costs, and its current location announced to the crew;

2. If the Tesla Matrix remains inside the Cyberiad rather than arcing into space, the Charon is to be called

NEXT!

-Under Fires/Gas Spills. 3 and 4 could probably just be summarized into "Engineering Staff should proceed to restore the affected areas to workable(?) conditions."

True. Guidelines changed to a single:

Engineering and Atmospherics personnel are to restore the affected area to working and livable condition

-snip about suit sensors-

Realistically speaking, there is no reason NOT to have them maxed out. Even if it's Extended, you're still working aboard a space station with multiple potential workplace hazards.

Safety first.

No, I completely agree, suit sensors should always be maxed by crew members and I hate making announcements about it, but it should at least be mentioned that they aren't mandatory so that certain people don't start lynch lists on code green.

This isn't a matter of me disagreeing with the concept of suit sensors, this is a matter of me wanting to make sure that the crew is fully informed about what their suit sensor level has to be on on certain Code Levels. And unless we're changing SoP, as of right now the crew SHOULD be informed that suit sensors don't have to be maxed all of the time. Not mandatory to be on on Green, not mandatory to be maxed on Blue.

Edited by Guest

Well, we are kinda changing SOP.

And "lynch lists" can die in a fire. Anyway giving people that much level of shit can get slapped by a fax to the face.