Cargo Overhaul

shadowhunter215

The following will probably require a massive amount of time and effort from the coding team, just a heads up.

First up, the shuttle will be made a lot smaller, chemistry will be either moved from medical to cargo or removed entirely, and cargo techs jobs will be requiring a lot more responsibility

with this, the way that the station gets its equipment will be changed, instead of having points to "buy" everything with, there will instead be giant machines(I'm thinking 3x5 tiles) which can produce most of what the shuttle would otherwise be taking from cent-comm, medical will no longer have the ability to just sit there and create grenade/bombs from pure energy like they have since forever, instead, they will now be forced to work with what they have until mining can do their job and bring in a new and much wider range of ores from the mines(insert lots of raw elements, like a lot) that they can then put in the redemption machine, which will then go into the really big machines to produce the raw chemicals the chemists(if they are still existing) will use to make medicine that will be delivered to med-bay.

now as for the cargo techs, the machines will be their job, overlooking the stats of the machines, managing coolant, and shutting them down if needed to prevent sudden releases of super hot gas, radiation, and straight up explosions, and replacing the specific parts(much like Borgs have) that eventually will break down in the machine, meaning maintenance will be constantly needed and cargo techs wont just be sitting around bored.

The shuttle will still be in for the things that cant be produced by the machines, such as animals or emergency riot equipment, but other than that, its up to mining and the cargo techs to be sure that the station gets what it needs.

This is an interesting idea, but might make the mining asteroid more cluttered unless you stick elements together, and I don't even know if that will work with current /tg/ mining. It would be nice to see Chemistry made a little more, balance? This might make it less balanced though and tougher but you need Chemistry in order for Medbay to function good. All the heal patches and medicines. This could work if mining is doing its job but I don't know.

Giving cargo techs more of a tech job doesn't sound bad. You'd think they would be busy delivering but that's done by the pipe system or mulebots if anyone bothers. I'd like this but that would mean they'd need more Engineering-like supplies to combat possible failures or be forced to call Engineering when things to break down. All this also depends on people with these jobs too and less populated rounds might not fill them up

you make an exellent point, maybe give the cargo techs only the tools they need(although they could just go to the machine and spam all the tools for production) and make needing to actually do fixing a little more rare rather than common, this is all subject to change as you can imagine, but we could also make the room with this stuff a bit closer to engineering maybe, might make the project bigger though in any case

It sounds quite interesting but honestly this wouldn't change much, all it would change is chemistry and what cargo techs actually do. the main problem currently with cargo is that they just aren't needed, everywhere spawns with more than enough equipment for everyone. The only thing anyone ever goes to cargo for is for the materials that the miners come back with and some stuff that isn't needed but they want.

the main problem currently with cargo is that they just aren't needed

That's what this sounds like it's trying to help solve. Not in the best of ways but it can be worked on still. If they have some sort of job that requires them to be a little more active then it would work.

Disposal pipe system would be better off gone if you REALLY want cargo techs to work

the main problem currently with cargo is that they just aren't needed

That's what this sounds like it's trying to help solve. Not in the best of ways but it can be worked on still. If they have some sort of job that requires them to be a little more active then it would work.

Disposal pipe system would be better off gone if you REALLY want cargo techs to work

Not sure you understood what I was saying in my last comment. whether you make cargo more complex or more interesting to make stuff, That stuff will still never be used because other departments have everything they could want for the entire round and have no reason to come to cargo.

so if you REALLY want cargo techs to work we need to give other departments less supplies so they have reasons to order from cargo.

and this, my friends, is development in progress, your feedback helps shape how this will turn out, and I thank all of you for contributing to this idea and shaping its future.

now, I'm not sure getting rid of the disposals system would make cargo techs jobs too much more important, but I have another idea I want you to give me feedback on.

How about getting rid of the current disposals system, and replacing it with a 3x3 "pit" of sorts that breaks down whatever garbage the station throws at them, but it releases clouds of debilitating gas whenever the cargo techs dont change certain parts of the system to compensate for it, and this causes the scrubber back pressure event when left alone too long, let me know what you think about this as part of an addition to the current proposal.

As for TheDemonic's suggestion of taking away department supplies and giving them only the really basic tools, I fully agree, I think it's a great idea, and it should be a part of this.

How about getting rid of the current disposals system, and replacing it with a 3x3 "pit" of sorts that breaks down whatever garbage the station throws at them, but it releases clouds of debilitating gas whenever the cargo techs dont change certain parts of the system to compensate for it, and this causes the scrubber back pressure event when left alone too long, let me know what you think about this as part of an addition to the current proposal.

Our current disposals system is fine and in no way would it be connected to the scrubbers system. Disposals isn't even Atmos related save for the pipes they have to install. Cargo has more right over the existing system for most intents and purposes.

And when I said "better off gone" I meant the delivery system, not the pipes themselves just for clarification. Get those cargo techs walking.

Keep trying, there's a solution somewhere

As for TheDemonic's suggestion of taking away department supplies and giving them only the really basic tools, I fully agree, I think it's a great idea, and it should be a part of this.

No.

yes yes mcyesburgers

It's an idea that makes sense from the CT's perspective, but it doesn't make much sense from... well... anyone else's perspectives. It's just redundant.

As an alternative idea (and an idea that is SORT OF being implemented right now?), you set it up so not only do you go to cargo to GET stuff, but you can also go to cargo to GIVE stuff. For example, scientists now have to send research disks to cargo in order to send to Centcom to get their pay. This idea can also be used for the Geneticist job (which by the way would be really nice, do it!); genetics sends CentCom powers via disks in order to get pay, and they have certain powers they're trying to get that are assigned for them at the beginning of the round.

Of course, there has to be some sort of INCENTIVE for these jobs to send the disks in the first place. Maybe in the shape of some sort of upgrade? I'm not entirely sure, but this would effectively make cargo more important (which is needed).

One of the overarching problems I do find with Cargo, however, is that it's a department that is entirely dependant on other departments, in order to get work. And one of the first things I've learned from Ansari when he (sort of technically) introduced me to this game, was "Never rely on other departments."

To summarize... I use capitals for emphasis way too much.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use