Make science goggles able to see the parts inside a machine

ProperPants

It would be a convenience for upgrading machines. Instead of walking to the machine with an RPED, checking the parts, getting the parts, walking back, then returning the RPED, you could just activate the goggles, look at the parts, get them and be done.

Kinda a non-issue - just convenient. It could be coded by borrowing the code from the RPED that shows the parts inside a machine and adding that code to the goggles. Examining the machine instead of just clicking it would tell you what's inside.

Maybe, though this seems harder, let examining circuits with science goggles also tell you the parts of the machine. Whenever people (engineers or the brig doctor, usually) come asking for circuits and parts, the person working R&D often doesn't know the exact number of parts in every machine. It would be massively convenient if they could print the circuit, examine it, and immediately know what parts are needed. This is obviously harder than the first part of the suggestion, but I don't imagine it's that hard anyway. When building a machine, you have to make the frame, add wires and the circuit, then examine the machine to know what it needs. So, the code for examining an incomplete machine and knowing the parts already exists - I'm just proposing it be displayed from the circuit itself instead of the incomplete machine. Hell, this part of the suggestion doesn't even need to be exclusive to having the science goggles on.

I like the idea as a quality-of-life improvement. There's definitely lists out there of what parts are needed for pretty much any machine on the station but unless you devote time to studying them or regularly build the same machines over and over and over you're likely always going to need some sort of cheat-sheet on hand. Having the Science Goggles tell you what parts are in a machine would definitely speed up the process of adding new machines to other places, PLUS it would help people to learn what parts are needed by heart so they don't even need the goggles in the future.

I just discovered that Robotics has a robotics HUD that's yellow so I'd think to put this functionality into a Science HUD maybe. A new device. Science goggles already tell you reagents, materials, and tech levels I think. Maybe the goggles could share the functionality but I like the idea of anther colored HUD set

Science goggles already do this. You just have to toggle it on and then examine the machine and it tells you what parts are in it. I do it all the time. o.O

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use