Allow Jetpacks to work in suit storage slot

ProperPants

Jetpacks are meant for easily traversing space, which already requires an EVA suit or hardsuit. It also happens that EVA suits and hardsuits have a Suit Storage slot that, among other items, can hold jetpacks.

Wonderful! Imagine a cheerful adventurer knowing these facts and thinking to him/herself

"I'll just go to EVA Storage, grab myself some magboots, a jetpack, and an EVA suit, and go exploring space. And anything cool I find I can put in my backpack! The joys of spess. <3"

But alas, the adventurer is an ignorant fool, for spessmens CANNOT use a jetpack that is equipped in the Suit Storage slot. The equipment slot, given by wearing a spaceworthy piece of clothing, cannot allow use of the item that allows free movement in space. "Whyever is this so?" I ponder. I don't have a clue. You have to take your backpack off, put the jetpack on your back slot, and fly around with a backpack taking up one hand and an empty Suit Storage slot mocking you.

I suggest that jetpacks work in both the backpack slot and the Suit Storage slot of any hardsuit or EVA suit able to equip it - otherwise, what's the point of even being able to put it in that slot? And I realize that hardsuits allow various other items to go in that slot, but many of these items can go in a backpack, freeing up the Suit Storage slot for the jetpack.

Nah, giving Nukeops extra storage space along with a working jetpack is stupidly OP. Just carry a duffle bag in one hand.

Also suit storage is for air cannisters.

And yea jetpacks can work as pseudo air cannisters if they're in the suit storage.

Also suit storage is for air cannisters.

That actually makes perfect sense. I play IPC so I don't have to worry about shit like that, so I totally forgot about needing to breathe. I'm perfectly okay with how it is, then.

The jetpack for ops can be used for breathing to, which is a good reason to fill your jetpack from the canister in the ops shuttle. But with regards to the suggestion, jetpack on backpack is very much a balance feature. You can bring a backpack, but sacrifice a hand for it. Or leave your hands free for shenanigans. Ops have the advantage of being able to fit their jetpack into backpacks when they make it to the station. But in this case, I'm of the mind that, "if it ain't broke and it works; don't change it."

As far as Ops go, /tg/ was discussing giving OPs the ability to use the jetpack while it was on their exosuit slot, as they recently added in the ability for certain hardsuits (Blood Red/Op Suit, Engineeing, Atmos) suits to have internal jetpacks that would draw from an O2 canister in the exosuit slot. It was later decided to just give OPs webbing, as most if not all the gear they needed could be carried in a belt and webbing slots.

The jetpack for ops can be used for breathing to, which is a good reason to fill your jetpack from the canister in the ops shuttle. But with regards to the suggestion, jetpack on backpack is very much a balance feature. You can bring a backpack, but sacrifice a hand for it. Or leave your hands free for shenanigans. Ops have the advantage of being able to fit their jetpack into backpacks when they make it to the station. But in this case, I'm of the mind that, "if it ain't broke and it works; don't change it."

I'd like to note that this is always, 100% of the time a horrible idea if your op ever runs longer than a short amount of time.

Jetpacks burn through O2 really quickly, and you'll be left suffocating in space in any protracted engagement.

I said it COULD be used, never wanted to say it SHOULD be used :P I always grab a cannister then keep my oxygen on, incase of shenanigans. But the option is there for those who think they won't be using their jetpack that much, suit slots are handy for weapons too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use