Laser Carbines

Shadeykins

Courtesy of Regens

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/3667

Posting this here so it gets a bit more views/discussion going on about it.

Personally I think one of the best ways to balance this weapon out and make it a viable-to-use but not OP weapon would be to make it mildly inaccurate (the burst spreads out at a random trajectory within a cone of 0-20 degrees) and reduce the damage.

This would make it a quick, burst weapon capable of effective suppression whilst still being a decent powerhouse in close quarters combat.

This change would also serve to reduce it's efficacy against blobs (this weapon unchanged would be a blob killer) by requiring you to either get very close, or be faced with the fact you're spreading damage out across too many tiles to really be effective.

The weapon (from a lore perspective based on what Regens presented) seems to operate by rapidly discharging microbatteries and ejecting them once they're spent (hence the casings).

Discuss and put forward other ideas! Personally I think we're seriously lacking on laser weapons that can be used in different ways/for different tactics.

On one hand, I see it as a weapon for turning police officers into a better defence force against large gamemodes like Nuke, it's also used when riots (revs, mutiny.) get out of hand and lethal force may be required. This is when the carbine is truly a suppression weapon, as you put it, and this change would give them the power to disable several people into pain crit at once instead of needing to methodically kill each one of the rioters off. A good change for rev and mutiny because it won't make Sec kill them when carbines are pulled out and burst fire is activated. +1.

I like the idea, but the weapon is VERY powerful when compared to anything else in the sec armaments, so it really shouldn't be made available to normal security.

As people put it before, this is at least ERT material.

I was thinking ERT, and again - multiple laser burst fire with some spread.

Lethal only, as a disabler version of this would be ludicrously powerful.

All our laser weapons are single target 0 spread weapons save the X-Ray, which is worthless against anything not a blob.

Having something with supressive capabilities would be a nice change.

I think someone said that 'bullet' spread with laser weapons wasn't possible under the current gun code for laser weapons, I could be wrong though

It's actually coded as a projectile weapon that fires lasers :P

I think someone said that 'bullet' spread with laser weapons wasn't possible under the current gun code for laser weapons, I could be wrong though

It's actually coded as a projectile weapon that fires lasers :P

Is that why it has casings? I was wondering about that in the PR

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use