Code Red SOP Issue

Nakhi

This may be a personal issue with the wording, or maybe it's intentional. It may also fit Tully's SOP things, but I am putting it here just as a general, separate thing.

Anyway, my issue stems from the SOP wiki page, and the in-game text of the red alert, and in particular one part of it. SOP page says that Red Alert is for "the threat is confirmed". However, in game, there's:

Attention! Code Red!

There is an immediate and serious threat to the station. Security may have weapons unholstered at all times. Random searches are allowed and advised.

It feels off to have the two different definitions. As one person said one round, "If you're on red alert all the time, you're on red alert none of the time". Every time an antagonist is found, it would be a required red alert under the SOP page, but the red alert text in game says "immediate and serious threat", and rarely do the standard antagonists (Traitor, Changeling, other crew antags) pose that threat all the time. This, coupled with the blue alert wording:

Attention! Security level elevated to blue.

The station has received reliable information about possible hostile activity on the station. Security staff may have weapons visible and random searches are permitted.

This allows no step between red and blue, where you know the threat and what it is, but it's not so severe that the alert needs to go to maximum (Gamma not counted since it's a non-standard alert). I guess my issue boils down to the very binary alert system (green not counting, so effectively "we think there's something" and "oh god it's killing everyone"), and the contradiction between the SOP page and the in-game text.

So, my suggestion is mostly to clarify which is to be followed, at least add a midway alert between the Blue and Red (if coding permits, since that sounds like it'd be a pain), or maybe just allow some interpretation. I don't know.

As a personal opinion, I don't see why Code Red needs to be for confirmed threats, because then a station will be in red alert all round. Assuming Red Alert protocol was upheld all the time (good luck), you'd get a round where no one can leave their departments and security can reign over everyone almost unquestioningly. That's a hypothetical of course. I personally play Captain, as an example, as resorting to red alert only when there's the immediate and serious threat, and blue alert for confirmed (and suspected) antagonist activity.

My personal interpretation, which I use when deciding what code the situation calls for, falls into this

Green- No threat

Blue - Threat

Red- Direct threat.

Given that blue doesn't fire automatically anymore, rewording it to:

Attention! Security level elevated to blue.

There is indication or evidence of a possible threat to the station, however there is currently no active threat to the crew. Security staff may have weapons visible and random searches are permitted.

might work better.

As well as that, rewording red to:

Attention! Code Red!

There is an immediate and serious active threat to the crew and the station Security may have weapons unholstered at all times. Random searches are allowed and advised.

would make the line clearer

I always felt that there should be more codes to the station

Code green. Nothing bad has happened and we can let our guard down because nothing bad ever happens aboard a NT owned station located in deep space

Code blue. something happened and it was likely not a accident. Suspected threat

Code yellow. Threat is confirmed but chances of loss of life and station damage are low and minor

Code red. Hostile threat confirmed. Chance of large to moderate amount of life lost and moderate station damage. Reccomend equiping sec with better gear

Code black. Very hostile threat confirmed. Extreme loss of life or extreme station damage. Sec is to be equiped with the best gear possible

code gamma. Extremely hostile threat. destruction of station likely.

Code delta. Self explanatory

I don't think it really calls for more code, but a clarification on the discrepancy between the in-game red alert and the wiki red alert would be greatly useful.

As for the extra codes, Gamma is basically what Black is. Perhaps, instead, do what Unbound Travels did. If the discussion was regarding code levels, Black could be for a Central Command ordered quarantine. In other words, virus gets loose via virology or random event. If it gets too widespread and is deadly, the code would be an IC quarantine of the station. Yellow on the other hand could be useful but, again, Red Alert can fit it if there's proper clarification.

I don't think it really calls for more code, but a clarification on the discrepancy between the in-game red alert and the wiki red alert would be greatly useful.

As for the extra codes, Gamma is basically what Black is. Perhaps, instead, do what Unbound Travels did. If the discussion was regarding code levels, Black could be for a Central Command ordered quarantine. In other words, virus gets loose via virology or random event. If it gets too widespread and is deadly, the code would be an IC quarantine of the station. Yellow on the other hand could be useful but, again, Red Alert can fit it if there's proper clarification.

i assumed gamma was for something that will guarantee stations destruction/station genocide and code black is something that would kill most of the crew but a few crew members would be able to escape via shuttle

i assumed gamma was for something that will guarantee stations destruction/station genocide and code black is something that would kill most of the crew but a few crew members would be able to escape via shuttle

Gamma is what's called when there's a serious threat to the station, it's the code directly prior to authorization to use the nuclear device (Delta). It unlocks the gamma armoury with the RPG's and LWAP's for usage.

Epsilon is even worse, and is used to terminate all contracts (deafsquid).

It'll get worked on when we get to General SOP.

There's a lot of internal inconsistency and bad wording going around with SOP and in-game alerts (ie, the whole holstered debate), not to mention the fact that even when Code levels are decreased, everyone acts as if it still was the original one.

It's a long process, but once we get there, oh we're gonna have fun.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use