Modify Atmos

Shadeykins

Specifically...

Change where the plasma line feeds into the distribution loop to not include the turbine gas line - I feel like it'd make a lot more sense if the turbine gas line - in the distribution loop APC room - was completely separate and unattached to the big shamble of other pipes to free up some space...

And cut out or cut back on the currently existing freezer array in favour of some free space that better allows people to rig up additional pipes for either the distro loop or for the turbine gas line.

If not that, at the very least there's a few places where gas pumps are doubled up - in what I assume is an attempt at better pipe control - where there could simply be a valve instead. Again, a great example of this is the pump feeding into the turbine line about six pipes away from the tank. The primary two pumps leading from the plasma line and oxygen line both can slug out 4,500kpa, but that's irrelevant because both are choked by another pump, meaning you cap out at 4,500kpa output despite having 9,000kpa input.

With LINDA, the concept of superpressurizing/supercooling gases and putting them into canisters for atmos has sort of lost it's appeal and I think it'd make more sense if the space was freed up to give atmos technicians some breathing room if they want to do something other than fill tanks all day. *Cough* Turbine *Cough*.

But really, this'd drop the time it takes to rig up a proper turbine gas line and make the turbine a viable option for what it's actually suppose to be - a different way of powering the station.

I would second some rearranging in atmosia. The turbine pipe outlet is in a terrible spot where you have very deadly gas mixes being pumped right next to the air supply pipe and it also makes most any other work in atmosia require complete revamp of the system while the turbine gas is being pumped. You can actually fit more shit in there if you are clever using the different scrubbers and supply pipes but it is not feasible to do by hand every round.

Even if there was even just more floor space added people could build new systems for awhile and screenshot them to help design a new and improved atmosia network.

I'm kinda curious why we have a vertical atmosia to begin with, horizontal makes more sense and that is a lot of emtpy space, we can keep the 2x2 filler of space tiles between atmosia and tunnels if need be, but expanding atmosia wouldn't be the end of the world. I've debated suggesting that we turn the external tanks into an internal 8 pack to make it a potential bombing target of fun.

I'd like to add..

Cut out the excess lines on the scrubbers network. At the end of all the filters there's a line connecting it to the turbine line, for reasons unknown.

As the gas present has gone through every single filter, there's no gas leftover and therefore.. No reason to have a connecting line.

Just put a cap on the end of it.

I'd like to add..

Cut out the excess lines on the scrubbers network. At the end of all the filters there's a line connecting it to the turbine line, for reasons unknown.

As the gas present has gone through every single filter, there's no gas leftover and therefore.. No reason to have a connecting line.

Just put a cap on the end of it.

That line is actually for if you don't filter something out, so that it can be redirected through the mix tank. Rarely ever used though.

Atmos is not designed to be completely efficient specifically to encourage the reconfiguration and designing of new systems. These dangerous seeming flaws are easily tweaked away at round start, but become more difficult once you get pumping gas through them.

I suppose, but I look at it from this angle.

LINDA pretty much nullifies plasma or N2O grief with atmos, and therefore there's no real reason to have plasma lines connected or an additional line at the end of the scrubbers network - because they're functionally useless for traitors as is.

But good that I know what that line is for now!

Either way, I'm saying efficiency is important - especially at round start - because of how slow LINDA is in the first place. There should be as few pipes as possible, with as few connections/random dooamahickeys.

Isn't it possible to have pipe caps at a few junctions here and there so people can cut in if they want to make modifications? As it stands present modifications to increase line efficiency require you to ratchet up active, pressure filled pipes anyways.

Hate to double post, but I wanted to add on this.

Atmos Grief is pretty much outright bannable, so why do we have the lines hooked up like they are to make it easy?

The efficiency of an atmos network also has knock-on effects on server performance, so there should be strides made to make the pipenet use as few pipes and work as reasonable as it can to both reduce the number of calculations involved and to get the most out of LINDA.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use