Can we speed up Linda?

SpaceTimeNow

If LINDA has bugs, report them.

1. Linda is to resource hungry and thereby to slow to simulate atmospherics. Not sure if you can call this a bug, it's more a fundametal flaw in the entire system and from my point of view this means the atmos code is not even working in the first place! Is it still considered a bug if your code issn't able to do what it's supposed to do? Bug sort of implies that it can be fixed, right?

2. This:

Linda, what are you doing?

2bhdqss.png?1

Sadly i failed to get the screenshot of it reporting 102% Other

Everything else is a direct result of 1, so it won't be fixed, but here you go:

3. Almost endless spacewinds, the pure definition of something annoying.

4. Have you ever tried to repressurize a room with LINDA? If you use the tools provided by the air alarms you will probably over and undershoot the pressure like 10 times until you just say fuck it and set 130 kPa as a save value on the air sensors.

5. Cycling airlocks are slow as balls, which results in everyone just forcing them open and shut. Maybe not shut, because who cares, it's not like a room can depressurize anyway.

6. A room can have two different atmospheres if a room has a vent on one site of the room and a huge breach on the other side of the room, then the tiles next to the vents are still at perfect atmosphere.

7. Breaches are actually no issue anymore and you can literally ignore a small breach without any problems

Do i really need to go on?

And, there is no "we don't undo LINDA now", would you like to put in the effort to revert it, make sure every single little thing is functional, then reimplement the latest ZAS on top? If you do, please, I welcome you to try it.

I don't even know where to begin. First off, i will definatly not invest my time into something that is not agreed on beforehand. If i would have the time to implement it and the server to use it on, then i would have done it already instead arguing the obvious in this topic. And why does my implementation need to be flawless anyway, if Linda has so many bugs like i pointed out above, which are still not fixed?

If you want to keep Linda, i sadly cannot stop you. If you want to spread that code further into the codebase and invest more time in fine tuning something that is doomed to fail, then go right ahead. All i can say is you made a mistake introducing Linda and you make a mistake now. On the flip site of me not having a say in the codebase, I also won't be that poor guy that will have to rip out even more Linda in a year when finally everyone realizes that it was a bad decision, so i guess that's a plus.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've sat by and quietly watched this thread for long enough. Too much of this thread is unrelated to the initial suggestion of increasing the process rate of LINDA, and instead seems to focus on returning ZAS.

Because of this incredible derailment of the thread and the general attitude of the more recent replies, I am going to lock this thread from further replies.

If you wish to discuss the suggestion of speeding up LINDA, you are welcome to create a new thread which will be free of the clutter this one currently possesses.

A discussion on returning ZAS would need to be its own thread, though I will say up front that it is unlikely to get coder and maintainer support, and would need to be kept civil and not devolve into attacks on coders or posters from either side.

This is to serve as a reminder that the suggestions forum is for SUGGESTIONS and any threads within this section are expected to remain on topic to their suggestion and to remain civil so as to encourage open and constructive feedback and development.

TOPIC LOCKED.