Assorted minor sec suggestions

Coldflame

As someone who plays sec/blueshield a lot, I've got a few suggestions for the department in general as well as individual jobs:

SOP enforcement:

Now the round starts at green alert instead of blue, I think it'd make sense to expect sec to follow the related SOP. Changes I propose would be:

-Sec start without armor or helmets- These can now both be found in each sec locker, to be taken at blue alert of the discretion of HoS/Warden. This has the side effect of preventing open-carry tasers until blue alert

-Sec officers no longer spawn with tasers. The armory now starts with nine tasers instead of three, to be distributed either at blue alert or at the decision of the warden.

-(More controversial and might not be a good idea) Batons are now only available from the warden instead of sec lockers, leaving sec with only flashes and pepperspray at code green.

Brig Physician:

I don't own this role, however I've noticed a few issues with it that might be worth addressing:

-Remove access to equipment storage and the prison wing. There's no reason for them to have it, at all. The only logical reason would be to reach a prisoner in danger at perma, but a brig physician entering perma should usually be with an officer anyway

-Remove their baton and pepper spray (if they actually spawn with them, not sure). Again, I have no clue why the brig physician gets or needs these. They're a doctor, not a sec officer with a white uniform and a medkit.

-Access to a bed and essential surgery tools- The brig physician currently has to cart any prisoner or officer with a broken bone or other internal injury to the medbay anyway, which almost makes their job redundant beyond first aid.

Space law along with the IAA/Magistrate:

Space law currently doesn't really enforce due process for suspects before they are sentenced

IAA and the Magistrate: Currently they don't see much use. Usually a bad HoS will ignore IAA/Magistrate, and a good HoS won't need them anyway.

-Append space law that any prisoner facing a sentence over 30 mins is allowed to request legal representation, which must be upheld if at all reasonable. In the event the sec department has the IAA or Magistrate, locating such a person is the responsibility of the suspect.

-Append space law so that any prisoner with a sentence over 45 mins is allowed to request a trial, which must be upheld if at all reasonable. The trial should be as fair as possible and, ideally, not have the same party in charge of both prosecution and delivering the verdict (If possible, a jury trial would likely be fair though it would slow down the process in most cases).

Blueshield:

Right now the blueshield's pretty balanced and not really missing anything, though I still think it could use some other changes along with the other sec roles:

-Fax machine? The blueshield's one of the most likely to know of impending threats to the station and not be directly dealing with it, along with one of the most likely to be a neutral party during head disputes/incompetence.

-Sec officer access- The blueshield already has access to all of the gear available to sec officers by default, and access to equipment storage would give them another recharger (currently they can only access one), along with being able to get a new set of handcuffs without bugging sec for them.

-Remove detective access- There's no reason for them to have it. I'm not even sure it's intentional the blueshield starts with it.

-Spare ammo? The detective gets two spare speedloaders, so I'm not really sure why the blueshield doesn't even get one. It might be a balance concern, but he spawns right next to cargo anyway.

Sorry about that wall of text. Might add some other suggestions later if I think of any.

SOP enforcement:

Now the round starts at green alert instead of blue, I think it'd make sense to expect sec to follow the related SOP. Changes I propose would be:

This is how rounds start. Infact the 'intercepted enemy communication' (Aka, 5 minutes in Auto-Blue) was removed a while ago. So, Command has to manually upgrade to blue, security just needs to be better aware of whats going on.

-Sec start without armor or helmets- These can now both be found in each sec locker, to be taken at blue alert of the discretion of HoS/Warden. This has the side effect of preventing open-carry tasers until blue alert

I'm fine with this, especially since players who get Job Changes into Sec have a hell of a time getting equipped, I believe there are 6 Security Officer slots by default and 8 Security Lockers (not counting the Pod Pilot, Warden or Head of Security's personal lockers), I believe they all have Security Armor in there anyways, so just changing spawn to beret/security cap and putting helmets in all the locked lockers seems fine by me.

-Sec officers no longer spawn with tasers. The armory now starts with nine tasers instead of three, to be distributed either at blue alert or at the decision of the warden.

This doesn't seem like a good idea, mostly because the Taser is standard equipment, it's a non-lethal means to take unruly or violent offenders, the taser is effectively the insurance policy that late-join Security Personnel can get to the brig and get briefed on the situation, late-joining a Nuke Ops round and walking past the bridge only to get shot to hell by Ops because all you have on you is a flash and handcuffs alone is reason enough to keep the Taser as spawning equipment.

-(More controversial and might not be a good idea) Batons are now only available from the warden instead of sec lockers, leaving sec with only flashes and pepperspray at code green.

Again, Batons and Tasers are non-lethals. Security staff are assumed to be trained with them. Having extra/spare Batons in the Armory is fine, but leaving security with items that are easily countered (welding masks/goggles/sunglasses for flashes, gas masks or even surgical masks block pepperspray) means security would have no reliable way to apprehend a greytider, revolutionary or antag without putting them in crit first to keep them down long enough to cuff. These items exist in the first place to give Security personnel the ablity to do their job without physically harming a person to the point their life might be in danger.

Brig Physician:

I don't own this role, however I've noticed a few issues with it that might be worth addressing:

-Remove access to equipment storage and the prison wing. There's no reason for them to have it, at all. The only logical reason would be to reach a prisoner in danger at perma, but a brig physician entering perma should usually be with an officer anyway

I strongly disagree, medical emergencies can arise at any minute, the time it would take just to find and get a Security Officer or the Warden to open up the prison to check the prisoner in the first place would likely mean the death of the prisoner. Brig Physician entire job revolves around keeping Security and Prisoner's in their custody in best condition possible. Half the time, the only RP or interaction a Brig Physician might get is doing Psych Evals or talking with brigged or perma'd prisoners, as very few Security Officers ever hang around Security, and the Warden always seems to be watching Cameras or fucking around in the Armory if they even are in the Brig at all.

-Remove their baton and pepper spray (if they actually spawn with them, not sure). Again, I have no clue why the brig physician gets or needs these. They're a doctor, not a sec officer with a white uniform and a medkit.

I can't say I've ever seen a Brig Physician with a Baton or Taser, but having a Flash or Pepperspray makes a lot of sense, since these are typically self defense items, if a prisoner gets violent or rowdy, having these handy to quickly put them down makes a lot of sense. And, against prisoners these are one of the few times they are guaranteed to work as prisoners have no protection from them, giving the Physician enough time to stun and run back outside till the Warden can come deal with the prisoner.

-Access to a bed and essential surgery tools- The brig physician currently has to cart any prisoner or officer with a broken bone or other internal injury to the medbay anyway, which almost makes their job redundant beyond first aid.

This one makes sense, I'd like to see the Infirmary expanded a bit with a micro-surgical center and Body Scanner, though I can understand if the Physician is only meant to do First-Aid and basic medical care. Would make detection and removal of slave and explosive implants a hell of a lot easier. Would also add a few bottles of some kind of sedative to that list, morphine or ether I believe put people to sleep but I'd need someone to confirm.

Blueshield:

Right now the blueshield's pretty balanced and not really missing anything, though I still think it could use some other changes along with the other sec roles:

-Fax machine? The blueshield's one of the most likely to know of impending threats to the station and not be directly dealing with it, along with one of the most likely to be a neutral party during head disputes/incompetence.

Eh, not really the job of the Blueshield to keep NT informed. You're a Mercenary Bodyguard assigned to keep VIPs safe, you can fill the role of advisor and request Heads or IAAs fax centcom if you feel it's justified, but Blueshield is rarely in their office as is. I'm not saying it would hurt anything to give them one, but it's as job for the IAA or NT Rep to tell Centcom the heads are fucking up, not the guy hired to protect them.

-Sec officer access- The blueshield already has access to all of the gear available to sec officers by default, and access to equipment storage would give them another recharger (currently they can only access one), along with being able to get a new set of handcuffs without bugging sec for them.

Oh god, please no. I've seen enough Blueshields think they are Security as is. Blueshields have a fair amount of access as is, it's not even your job to arrest people, just restrain them until security can take them off your hands. Giving Blueshield sec access is going to send the wrong message to a lot of people and increase the number of Blueshields who patrol the station and not doing their job (aka babysitting the heads or Restricted Areas like the bridge.)

-Remove detective access- There's no reason for them to have it. I'm not even sure it's intentional the blueshield starts with it.

Didn't even know they had this access. Seems like a fluke or hold over. Might make sense if the Blueshield is charged with personally looking into break in of areas they are incharge of, I have a hunch this might have been a lazy coding work around to let Blueshield have access to Medical Records and Security Records, but I don't know.

-Spare ammo? The detective gets two spare speedloaders, so I'm not really sure why the blueshield doesn't even get one. It might be a balance concern, but he spawns right next to cargo anyway.

Bug Cargo. Bug RnD. You're job is basically to babysit the Captain, if shit starts getting out of hand all you need to do is tell the head you are babysitting that you MIGHT need to get more supplies or better armaments. And unlike a Detective, you have a Hybrid Taser and Stun Baton, Revolver is basically your last resort and should be used if you really want to make a point (and probably break a bone or two in the process)

This pretty much makes sec completely toothless against...well anyone---not to mention that it *requires* the Warden or HoS to be around to be able to deal with anything.

I've recently made a PR that re-adds helmets to sec lockers, as that's a very valid point (officers will still spawn in with helmets and such)...but uh...these changes would pretty much nerf security right into the ground.

I also play Sec/Blueshield a lot, and here are my thoughts about your thoughts! :D

I see where you're going with these, but Sec officers need those things. The tazer and baton together provide an idiot-proof and non-harmful way for Sec to control suspects both at a distance and up close. If you take them away, Sec is basically defenseless against even the most lightly-armed suspect and can really only control people by asking politely (and hoping they're not wearing sunglasses). While I fully endorse using the minimum level of force necessary, that minimum level is usually the tazer/baton.

Brig Physician:

I agree 100% with this.

I agree 50% with this - yes on the pepper spray, no on the baton. Like I said up there, the baton is often the minimum level of force necessary, and being a Brig Physician means you occasionally have to corral unruly prisoners/suspects. I think that the baton is the only 'weapon' that the Brig Phys should get, though.

While I have often privately wished for these things during a round, I think it goes too far and beyond the role of the Brig Phys. I understand your complaint about taking people to medbay making the BP redundant, but I think turning the BP into a surgeon as well as a paramedic (which is basically what they are now) would make Medbay redundant.

-Append space law that any prisoner facing a sentence over 30 mins is allowed to request legal representation, which must be upheld if at all reasonable. In the event the sec department has the IAA or Magistrate, locating such a person is the responsibility of the suspect.

-Append space law so that any prisoner with a sentence over 45 mins is allowed to request a trial, which must be upheld if at all reasonable. The trial should be as fair as possible and, ideally, not have the same party in charge of both prosecution and delivering the verdict (If possible, a jury trial would likely be fair though it would slow down the process in most cases).

Frankly, I feel that crew should be able (and encouraged) to request these things at any time, for any reason.

I feel kinda 50/50 about this one. Deep down in the warmer portions of my gut I feel that the almighty Fax Machine should be restricted to command staff only. It's not really the BS's job to call the shots on any level, it's just to assist the shot-callers. Having access to a fax seems to supersede the staff placed above the BS in the chain of command in a subtle way.

I think the BS should have expanded access in general, but not for this reason. I'd just put some extra equipment in their office if it were up to me.

Agree 100% :D

One BS change I'd like to see myself is replacing their revolver with a semiauto that only the BS gets. It would function more or less identically to the revolver, it would just look and perhaps sound differently.

I'd also like to see the BS office redesigned/repositioned in some way. The current placement seems very random and the office itself is quite boring.

As someone who plays sec/blueshield a lot, I've got a few suggestions for the department in general as well as individual jobs:

SOP enforcement:

-Security should start with armor. But I can see the helmets being removed.

-Security officer no longer spawn with tasers. Oh dear God no. As much as I hate instastun, security officer's still need the damn taser.

-Batons are now only available from the warden. See my comment on tasers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use