Vox nitrogen tank availability

Munks

For one of the few things in this game that players will die in seconds without, nitrogen tanks are far too scarce in number (the only ones I'm aware of being the ones in EVA, and ones you make yourself using nitrogen canisters)

Playing medical, it's not uncommon that I'll have to try and save a Vox whose tank was stolen. A round last night with an unresponsive AI and me having no access to EVA (forcing me to keep the Vox in cryo for a long time until I could get a replacement) made it obvious that we don't have near enough access to these things as we should.

I'd like for there to be spare tanks (if not the fullsized ones they spawn with, then ones that are at least the same size as the extended emergency air tanks engis get) in both medical and engineering, as well as possibly scattered around in the o2 lockers around the station (possibly with the same availability as the oxy deprivation kits, i.e. not hard to find but not in every locker you come across either)

I think having a Vox closet in medical would go a long way.

For the most part, it should have these things:

Specialized Vox Nitrogen tank: The default Vox tank. 2-6 Avaliable, pressurized to 606kPa

Vox Anesthesic Tank: 80%N2O, 20%N2. 606kPa, would allow Vox to be put under in surgery without actually killing the poor bastards. And yes, this mixture does work, I tested it a few months ago with a cooperative Vox (Yikikiachi I believe, I honestly can't remember Vox names and call them all Kiki or Yaya) and he was put to sleep and woke up just fine when I removed the tank and replaced it back with his usual one.

Charcoal Pills/Bottles: Just spare bottles of Charcoal/Anti-Toxin should a poor Vox be exposed to large amounts of Oxygen and forced to breath it. Pretty much every time I've ever treated a Vox in medbay they have Toxins damage.

Vox Salbatumaul Pills: 10u Pill, 8u Salbatumal, 2u Charcoal. Salbatumal is technically toxic to Vox, so mixing in a small amount of Anti-toxin would give medical a go to treatment option if they need to treat a Vox with a large amount of Suffocation damage.

Box of Cortial Stacks: Box with 4-6 CS's and an injector should a poor Vox have their stack removed by an incompitent doctor/sadistic member of the crew. I'm not 100% sure if Stacks are keyed to the individual box, but I've been forced to borg a few Vox who'se stack was remove and disposed of and we couldn't retrieve it before the Vox died.

Part of the theme of vox is how alien their biology is. They're meant to have trouble with a lot of those things. However having an emergency replacement tank in med would make sense and be helpful. Cortical stacks are meant to be keyed to that vox. Getting a new one would be a major change to them.

NT is very much a human prioritized company, so I'd be very much against anything that makes it too much not focused on them.

NT is very much a human prioritized company, so I'd be very much against anything that makes it too much not focused on them.

So... why do most of our regular heads of staff have fur and tails?

I think having a Vox closet in medical would go a long way.

For the most part, it should have these things:

Specialized Vox Nitrogen tank: The default Vox tank. 2-6 Avaliable, pressurized to 606kPa

I don't mind the idea of there being some more nitrogen tanks available but I'm not really keen on the idea of having the other suggestions. Part of the downfall of vox is knowing that it's harder for medical to deal with you. If i end up in medbay as a vox and i'm in bad shape I honestly do not ever expect to actually be saved, it's just something you come to accept if you regularly play vox.

Vox Anesthesic Tank: 80%N2O, 20%N2. 606kPa, would allow Vox to be put under in surgery without actually killing the poor bastards. And yes, this mixture does work, I tested it a few months ago with a cooperative Vox (Yikikiachi I believe, I honestly can't remember Vox names and call them all Kiki or Yaya) and he was put to sleep and woke up just fine when I removed the tank and replaced it back with his usual one.

I cant say that I would trust being put under even with vox-safe anesthetic, even the short time of being exposed to icky dusty oxygen when tanks are being switched is unappealing to many regular vox players.

Charcoal Pills/Bottles: Just spare bottles of Charcoal/Anti-Toxin should a poor Vox be exposed to large amounts of Oxygen and forced to breath it. Pretty much every time I've ever treated a Vox in medbay they have Toxins damage.

Vox Salbatumaul Pills: 10u Pill, 8u Salbatumal, 2u Charcoal. Salbatumal is technically toxic to Vox, so mixing in a small amount of Anti-toxin would give medical a go to treatment option if they need to treat a Vox with a large amount of Suffocation damage.

Never really had a problem with the amount of charcoal/pills available in medbay to start with. Providing a chemist is there then there's no reason they cant just make some special vox mixes and failing that there are always sleepers. Does Salbutamol even have a negative effect on vox? If it does, i haven't noticed it - i used it to keep a vox alive in a sleeper and i didn't notice toxin levels rise at all.

Box of Cortial Stacks: Box with 4-6 CS's and an injector should a poor Vox have their stack removed by an incompitent doctor/sadistic member of the crew. I'm not 100% sure if Stacks are keyed to the individual box, but I've been forced to borg a few Vox who'se stack was remove and disposed of and we couldn't retrieve it before the Vox died.

I'm definitely against there being a box of cortical stacks. It just wouldn't make sense for them to be on the station and they're not just something you should be able to easily replace. A vox's cortical stack is a vital part of who they are and you cant just replace that with a brand new one. Not only does it make little sense (pretty sure outsiders aren't even supposed to understand much about cortical stacks) but assuming NT somehow just has a surplus of cortical stacks on hand why would they risk implanting them into crew vox and risk the personality/behavioral changes an unknown stack would bring?

Vox Salbatumaul Pills

Pills/injections of pure nitrogen work like a weaker version of salbutamol for Vox. It only cures oxy damage at about 1/3rd the rate, and doesn't attempt to cap the losebreath at all.

Like FoS mentioned, Vox players are typically very wary of "vox-safe" anesthetics, even when they trust the source to be competent enough to actually mix it. Simply requiring exposure to oxygen during pre-surgery prep and post-surgery clean-up gives them pause.

Cortical stacks shouldn't be something there are "extras" of, since the cortical stack is like a second brain for a Vox that stores it's personality. Each one is unique, so you can't really have "spares". Moreover, not even NT really understands what the cortical stack does, how it works, or anything about how they are made originally, so they can't be expected to have the capability of producing new ones.

A way of re-implanting the stack through an injector would be great though. Kinda silly that something like that requires a full cavity implant into the chest because the stack is too big to re-insert into the head.

Some spare tanks wouldn't be a bad thing, toss them in a special tank dispenser in medbay or something.

Because the last time NT tried anything to do with that, five stations got vented into space and a fueling base was set alight.

I just double checked Salbutamol today. Salbutamol is safe for vox. I took over 20 units in pill form and there were no negative toxin effects.

Does removing the cortical implant kill the Vox now? I have had it removed a few times before and just RP’ed the effects for the rest of the round. I would be all for it having some gameplay effect, nothing is more Vox than being killed by medical over a broken hand. If not death, perhaps brain damage?

The way I have been handling this IC (also as one of the parties to blame for it I guess) is that with the declining list of qualified applicants for all jobs across the station, Nanotrasen has had to start making employment exceptions for positions in Epsilon Eridani on a trial basis. Human only command and security staff is still the norm across Nanotrasen’s footprint and would be the preference on the Cyberiad were they able to implement it with the staff at hand.

Obviously it’s not official, but since I don’t know the official lore its how I rationalize it with the rest.

Personally, I've never had to deal with a lack of nitrogen as a Vox. Even if I lost my tank, I could probably get dosed up on charcoal / pentetic and get help from engineering or science for that. Besides, if there's a Vox nitrogen tank, wouldn't there also be a Plasmaman plasma tank?

The way I have been handling this IC (also as one of the parties to blame for it I guess) is that with the declining list of qualified applicants for all jobs across the station, Nanotrasen has had to start making employment exceptions for positions in Epsilon Eridani on a trial basis. Human only command and security staff is still the norm across Nanotrasen’s footprint and would be the preference on the Cyberiad were they able to implement it with the staff at hand.

Obviously it’s not official, but since I don’t know the official lore its how I rationalize it with the rest.

This is now my new headcanon.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use