GIVE ME BACK MY GPS JERKS - A guide to telescience!

Froststahr

Telescience isn't used as it should in my opinion, there's lots of oft untapped potential within telescience, and this guide shall hopefully teach you how to use it effectively along with a couple ways to be useful.

How do I work this thing?

It is actually quite simple, 7th grade level math actually!

So, as a quick explanation. picture the station, and all z levels as a graph, x equals the direction right, y is up, -x is down, -y is down, z is depth, just think of it as the z-level, i.e, derelict station vs. spacestation13. (You can't go negative, that's just explaining how to modify your teleports to be more precise), so say you have 56, 133, and you want an item that's three to the left, and two down, you would take away three from x, and two from y, and bam, now you have 53, 131, enjoy your clown suit.

But wait! Before you slap in that number and teleport the captain in accidentally and get yourself shot, you have to calibrate and figure out what c is in the equation y=1x+c. If you understand that equation, great! If not, don't worry, you don't quite need it. If X was anything other than one you'd probably want to know it though.

Open one of the closets and wear the radiation suit, to protect you from the teleporter's radiation, now grab two GPS units, name them each something you can remember, I name the one I keep on my person the first four letters of my name (i.e, "FEAR", for my character fear of the wind) and the other one "TEST". Set the one labelled "TEST" on the telepad (TIP: Make sure you don't set it on the cargo telepad, that one is useless). And head to your computer, you might want to open notepad at this time as well (windows key + r, type in notepad and hit enter). Click on X and type in 30, and then Y and type in 31, and lastly, click Z and type in 3 (1 is the station's Z-level, but if you're sending GPS's around there some dick might steal it. 3 is in space so much less of a chance), now you can finally click send. Proceed to click the GPS you have in your inventory and see the coordinates that "TEST" is at. For this example we're going to assume it's 25, 36. Write those two numbers in notepad, you can just copy paste this and fill in numbers.

X SEND1= 30

X RESULT1= 25

Y SEND1= 31

Y RESULT1= 36

Now, many players do two tests to test for slope, however I have NEVER had a slope different than one, so this seems to be unnecessary.

So we now have our results, notice anything? The result that we get for X is 5 below what we put in, so if we want to send something to 80, we have to type in 85. The result for Y is 5 above what we put in, so to account for this we must put our y coordinate as 5 below the intended location.

An example:

I want to save a dieing player from 155, 68, 1. That's empty space just south of the station, so feel free to send a GPS to make sure you're doing your stuff right.

to account for X, we must add 5 to the desired location, so we punch in 160 for X. For Y, we must subtract 5 from the desired location, so 63. What we have punched in is 160, 63, 1. So we should be able to receive the dead player in the example.

One more thing to note, if you need a coordinate of a location, head to that location and then use your GPS to find the location of yourself, easy!

So, what SHOULD I do with this?

Helpful things! Be creative! I'll list a couple examples however

Send dead/injured people to medbay

This is pretty self-explanatory, but you need a few items. First you'll need a crew monitoring computer circuit, and the necessary items to build a computer. I'm not going to explain how to do that here, it's up to you to "acquire" the stuff, you're a scientist so you should be able to get all of that. Or you can stay in close contact with a medical bay staff who's glued to the crew monitoring computer. But quite simply what you do is teleport in dead/injured players, as their coordinates are given on the computer, and then send them to med-bay. (Here's a coordinate to help you out, 143, 125 is the med-bay lobby).

Assist security.

Why not teleport arrested persons to the brig, if security are willing to trust you? How this would optimally work out is you have a crew monitoring computer, and a security headset. When an officer arrests somebody they can have you teleport the bad man to the brig, so they don't have to be dragged through the hallway. To do this you'd have an officer stand still, probably out of the way a little and they'd say "teleport the guy to the right of me that I've arrested", and hopefully they stand still for a second so you don't mess up. (Here is two of the cells 106, 166 and 106, 170.)

I NEED A TAXI

You can figure this out, someone wants to get to a location quickly. You can do so, you probably want to gather a bunch of coordinates before doing so.

One more note

Your teleporter can become uncalibrated with use, it will tell you, hit recalibrate, put your GPS back on, and repeat what you began with.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use