New Job: Mining Foreman

Malarks

~Mostly brain-storming and throwing a series of thoughts up here. Totally open to suggestion and such.~

So I have played a fair bit of Shaft Miner, lately.... And I cannot help but keep feeling like there ought to be someone back at the mining outpost, managing the smeltery so the miners do not have to walk back across the whole asteroid when someone needs a delivery. The QM is pretty (or ought to be) busy, ship-side, and is generally not over on the asteroid. I know this sounds like a hella boring job... Managing the smelters, getting the refined goods to the station.... But they could also spend time on getting new equipment for the miners (read: pestering R&D and Robotics), maintaining the Mining Station (something about limited air supply for the airlocks, comes to mind) or cracking Abandoned Crates. Heck, they could even co-ordinate w/ XenoArch (who should have access to the Supply channel, to begin with) to get more out of that job, as well.

3 Shaft Miners may seem like a lot, and it certainly can be! (Love seeing rounds with 10k+ value mined, or w/e) But Miners tend to, well... Mine. They don't really seem to go back to the mining station unless it is to unload, deal with a call or if they're bored and are just gonna spend the rest of the round fucking around. That's another thing. The Foreman could make sure that the Hardsuits worn by players not on the rock (Gooning it up or SSD) become available for new miners that arrive on station. Too often have I seen folks log on late, only to find that there are no Hardsuits available.

Beyond tasks expected of the job, it would also be a good position for experienced miners, giving new miners someone who is _there_ and can help them out. Helping them with getting hardsuits on/modified, unloading ore, etc.

Anywho, thoughts?

I don't mean to be a downer on suggestions, but DZD is currently working on porting the mining overhaul, so we're trying not to do anything for mining until it's done to keep things simpler to transition or to judge what needs to be tweaked and fixed easier.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use