Confusion mechanic for rev rounds.

Tornado1555

Hello, I don't logon all that much in the forums as I am usually either in-game or busy elsewhere, but I greatly enjoy playing on this server and the community is a blast.

I just finished a round and came up with this idea, to potentially spice up rev rounds a bit.

Currently how I see it... a revolution winning depends directly on how many players are on the server.

So: To somewhat stop the curve from being "Lol Rebel Scum" at 20 players, and "O Gawd Run!" at 40, a potential interesting option is getting the converted revs to only have an indicator of who the leaders of the revolution are, and not for their fellow converted revs.

So, in effect (in my opinion) this would make the revolution rounds more chaotic and the lower rank revolutionaries more prone to infiltration and confusion, because a converted rev would not be able to tell who is and who isn't a fellow rev. To balance this, the leaders of the revolutionaries would still be able to tell who is and who isn't a converted rev, and so they would be able to balance the chaos by assigning targets and overseeing the revs in general, as well as their supply points to prevent infiltration.

TL;DR: Making the converted revs unable to discern one another.

Anyways, cheers and thanks for the game so far. It's been a blast!

More murderbone?

fbz_e41a4666b4aa008619448fe8fa073906.jpg

It WON'T fix the gamemode. It will only make it more confusing.

Sure this way you won't know who will out you and whether revolution is still going strong, but...

Well. I don't think it will turn out well. We will see more civ vs civ murderboning now.

True that, but the murderboning happens regardless. At a certain point in a rev round, energy weapons get passed out amongst the crew and they tend to start shooting people not marked with a red "R."

Making the converted revs not know whether they should energy gun blast someone or not might actually reduce the amount of murdering greyshirts.

No.

I'm sorry, but please no.

Rev rounds don't need any more confusion.

It'll just lead to situations like "Oh hey I don't know if you're a fellow rev or not." Followed by a bunch of dead bodies.

Perhaps, but revolution round currently are more akin to a rapidly dwindling security and command crew fighting an ever increasing semi-organized and slowly arming infantry regiment. The confusion is currently pretty much one-sided, and perhaps this might equalize it a bit.

Of course, I'd probably recommend we code a biscuit into the AI's status display on occasion, so therefore my suggestion is probably bad for balance anyways. Something has to be done with rev rounds, though.

I see. I really think that rev rounds could be made to be very fun, I just haven't seen many ideas about how to make them better. Which explains my likely horrible suggestion. If nothing else, it might get the ball rolling and perhaps rev rounds wont need to be replaced afterall.

you could replace rev with a Deathmatch event, 2 teams spawn on opposite sides of the station, armd with random weapons from pistols or shotguns to laser files and a red or blue jumpsuit. and watch how the station gets torn apart. after 10 minutes the singularity at level 2 spawns at the gravity generator. until one team is left

taking of your jumpsuit makes you gib immediately. same if someone takes it off you. taking a hardsuit off your teammate BEFORE they got scanned for cloning is a banreason. player complaining would be needed to sort that out.

Rev is meant to be a Deathmatch anyway, as far as i know

Shadowlings was proposed among the admins as a potential replacement for revolution. It removes the "lolflash" tactics while still keeping the essential Deathmatch core concept. Obviously it hasn't taken that place yet, but the idea of drastically overhauling/replacing rev has come up numerous times as we try to find a way to balance and keep the mode interesting.

If we do replace Revolution with Shadowlings, there will definitely be some tweaks to gamemode to make it a more suitable alternative.

One idea was that the shadowlings have the goal of enthralling / killing a set percentage of the crew (much like the old xenos game-mode objective), while the crew/heads have the goal of killing the shadowlings. The reason shadowlings have a kill component of their objective would be to discourage security and the crew from simply murdering suspected thralls. Killing the wrong guy would actually be assisting the opposition, which would be a highly discouraged tactic.

To balance, when a shadowling dies, anyone they enthralled would be instantly released, removing them from the shadowling side and returning them to the crew. This encourages strategically striking and identifying your enemy, and avoids the issue of having an abuseable deconversion mechanic

Discussion is still on-going about this though, and no final decision has been made. Discussion on how to improve revolution without flat out removing/replacing it is encouraged, just thought I'd share some of the admin team's thoughts on the matter. If we can fix the mode, that would be preferable to removal since we'd have better variety to offer.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use