Give Security Pod Pilots more unique uniforms.

k0mbine

The bomber jacket is cool and all, but pretty much anyone can fetch it from the autodrobe and wear it. I was thinking we give Sec Pod Pilots a full on pilot jumpsuit and helmet. Something along these lines..

As for the helmet.

Or if we want to go the more sci-fi approach.

The helmet can act as an oxygen mask, and the jumpsuit could have mild resistance to explosions and cold, just so it can't be accessible to people via the autodrobe, unlike the formerly unique bomber jacket.

The Sec Pod Pilot sounds like the coolest job on the station, but in reality it turns out to be pretty stale. I think making them have unique uniforms can liven the job up a bit, and make them easily stand out in a crowd.

Why do they get a hardsuit, is my question? Can we give them a unique jumpsuit and a softsuit that doesn't slow them down (as much), really the space suit is only for midflight repairs or swapping out the battery, in extreme cases they might have to bail from their pod but they can usually flee unless the pod is on fire.

I never really said hardsuit. I said just give them an olive drab jumpsuit with MILD explosion and cold protection. It's not going to be OP or whatever, it will be just something like a plus for people who bought Sec Pod Pilot with their karma. I want Sec Pod Pilots to be noticed, because, right now, they just look like a sec member with a bomber jacket on. I mean, you can go the the Object menu and click Roll Down Jumpsuit like any other jumpsuit.

Well, the Detective and the Brig Physician have barely any red on them, if any. I think if we made it black and red, it would end up looking like syndicate shit and blah blah. I like olive green, it's easy on the eyes, and if you see someone wearing an olive green suit around he would definitely stick out. Also, if you guys decide to add it, it would be cool to add an alternate suit that looks like the Star Wars x-wing fighter pilot uniform, you know, that utilitarian, orange, freakin' cool looking uniform that Wedge Antilles wears... I think it would fit really well with the general theme of the game. I mean, you guys already ripped off the suit from Dead Space and the general look of Xenomorphs. You guys even got System Shock in there (AI). This game is basically a mixing pot of pop culture (wrapped around pretty solid gameplay mechanics, of course,) and it DESPERATELY needs more Star Wars references and items. A fighter pilot's uniform would be absolutely perfect for a new Star Wars addition.

Personally, I tend to be the only Pod Pilot that actually plays on most rounds during the day it seems. I have only seen one other on one round the last couple days. The hardsuit has bugged me. While useful, the pilot's job isn't really "Space Enforcer" as much as a sort of recon and maybe rapid response. Given that there's a passenger seat for the pod, it can move an actual officer into a place.

The helmet can act as an oxygen mask, and the jumpsuit could have mild resistance to explosions and cold, just so it can't be accessible to people via the autodrobe, unlike the formerly unique bomber jacket.

The Sec Pod Pilot sounds like the coolest job on the station, but in reality it turns out to be pretty stale. I think making them have unique uniforms can liven the job up a bit, and make them easily stand out in a crowd.

I am getting slightly off topic, but I do like the idea of an actual flight softsuit and helmet that has at least vacuum protection. The helmet, however, should not act as a mask. There's a security gas mask for that and, if we go with a basic flight helmet, would look like the helmet link of a modern pilot. Then a regular flight suit uniform would look better. The Blueshield and NT Rep get special uniforms.

Of course, all this would need spriting, as stated already, which is not something I can do. I will throw in at least and say that a flight suit at least for the pilot would make them stand out a bit more, which means the Pod Pilot may get a bit more attention. As I said, it's probably the least played karma job (other than Barber).

Just, please no Star Wars orange jumpsuit. The Imperial pilot is far superior.

I may or may not be the other sec pilot, but yeah the role is pretty vacant most of the time.

You get a cool space pod... and spend 90% of a shift lost in space because nobody thought to build a GPS into your pod.

Getting a GPS is mandatory for me, Hand held crew monitor when MediScience is being smart and not wanting bodies to float around in space forever.

A softsuit would make a LOT more sense and help the Pod Pilot stand out, it really just needs to protect them from vacuum and hold an O2 tank/their jetpack. Bomber jacket is fine, though their other clothing options are indistinguishable from standard Sec choices. If the softsuit didn't slow the Pod Pilot, it would be nice since they could patrol on foot with it.

Honestly, half the time I play Pod Pilot I wind up bugging HoS/Captain for permission to let Robotics make me a Gygax so I can patrol the internal part of the station and still pilot something. The few times it's been approved, I had fun tasering Revs or blasting them with a laser cannon.

The only other request would be for there to be TWO pod pilot slots. This may or may not require a 2nd pod bay and pod, but having a wingman would just feel better. Having top gun in spess and all that. Or just someone to tag along with along with you.

I may or may not be the other sec pilot, but yeah the role is pretty vacant most of the time.

You get a cool space pod... and spend 90% of a shift lost in space because nobody thought to build a GPS into your pod.

Getting a GPS is mandatory for me, Hand held crew monitor when MediScience is being smart and not wanting bodies to float around in space forever.

A softsuit would make a LOT more sense and help the Pod Pilot stand out, it really just needs to protect them from vacuum and hold an O2 tank/their jetpack. Bomber jacket is fine, though their other clothing options are indistinguishable from standard Sec choices. If the softsuit didn't slow the Pod Pilot, it would be nice since they could patrol on foot with it.

Honestly, half the time I play Pod Pilot I wind up bugging HoS/Captain for permission to let Robotics make me a Gygax so I can patrol the internal part of the station and still pilot something. The few times it's been approved, I had fun tasering Revs or blasting them with a laser cannon.

The only other request would be for there to be TWO pod pilot slots. This may or may not require a 2nd pod bay and pod, but having a wingman would just feel better. Having top gun in spess and all that. Or just someone to tag along with along with you.

I just realized how awesome it would be to have an olive green or IMPERIAL Star Wars pilot uniform (BTW Nakhi that picture gave me so many flashbacks to playing Battlefront 2 early in the morning when I was a kid) with a bomber jacket over it. Shit would be so cash.

Also, love the idea of being a wingman, would provide more incentive to be a sec pod pilot since you would have to be someone's wingman.

I would also like the security pod pilot's stuff to be more distinct. I never wear the bomber jacket due to it having no armour, and not being able to hold a taser / egun. This means that when on-station, I wear a security jumpsuit and armour, which is what every other officer wears. As a result I am indistinguishable from other officers. A different jumpsuit would be good - maybe black with red stripes / chevron thingies?

Why do they get a hardsuit, is my question? Can we give them a unique jumpsuit and a softsuit that doesn't slow them down (as much), really the space suit is only for midflight repairs or swapping out the battery, in extreme cases they might have to bail from their pod but they can usually flee unless the pod is on fire.

Security pod pilot gets a hardsuit as they may need to go into space for whatever reason (for example: arresting a space-born vox, manipulating dead people to somewhere the pod can get, and escaping from the pod if it is too highly damaged to move).

They can, however, change the pod equipment from inside their cockpit, though.

While useful, the pilot's job isn't really "Space Enforcer" as much as a sort of recon and maybe rapid response. Given that there's a passenger seat for the pod, it can move an actual officer into a place.

This is entirely what the security pod pilot is for, along with taking out space carp and maaaaaybe going on a space hunt for some fugitive.

[...]

As a sec pod pilot, you shouldn't be getting lost in space - you are, after all, an officer, and if there's nothing in space you need to do, you should be assisting sec with other, more mundane, stuff.

Want a wingman? Get another officer to accompany you. However, I've never seen this being done.

Security pod pilot gets a hardsuit as they may need to go into space for whatever reason (for example: arresting a space-born vox, manipulating dead people to somewhere the pod can get, and escaping from the pod if it is too highly damaged to move).

Aside from arresting the stray vox, none of this requires a hardsuit. If anything, wearing a hardsuit would uncomfortable to downright restricting of their piloting skills. When's the last time you saw a helicopter pilot wearing kevlar or a flak jacket?

I've noticed this too, seems like more of a bug/oversight than a feature, since you can't flush yourself in a disposal chute but you can change out your weapon system or power cell mid flight.

While useful, the pilot's job isn't really "Space Enforcer" as much as a sort of recon and maybe rapid response. Given that there's a passenger seat for the pod, it can move an actual officer into a place.

This is entirely what the security pod pilot is for, along with taking out space carp and maaaaaybe going on a space hunt for some fugitive.

I agree with Nakhi and disagree with you. Pod Pilot is more of an advanced scout or pest control. He can spot threats early but the pod is ill suited for dealing with large number of threats, like Nuke Ops or Raiders. A fugitive, maybe, though realistically you are trying to herd a fugitive back onto the station where the rest of sec force is waiting on the other side of the airlock. Lasers can penetrate the windows of the station, but much of the outer windows have been removed or there is lots of corners or solid objects that block your shot preventing external take downs.

As a sec pod pilot, you shouldn't be getting lost in space - you are, after all, an officer, and if there's nothing in space you need to do, you should be assisting sec with other, more mundane, stuff.

Borders of Z levels aren't clearly defined and you'd never know you passed a Z level unless you knew what to look for. Patrolling the station requires you to move around a bit. And the AI Sat is on the very border of the Z level, get more than 3-4 tiles south of it, you are in another z level. And good luck returning to the station quickly with the RNG. Several of the landing sites you are expected to check out from time to time are similarly close to the edge of the map and as such without a GPS you may or may not get what you are looking for. God help you if the AI reports someone on the Telecoms sat and the HoS/Captain orders the pod pilot to check it out and you don't have a GPS.

Want a wingman? Get another officer to accompany you. However, I've never seen this being done.

It's unrealistic and infeasible to snag a sec officer to fly around with, and if you find a body someone has to walk home. Having a 2nd pilot slot wouldn't change things up that much, pods are fragile as is and 2 pod pilots are just as likely to hit each other than they are their targets. Closest thing you get to a wingman is the Mechanic, and he's always focused more on expanding his pod bay over actually making pods and exploring the area.

Aside from arresting the stray vox, none of this requires a hardsuit. If anything, wearing a hardsuit would uncomfortable to downright restricting of their piloting skills. When's the last time you saw a helicopter pilot wearing kevlar or a flak jacket?

Well, if the body is in a narrow tunnel, or inside the derelict, you kind of have to go outside to retrieve it. If your pod's too damaged you'll have to go into space to escape. Both of these would need some form of protection of space... Maybe a softsuit would suit the sec pod pilot.

I've noticed this too, seems like more of a bug/oversight than a feature, since you can't flush yourself in a disposal chute but you can change out your weapon system or power cell mid flight.

Agreed.

I agree with Nakhi and disagree with you. Pod Pilot is more of an advanced scout or pest control. He can spot threats early but the pod is ill suited for dealing with large number of threats, like Nuke Ops or Raiders. A fugitive, maybe, though realistically you are trying to herd a fugitive back onto the station where the rest of sec force is waiting on the other side of the airlock. Lasers can penetrate the windows of the station, but much of the outer windows have been removed or there is lots of corners or solid objects that block your shot preventing external take downs.

That was my point - maybe I wasn't clear enough. My comment here was aimed at the latter part of Nakhi's - that is, that the sec pod pilot is suited to reconnaissance-type stuff.

Borders of Z levels aren't clearly defined and you'd never know you passed a Z level unless you knew what to look for. Patrolling the station requires you to move around a bit. And the AI Sat is on the very border of the Z level, get more than 3-4 tiles south of it, you are in another z level. And good luck returning to the station quickly with the RNG. Several of the landing sites you are expected to check out from time to time are similarly close to the edge of the map and as such without a GPS you may or may not get what you are looking for. God help you if the AI reports someone on the Telecoms sat and the HoS/Captain orders the pod pilot to check it out and you don't have a GPS.

With some practice, you should be able to memorise where the z-level ends - you have a tonne of space to the north and west of the station, but you have little room for manoeuvring near the AI satellite and toxins. Just beware around these areas.

It's unrealistic and infeasible to snag a sec officer to fly around with, and if you find a body someone has to walk home. Having a 2nd pilot slot wouldn't change things up that much, pods are fragile as is and 2 pod pilots are just as likely to hit each other than they are their targets. Closest thing you get to a wingman is the Mechanic, and he's always focused more on expanding his pod bay over actually making pods and exploring the area.

True - you could always get the mechanic to make sec a new pod (though the armour would be a civ pod's) and then recruit another pilot. :D

Well, if the body is in a narrow tunnel, or inside the derelict, you kind of have to go outside to retrieve it. If your pod's too damaged you'll have to go into space to escape. Both of these would need some form of protection of space... Maybe a softsuit would suit the sec pod pilot.

My point was that they don't need a hardsuit to do this. A softsuit would make much more sense, their 'flightsuit' if thats what we want to call it could come with a helmet to protect them from vacuum. A lot of Sec Pilots do their once over on the station and then just march around the station in their hardsuit regardless of what code the station is in. Given a softsuit, they could accomplish their job without being tempted to be a supercop.

Hardsuit is really just temporary, I'll work something out.

And I'll say it simply, a second pod pilot isn't happening just so you can reenact Top Gun. (and for many other reasons.)

I made some stuff tell me if its acceptable http://imgur.com/un0CILP. Also i dont think Pod Pilot needs special hardsuit.

I was thinking more of the olive drab jumpsuit, with the olive helmet... do people not like that? I mean your picture is nice, but it just looks like a standard sec jumpsuit. The boots are neat though.

Security is red, hence why he's making them red. Olive Flight Suits are based off the old WW2-Korean war Era uniforms. The Sec Pod flightsuit could be red with green highlights or something, though the soft suit could be a more green.

Honestly I feel black should be reserved for the 'Senior' positions. Warden and HoS have their black because they are incharge of the brig and security as a whole, respectively, and have more authority. Plus it goes better with the hat. Pod Pilot doesn't get a special cap (which unless it was a flight helmet, wouldn't make much sense either way.) So staying with the greens, yellows or blues to distinguish Pilots from Sec Officers would be a good thing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use