Blob rounds

Sheakhan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is why I stated what I did in the OP, if the players are being shitbirds, instead of sitting around for an hour or two watching the inevitible consequences of their glorious shit-flight over shitstorm mountain, there should be a quick and easy opton for ending the doomed round and moving on to something the retard crew can handle. I don't care if the option is IC or OOC, its necessary.

That's the same as removing it, because every time, without fail, the crew will vote to skip.

Hooves? Are you some kind of dirty sub-human?

If the crew always votes to skip, that strongly supports my belief that it is an unliked gametype, which strongly supports actually removing it. I guess I don't see the issue?

Then change it, don't remove it. Find out why it's not fun, and make it fun again.

UC Guy (and to a much lesser extent, me) have been working to balance the blob. It has gone to an instant loss to very much fight-able since then, but we are still trying our best to make the mode enjoyable.

But honestly, saying "The crew wont fight it, so get rid of it" is a terrible idea. Give suggestions to improve the mode to make it more enjoyable or interesting, i do agree that "sit here and keep shooting lasers" is a very boring ass thing, so helps us make this an enjoyable experience. Adding back in the Quaratine Law, in my opinion, i thought would incite the crew to fight the thing instead of sitting on their asses hoping it would go away.

Medical can be pumping out Dexalin (or Dex Plus), Bicardine, tricord, etc. to help the people fighting it, robotics can be making borgs/mechs to combat it, hell even a Medibot will make fighting it 10x easier. Cargo can be ordering emitters/weapons. The fact the players WONT HELP, doesnt mean the mode is terrible, it means they need to change their mindset. Most of the crew wont do jack shit against a Malf AI, or even acknowledge it, should we also get rid of that?

Also, having the shuttle not being able to be called makes perfect sense ICly, as not only would the AI keep you all from boarding it, but NanoTrans wouldnt allow the fungas to spread.

EDIT: Also Ufoinski, stop with the non-content posts

Alright Earth, here are the changes I would like to see to make the mode more tolerable:

1. Nerf the blob. Test run, give one guy a laser gun and a recharger, have him try and stop the blob. If the blob is stalled, neither advancing or being pushed back, you've nerfed it properly. Try tweaking the blob resource growth rates to aid with this.

2. Make failure to comply with quarantine more easily punished. Every minute, the AI or the mode itself should lock down nonessential rooms and flood them with plasma in preperation for cleansing by fire, but also to convince crew to get the fuck off their asses before they get incinerated.

3. Start a Nuke countdown at the very beginning of the round with a very visible timer, so everyone knows its do or die. 30 minutes should do it, allow the captain to extend it.

4. Temp ban crew members who do not aid in fighting the blob in some way or another, include it in the server rules. This complacency blatantly spoils the round for everyone else.

5. PERMA jobban security and heads who do not move to kill the blob or assist, as they are obviously not responsible enough to play that role.

6. Make STRONG blobs less resistant to fire. Not as weak as the normal blob, but enough so that they can, eventually, be burned. Once the room is aflame, nobody can get in there to kill these suckers.

7. Shut down the mining shuttle and research shuttle so nobody skitters off like a douche.

8. Make the blob's win condition based on the number of blob cores, and make it high, so people get a better chance to get back into the game, and thereby another chance to actually enjoy it!

people aren't avoiding fighting the blob because they're dumb, it's because fighting the blob is boring and tedious. don't deny it- people adamantly rush miles out of their way to pursue pretty much any other antag, because fighting most other antags is actually fun and exciting. if something isn't working, the trick is to either fix it or get rid of it, not bash everybody over the head with it until they've taken so much brain damage they start to enjoy it.

also, on your other points- you either make the blob easy enough for one person to defeat, or you invite the whole station down to attack it at once. you can't do both, unless you feel like making it absolutely impossible for the blob.

I'm not talking about making it a one man job. I'm saying that if you make it so that one guy can at least hold it off, if only for a little while, then two people can defeat it after a suitably long battle, three with some effort, four with a little planning, and five with the proper equipment. Make it possible, as it stands it isn't.

As far as fixing it, making it less obnoxious (via making it possible at all) would go a long way towards that. If nothing else, getting dead players involved as blob cores as soon as feasible would ensure their maximum enjoyment.

If these fixes don't make the round less shitty, then remove it. But try fixing it first. Browbeating may very well be the necessary course of action, because while certainly there are some who just hate fighting blobs, there are many more who just don't care to because they would rather dick off.

Fine, ignore me when i say that it is possible to kill the blob alone, i don't care.

But anyways, this:

3. Start a Nuke countdown at the very beginning of the round with a very visible timer, so everyone knows its do or die. 30 minutes should do it, allow the captain to extend it.

I like this idea, it gives some kind of ultimatum to the crew, either you fight or die in shame.

8. Make the blob's win condition based on the number of blob cores, and make it high, so people get a better chance to get back into the game, and thereby another chance to actually enjoy it!

This also has sense, less nodes and more cores. The objective to win could be x blob tiles and 3-5 cores, depending of the how much crew we have.

The blob is far, far too strong in melee. I'm not sure if it's the Overmind clickspamming with "Expand Blob" or being enveloped by the blob (=> 5 tile adjacency) that does it, but whatever takes me from zero to dead in 0.6 seconds is very very bad.

To go alongside "Less nodes, more cores", I'd say either decrease the amount of resources required for a new core (Down to 80?), and/or make Resource blobs increase the maximum resource pool along with the regeneration rate.

The AI law 0 needs to be held until after Code Delta is called.

Let me show you why with the story of one round

>AI State Laws

>Law 0, IT'S A BLOB ROUND (Reason 1)

>AI floods plasma, causing mass death and butthurt (Reason 2)

>The plasma flood is effective, but cannot kill the blob, prolonging the round, Delta is never reached, even though damn near everyone is dead. The station is only nuked when an admin sends a deathsquad (Reason 3)

I disagree, partly because I have no idea what you were trying to say, and partly because if the players don't know its a blob round right off the bat, they are even less likely than they already are to mobilize and destroy it effectively, making the blob rounds even worse, rather than better.

I would say then, that give the AI an additonal law once Code Gamma is reached and modify the initial Quarantine law to expressly forbid drastic actions such as plasma floods, explosives, or nuclear initiations.

The additional Gamma law would, of course, enable those.

I disagree, partly because I have no idea what you were trying to say, and partly because if the players don't know its a blob round right off the bat, they are even less likely than they already are to mobilize and destroy it effectively, making the blob rounds even worse, rather than better.

The plasma flood killed a lot of people, pissed off a lot of people, and made the round drag on way longer than it should have.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use