Lag Killing Master Controller

Wintermote

well, I'd love to see this, but it's probably best to wait until bay gets this ported in, and then port that over, unless mark knows how to port this

I wouldn't count on Bay to do this--they don't even have a garbage collector yet; I'd guess VG will likely be first with TG following suit later.

Funny enough our server rarely suffers any real "lag" without there being some special circumstance such as the singularity being loose.

Quick point of clarification, this is their Process Scheduler. They say it's supposed to replace master controllers, but it seems to work alongside it code-wise to handle things more efficiently.

That aside...

I have been working on this for about 2 days now, and am hopefully nearing a point where it seems to be working and at a state where it will be considered safe to post a PR for it. I got into contact briefly with the guy who is managing this release, and they were able to give me a little help getting it integrated. I'm now trying to update it a little since he posted a commit for it after I had already started messing with it.

Unrelated but not really: BYOND is such a pain. Updating one file ends up with runtimes from a completely unrelated file. Progress has been slow, but it IS being worked on.

Funny enough our server rarely suffers any real "lag" without there being some special circumstance such as the singularity being loose.

Ideally I'd like singulo and explosion lag gone, as well; getting a new GC slotted in will help immensely towards this; ZAS will still be an issue, but that could potentially be tackled, too.

Just a matter of effort, time, skill, and knowledge of the code, really--ours and others.

This is actually a process scheduler to aid an existing master controller.

Its job is to schedule high intensity jobs and effectively allows different master controller processes to run concurrently. Normal behaviour is that jobs are run in order of being received and can lock the master controller from running other processes until the first process is completed. This is why people can still run around like chickens even while bombs are going off on LLJK servers, while we cannot.

There will still be lag, and we'd need to port over tg's garbage collector to fix that; This process scheduler would just mitigate and sometimes outright prevent logjams that usually cause server-wide halts over things that take too long to execute..

Ideally I'd like singulo and explosion lag gone, as well; getting a new GC slotted in will help immensely towards this; ZAS will still be an issue, but that could potentially be tackled, too.

Just a matter of effort, time, skill, and knowledge of the code, really--ours and others.

Oh yes, definetly, I am just saying that the master controller is not a main problem, personally I think ZAS is more of a bitch.

We should always be open for optimization, but maybe not when it would require 7 hours of work for a slight increase in performance, of where there were no real issues in the first place.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use