Why I think the Vox changes should be rolled back

Diseasel

Do you, as a Vox player, want to roll-back the Vox changes?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good work on the latest patches, but I'd like to officially protest the Vox changes.

I feel like much of the point of Vox is to emphasize their alien nature. They're supposed to be bird shaped, inhuman, alien, and very small of stature. People who karma unlock the Vox do so because Vox are supposed to be different to the other races. When you homogenize the races, it makes unlocking them moot.

Getting rid of their Magclaws I think is a huge mistake, as they accentuated the alien design. To be allowed to wear shoes now seems very out of character for them. Also, would the shoes not be hilariously big on their small feetsies?

To a lesser degree, but for the same reasons, I feel the new nitrogen tank is a bad move. I really enjoyed having to think carefully about my inventory because I didn't have a backpack, or to wear a backpack while carrying my tank in hand.

Finally, I enjoyed the ability to leap as a counterbalance for the greater difficulties of working with a large nitrogen tank.

To all the people that protest it makes Vox too difficult to play: This game emphasizes RP. If you wish to powergame, choose a race that's easy to powergame such as the starting races. I want to RP, please please just let me RP something that's weird and different. That's why I spent every penny of the karma I have earned here on Vox, and I miss my old Vox a lot.

tl;dr:

- Please roll-back the nitrogen tank

- Please roll-back to the magclaws

That's all I really want.

Amen.

Also, on the old Nitrogen tank, I really liked how it looked as a sprite. This new crotch tank looks incredibly weird. I liked how the old tank gave the Vox a hunchback appearance, again exaggerating their alien form.

What exactly is stopping anyone from locating a tank like the old one and getting it filled and then ditching the new one?

I cant really comment on the leap since it was something i never really used anyways and I do think most of my enjoyment from Vox isn't from things like magclaws, leaping or tanks. I really just liked them because they're bird-like and are something a little different, even if it's not a bunch of fancy complicated game mechanics there's still a whole lot of behavioral things that come along with Vox to make them enjoyable (or frustrating to deal with).

That's a good point about the tank. Perhaps the Vox embassy could stock both so players could run in at the start of a round and swap if they don't like their current one.

My point stands on Magclaws: They're claws. The new ability to wear shoes (and come with them by default, not even the need for sandals like Tajarans) seems very OOC for a race with big taloned bird feet. If we're getting rid of magclaws at least adjust the sprite to look like bird feet.

I'm sorry, I just feel quite passionately about game mechanics and physical appearances reflecting lore. Plus if your main focus on Vox is RP then having the physical appearance changes rolled back to make me happy won't affect that so we both win. :3

My point stands on Magclaws: They're claws. The new ability to wear shoes (and come with them by default, not even the need for sandals like Tajarans) seems very OOC for a race with big taloned bird feet. If we're getting rid of magclaws at least adjust the sprite to look like bird feet.

Vox has been able to wear shoes for a very very long time; it was added months ago, well prior to when I returned (there's a lot of snowflake code for spritesheets and the likes just so it works properly. Vox just simply chose never to wear shoes; why wear shoes when you start with a free pair of no slowdown no slip shoes that grant immunity to atmos, as well?

The leap was removed purely because of balance reason, it gave a vox a really strong advantange above other players. Even in it's nerved from, you basicly could initiate a coin flip against any armed enemy near to you. Just leap him and grab his weapon faster than he could.

Vox getting a improved (smaller) voxigen tank was indirectly a result of the recent changes to security equipment. I made a topic about how vox can no longer play security because sec officers lost many equipment slots (Webbing + smaller security belt). After some discussion the consent seemed to be, that we just don't have enough coders to balance every change twice, once for vox and once for the rest. So the Vox big tank requirement was removed and now the vox will be able to store as much as everyone else. To balance this buff, there had been made a cut-back somewhere else. So it would either be the ability to EVA or the magclaws.

I am not particularty happy about the general state of the vox, especially since the magclaws were part of the EVA "gear" of vox and now you slip all the time in space. And i don't think it was necessary to remove the magclaws because Vox have been nerfed really harsh in the past and were never given anything in return. The Leap, suddenly having Blood and it's now impossible to clone vox.

Is there some way of implementing a choice?

For example, magclaws could be spawned in EVA (unless they're still there) or available at all magboots places such as mining and engineering.

A slightly more complicated route could be to make it an option in the character setup screen.

Really I want to protest all the changes, but I understand that other people feel differently and we should reach a compromise. I never used Leap myself, but I felt that the naked EVA, no blood and Magclaws were a fantastic balance to the necessity to carry around a massive tank in your back slot. I enjoyed the fact that it was a DIFFERENT PLAYSTYLE to the other races. I understand that players have race favouritism but surely part of choosing a race involves weighing up the pros and cons and not simply protesting that your chosen race doesn't have the same capability to play certain roles as the other races. Security is by far my most played role; I loved the challenge of the old Vox playstyle in that role; I wouldn't want it to be the same as playing the other races. If you want to powergame security, why not pick a race that can do so, rather than protest that you want the races homogenized?

Please coders, I beg you, by hell or high water just give me some way to get my old Vox back.

Or if you flat out refuse to do that, at least give me my karma back.

Is there some way of implementing a choice?

For example, magclaws could be spawned in EVA (unless they're still there) or available at all magboots places such as mining and engineering.

A slightly more complicated route could be to make it an option in the character setup screen.

Really I want to protest all the changes, but I understand that other people feel differently and we should reach a compromise. I never used Leap myself, but I felt that the naked EVA, no blood and Magclaws were a fantastic balance to the necessity to carry around a massive tank in your back slot. I enjoyed the fact that it was a DIFFERENT PLAYSTYLE to the other races. I understand that players have race favouritism but surely part of choosing a race involves weighing up the pros and cons and not simply protesting that your chosen race doesn't have the same capability to play certain roles as the other races. Security is by far my most played role; I loved the challenge of the old Vox playstyle in that role; I wouldn't want it to be the same as playing the other races. If you want to powergame security, why not pick a race that can do so, rather than protest that you want the races homogenized?

Please coders, I beg you, by hell or high water just give me some way to get my old Vox back.

Or if you flat out refuse to do that, at least give me my karma back.

Vox still can naked EVA. The magclaws had absolutely no downside and were very powerful. I suggest that they get magclaws back in EVA as reskinned magboots. That way they have all the penalties of magboots, but still are fluffy enough for Vox.

The smaller tank was to keep Vox from being severly hampered in doing a regular job. I like that they now are not having to juggle their inventory constantly.

Their leap was the worst thing ever. They got free knockdown from a distance with no way to prevent it. While neat that they can leap lore wise, it is a terrible thing in game. Kinda like slimepeople ventcrawling made them a favorite of griefers.

TL;DR Put magboots reskinned to be claws in xeno EVA. Keep up the good work!

I reiterate: If you want to powergame security, why not pick a race that can do so, rather than protest that you want the races homogenized?

I won't roll up this issue again, you can read about it in the appropriate topic.

As for the magclaws, you can still get one from EVA and you can also wear normal magboots.

I play vox exclusively, I love the lore, I love them in general, gameplay wise:

I don't care about not being cloneable, seriously, I don't die enough, and if I do being cloneable wouldn't have helped, most of the time

leap was OP, REALLY OP, nerfed leap was still situational, but due to BYOND's verb system it was meh(I guess a hotkey could've been assigned)

now, the N2, I like the new N2 tank (except for the sprite),

you're always on internals, and no "muh powergaming" either

the old N2 tank restricted backpacks, that sucked, not to mention how bad vox look with it, IMO

magclaws: okay, they used to be no speed loss galoshes and magboots in 1, the galoshes part wasn't really important, most of the time somebody slips you it's a clown or janitor, and in the case of the latter probably your own fault (unless the janitor's a shithead), for magboots, meh, really, here's the list of things magboots do:

no LOL RNG slipping in space, airflow resistance and speed slowdown (old magclaws didn't have the last one)

LOL RNG slipping in spess: just stupid in general, I think walking stops this but walking is to slow to bother, also there's few cases where it's to big of a difference

airflow resistance: not all that big, the damage caused is, most of the time, minor enough to heal after a couple minutes, things hitting you is another story, but the magboots do help with that (also IIRC there's a hard cap on how much airflow-moved objects can hot you at a time, not sure though)

TL;DR on magboots, not all that important, nice to have I guess

(also, there's still a pair of magclaws in EVA, not all that big since vox can wear regular boots now though)

spaceproofing: fucking, OP, but 1 of the only current bonuses they get, so PLS don't nerf this, ESPECIALLY with the new lung system.

other than that there's still things like a lot of sprites not being designed for vox, and looking odd (seriously I HATE TK as vox because it looks HORRIBLE), and a couple bugs here and there.

I can, however, see where you're coming from, Diseasel, I do feel vox are becoming more "human" (even the lore got changed for this), especially now that raiders aren't a thing anymore, I'll see what I can do code wise to help this though, if I can add and "oldvox" race and make that playable with the same karma unlock, and it gets merged on github, I hope that makes you happy, always puts a smile on my face to see an extra vox on the station.

What I'm concerned about is, as a security officer, stripping a vox, and accidentally removing their nitrogen tank from them.

I think giving Vox a choice between having a backback, satchel, or nitrotank on their back would be nice. It wouldn't quite solve this issue, but it would make it less of an occurance.

I can, however, see where you're coming from, Diseasel, I do feel vox are becoming more "human" (even the lore got changed for this), especially now that raiders aren't a thing anymore, I'll see what I can do code wise to help this though, if I can add and "oldvox" race and make that playable with the same karma unlock, and it gets merged on github, I hope that makes you happy, always puts a smile on my face to see an extra vox on the station.

Dude, I love you so much. Thank you so much if you do this, it would make me so happy. I'm happy to accept the nerfs like removing leap and not being cloneable, all I want is to be superficially identical to the old Vox and to be able to naked EVA like the old days as balance for the nerfs.

Because of how I read up on the lore when I made my character before the changes, I decided that the magclaws were actual prosthetic replacements for my character's feet (the toggleable prosthetics look awful on Vox, and Vox are supposed to be more machine than bird anyway). If there were a forced speed reduction on oldVox magclaws while the mag was disabled, I would have a hard time of things, as I wouldn't be able to remove the magclaws for RP reasons. Having a speed reduction with mag enabled is perfectly understandable.

Thank you again, you're really improving my happiness if you bring this back for me.

Dude, I love you so much. Thank you so much if you do this, it would make me so happy. I'm happy to accept the nerfs like removing leap and not being cloneable, all I want is to be superficially identical to the old Vox and to be able to naked EVA like the old days as balance for the nerfs.

Because of how I read up on the lore when I made my character before the changes, I decided that the magclaws were actual prosthetic replacements for my character's feet (the toggleable prosthetics look awful on Vox, and Vox are supposed to be more machine than bird anyway). If there were a forced speed reduction on oldVox magclaws while the mag was disabled, I would have a hard time of things, as I wouldn't be able to remove the magclaws for RP reasons. Having a speed reduction with mag enabled is perfectly understandable.

Thank you again, you're really improving my happiness if you bring this back for me.

You still CAN eva nude as a Vox last I saw. You just need your nitrogen.

Yup, eldrin is right on naked EVA, though the thing about the new N2 tank is that you can't put it on your back, so you run the risk of having no air if you get slipped

Put it in a pocket. Fixes that. All you worry about is slipping.

Yup, eldrin is right on naked EVA, though the thing about the new N2 tank is that you can't put it on your back, so you run the risk of having no air if you get slipped

Key word being "naked"

Key word being "naked"

Well, I thought they meant naked as in no space suits. What idiot runs around naked in SS13?

Key word being "naked"

Well, I thought they meant naked as in no space suits. What idiot runs around naked in SS13?

Voxes. They can do that. In space.

Clearly newvox are actually humans but sieved into experimental human-made cortical stacks, while oldvox are actually vox primalis off the arkships.

That's almost plausible. I like it. With a bit of rework I can see that the lore could support both old Vox and new Vox.

We've got over half of people here protesting the new Vox in some way or other. Can I get some confirmation as to whether optional rollbacks will be implemented? For example, as Kei' suggested, having a backslot N2 tank as an option instead of backpack/satchel in character setup, or having magclaws selectable under the prosthetics menu. Or just making a seperate selectable species of oldVox available to all who've unlocked Vox.

Cheers!

well, making it a seperate species won't be happening, because you only get your karma bought things applied when you buy them, never after, also i'd cause other problems, but I have another idea

EDIT: well I guess there's ways to circumvent the first problem easily, would still cause other problems though

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use