Boom Headshot! (aka, where to hit your enemy)

SpaceTimeNow

I was thinking about how SS13 combat could be improved.

Right now it seems to me that if you are really going for the kill you can basicly default to attacking the head. Tell me if i am wrong, but i think if someone has a helmet, it's save to assume that he will be also wearing a body armor. So there might be a use in shooting in the leg but since the head has so many side effects that can appear (like brain damage, blurry vision and stuff) it's a save bet to go for the head.

Then again i do not get into very much PVP because i usually don't play antags myself. So i my "PVP" is more like the usual security stunning people and not actually going for a kill. I would like to ask you for your experience with combat in SS13. (Range and Melee)

But i think there should be emphasis on where you aim at on your target.

- Like aim for the right hand to have a chance to shoot his weapon out of his hand.

- Aim for the leg to have a chance to make him drop on the floor. I know that someone would drop on the floor when you break both legs, but the amount of shots/attacks that would need, would probably better spend on the head to just kill him.

Everything other than the center mass (the body) should not be an auto hit. Moving limbs are not easy to hit, so if i want to go for "crit damge" i am for the head, if i want to go for chance of him dropping on the floor i go for legs and if i just flat out want to kill him i go for the chest.

So many people defaulting for the head (me probably included) is just silly, every shooting instructor would tell you to aim for the body. Your target is moving, you are breathing and a head is a rather small target compared to the body. It would make much more sense to force people to default for the chest (auto hits) and if they want to disable the go for hands, arms, legs and if they feel lucky and want crit they go for the head.

tl;dr: Everything other than the chest should not be an auto hit. But going for limbs has a chance to disable the opponent and a shot to the head does extra damage. Discuss.

I would prefer we keep to the system we have (Or had, with paincrit stuns.) now. This just makes combat irritating and dull. Being able to push people over is annoying enough.

Not to say this is the worst idea, no. But I think realism doesn't make a game fun on its own.

If I want to disable my opponent, I use taser/ stun baton stuns (Or break the hands, if I don't have that option.) and then laser/ projectile/ cuff/ rip off the head. Or disarm push.

It doesn't need to be complex.

Basicly my main point here is to shifting the default of targeting head to a default of targeting chest, because it would only make sense and not every stupid fight would end with at least braindamage or a broken skull. But to make the "non default" options somewhat viable and interessting so they should be able to provoke sideffects. (Dropping weapons, activate the flashbang in the officers hand, all the cool stuff that could be done with this)

I am mainly talking about lethal weapons here, where you shoot your taser or hit with your baton is indifferent.

I like this. It seems a lot like the V.A.T.S. system from Fallout (Even though I default to headshots there, it's just for the satisfying pop of their heads). While an amazing idea, I'd imagine coding it hit chance for specific limb targetting would be rather tedious, if not requiring a total rewrite of some ancient spess code. I wouldn't mind seeing a blueshield shoot a revolver from a traitor's hand seconds before point-blanking the captain's head off, though.

I second this suggestion. If you hate RNG and want reliable hits, aim chest. If you want to roll the dice and get contextual effects, hit something else.

Bonus points if you code in passing out from the pain of getting your balls shot off.

How about:

Aiming at the chest still has a 'miss' chance, but any misses just transfer to an attached bodypart - legs, arms, head, groin. So it's always a hit, but you may hit other areas.

Aiming at a limb or the head has a higher miss chance, with a possibility of also hitting an attached bodypart. Head - miss goes to body. Leg - miss goes to groin.

If someone is stunned/resting on the floor, the hit chance should be 100% no matter where you aim.

Being able to push people over is annoying enough.

I wasn't aware this was reverted, as I had removed knockdown from disarm (excluding handcuffed), unless you're implying a different source.

While disarm is pretty broken, not having it is even worse really. Hopefully something better can be found soon.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use