Mail overhaul

Kluys

I want to try doing this suggestion as a side project at some point to see if I could code but looking at the wrapping and tagging code today it all seems a little complicated, Ill probably start with something easier and leave this to a real coder that knows what they are doing

Currently we (never) use a system where you can only send things from a department too another department by searching for package wrapper, wrapping up your item and throwing it down disposals after notifying cargo to send it elsewhere

Best case scenario your item arrives at its destination.

Worst case scenario your precious mail goes straight into disposals to be crushed.

I would like to overhaul the mail system a little using a few additions.

• Special packaging machines in departments that you can use to set a destination, the wrapping machine will take the item and throw it back out wrapped and tagged Difrent departments would get difrent coloured wrappings

X3IVQeV.pngEXaKlDE.png

mockup medbay and security wrappers and mockup wrapping process.

• The cargobay would get a large package wrapping machine placed ontop of the belt coming out of the shuttle, This machine will wrap up entire crates and closets and tag them

A second sorttype = 1 sorting machine just before disposals so any tagged items can bypass the delivery office

(optional) An additional large package wrapping and tagging machine at the mining shuttle dock so miners can immidiately wrap up and tag their material crates

(optional) give Heads a special command wrapping machine in their office that ofcourse wraps items in a special command coloured wrapper

This will in the way i envision it create some ease between the departments.

• Engineer gets irradiated, the medbay can wrap up some anti toxins pills and send them

• Science got their stungun they so desperately want too research in one of those pesky lockboxes, Just send it too the HoS using their mail system and have the HoS send the unlocked stungun back.

Cargo wants to send 5 crates to a single location with ease, Set the large wrapping machine too the correct destination and just let those crates pass through

If only we had sane cargo techs most of the time...

Yeah, that's a cool idea. Running around with lockboxes sure is annoying. I just wonder where you will place these new toys, since most departments are running low on space.

well the large cargo/mining ones will obviously go over belts and be huge.

The ones that package single items for departments could have a wall mounted version as well.

Yes, transport of items between departments has always been an issue. One idea I have going around in my head is an interconnected series of basic teleporters that are centrally controlled by telesci, although their job would mostly be keeping them calibrated, charged and shutting them down when engineering starts teleporting rigged fuel tanks.

To work it? Shove what you want to send on the telepad, find another telepad in another department and zip it over there.

Antag options are obvious enough, I guess to balance it it would need to work off the telescrystals, (Fox has said he wants to port the TG telesci system or something) use a good bit of power and maybe have a few restrictions and wait limit between teles. Plus, as its a cargo tele, nothing living could be sent on it. Corse, you can always disable safeguards....

Three main sprites would be needed: The telepad, the control console and a two tile base so it looks like one unit. The syndie telecrystal consoles could work well with a few tweaks.

It would be easier to code/sprite and a little more user friendly. It would also allow for better shenanigans by antags.

Not entirely sure if I would be happy with teleporters, sure it allows for traitor shenanigans but probably a bit much seeing how they could teleport bombs to other places instantly with this stuff.

About the code, I have no idea how to code this because im still very much a rookie. The thing is that machines are already coded in, wrapping is already coded in and so is the entire mail tagging system.

Another thing i dislike about teleporters that it would basically negate the ENTIRE mail system we currently have and it would keep sneaky antags from abusing it (IE one of my funniest admin rounds consisted of murdering the HoS, getting a voice changer, asking for weapon crates over the radio in his voice, cutting open the disposals pipe and having guns delivered to me by cargo for free)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use