Small but necessary changes to the prison labor camp

SpaceTimeNow

I would like to use the labor camp much more, because i think it should be peferred to to just shoving someone in a cell. The prisoners can actually do stuff in there and concentrate their energy to beeing productive instead of annoying everyone around them.

But is think the labor camp is way to insecure for an officer. You basicly arrive in the tool storage, filled with pickaxes and shovels and all the other great weapons. A security officer has to uncuff a prisoner at some point, but doing this out of sight, in a small area and right next to a loads of pickaxes is just flat out suicidal.

There should be some sort of Custom offices -ish airlock system where only a security ID has access to the buttons.

Also there should be a small control room where an officer can at least watch cameras that are inside the labor camp building and maybe one camera at the exit. This camera system should also be accessable for the warden from within his office.

tl;dr:

Make the labor camp more usable and secure so it will be used more often. It will help cool down the heads of the inmates because they can have some fun or focus on something productive and are less like to cause trouble the entire round. Just like in reality.

Does digging remove the "floor" and the area vents to space?

It doesn't, but my guess is that whenever you "create" a new asteroid floor tile, it doesn't come with gasses, so so eventually all the air in the labour camp will be too spread out to be able to breath in

Does digging remove the "floor" and the area vents to space?

It doesn't, but my guess is that whenever you "create" a new asteroid floor tile, it doesn't come with gasses, so so eventually all the air in the labour camp will be too spread out to be able to breath in

Well this makes sense, but issn't there a vent ouside to prevent that? Guess the single vent is just to slow, or the amount of gas stored is to small.

Or are we just talking about prisoners just flat out didding through the outer wall into space?

I'm mostly talking about the fact that the 1 tile thick south wall (the one prisoners are likely to dig) is all that separates the oxygenated Labor camp area from the airless asteroid

Yeah that's kind of a problem, obviously if you use meson scanners then you will see where you dig.

But i do aggree, prisoners should be warned about that somehow. Not sure how though, i think the most intuitive thing would just be having stronger stone, that's not breakable by a simple pickaxe, surrounding the building. But where to stop with that? One of the reason i prefer this type of prison is that you can actually break out of it and maybe reach one of the near outposts, if you are crafty about it.

Yeah, I have been wanting up upgrade perma/the labor camp for a while. Its effectively useless as every time you try to use it, some ass will either vent the entire outpost or hit the ore that explodes. The layout is also pretty poor.

Didn't I already suggest that we port over /tg/station safety pickaxes?

Also, ya, please ring off the gulag with walls completely or give it its own Z-level.

I can't tell you how many times I've broken the gulag on accident as a normal shaft miner.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use